And AMR Management doesn't expect guys to jump ship or call in sick?

Us air needs AA just as badly as AA needs us air. Both can't survive alone and be a viable competitor.

I think they can survive alone, but not as a viable competitor

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

So what exactly would it matter now if they just wildcat strike? The airline is pretty much done. The APA is pretty much done. Might as well just burn it to the ground.

I can't wait for the USAir/AA integration. Will USAPA say "AA set precedent with a BK carrier with the TWA merger"? Or, will they be nice? I hope the "TWA precedent" answer, but I hate AA...

So what exactly would it matter now if they just wildcat strike? The airline is pretty much done. The APA is pretty much done. Might as well just burn it to the ground.
Except AMR has now asked APA to come back to the negotiating table...

Except AMR has now asked APA to come back to the negotiating table...
The APA has no legal leverage at this point. Unless management decides to play nice I doubt there would be any huge improvements.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Well, the company can impose what they want to impose but calling them back to the bargaining table is a good sign I think.

I'm sure they know if they put the hammer down, might as well forgo paying the rent on the HQ because it's going down like a broke crackhead.

Pilots fall under the Railway Labor Act of 1926 (known as the RLA), in laymen's terms, it requires government approval to strike. We can't just walk out w/o notice like teachers or tradeworkers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Labor_Act

True, but what, exactly, are they going to lose at this point? What is an injunction or lawsuit going to do to the APA that hasn't been done, yet? The contract is gone. The APA can be sued and basically be left with no tools to use in negotiations. The tools they have now are completely useless. I would say "here are our useless tools", good luck making us do anything. The RLA could basically ruin the APA if they walked now, but I see no difference between what is happening now and what would happen then. Just a bunch of lawyers arguing over what to do with the APA's leverage, of which is completely useless, anyway. It's a big risk, because they would risk the AA management pressing for a union-free pilot group, but if you don't have the people to do the job, what do you do to get people to apply? Not supporting abolishing a union, but I am pointing out what COULD happen.

I only posted that so pdxcfi understood the process of a strike at an airline, theres actually quite a bit more to it. But that was the simple answer and description of the RLA... Sure it could happen, but good luck convincing 10,000+ pilots to do anything and I don't work at AA so I don't think its appropriate for me to tell them what they should or shouldn't be doing. It's like the previous thread about the new contract at Southernjets ATL and certain people (who don't even work at Southernjets) were giving Derg advice/telling him why he should vote yes on they're new/current contract.

True, but what, exactly, are they going to lose at this point? What is an injunction or lawsuit going to do to the APA that hasn't been done, yet? The contract is gone. The APA can be sued and basically be left with no tools to use in negotiations. The tools they have now are completely useless. I would say "here are our useless tools", good luck making us do anything. The RLA could basically ruin the APA if they walked now, but I see no difference between what is happening now and what would happen then. Just a bunch of lawyers arguing over what to do with the APA's leverage, of which is completely useless, anyway. It's a big risk, because they would risk the AA management pressing for a union-free pilot group, but if you don't have the people to do the job, what do you do to get people to apply? Not supporting abolishing a union, but I am pointing out what COULD happen.

While it would seem that these guys have "nothing to lose," most of them DO need a job. As sad as it is, a crappy job is usually better than no job (and of course management realizes this). Aside from those who have the financial independence to "do the right thing" and walk, most aren't going to feel that they're better off to leave their 20 year seniority at a crappy company and go back to 1st year seniority at a good one (insert airline of choice, who is hiring, here).

Of course, none of this matters if the company folds and ceases to exist, which, if both sides don't even attempt at playing on the same team, is the likely result.

While it would seem that these guys have "nothing to lose," most of them DO need a job. As sad as it is, a crappy job is usually better than no job (and of course management realizes this). Aside from those who have the financial independence to "do the right thing" and walk, most aren't going to feel that they're better off to leave their 20 year seniority at a crappy company and go back to 1st year seniority at a good one (insert airline of choice, who is hiring, here).

Of course, none of this matters if the company folds and ceases to exist, which, if both sides don't even attempt at playing on the same team, is the likely result.

Pretty much, if your 50+ with a family, house, and dog making $175,000/yr working 15 days per month then wham! 125,000/yr and 20 days/month! are you pissed? Hell yes! Quit and walk out? To what? Another major with a 10-15 yr upgrade and 60,000/yr? or leave the industry to the same pay in this economy? Unless your back-up plan is a military Colonel, hedge-fund manager, or surgeon good luck...

Same thing applies when you actually ARE cleared to go. It could cause your company irreparable harm. Are you ok with that?

Pretty much, if your 50+ with a family, house, and dog making $175,000/yr working 15 days per month then wham! 125,000/yr and 20 days/month! are you pissed? Hell yes! Quit and walk out? To what? Another major with a 10-15 yr upgrade and 60,000/yr? or leave the industry to the same pay in this economy? Unless your back-up plan is a military Colonel, hedge-fund manager, or surgeon good luck...

And... in a nut shell - you have defined the catch-22/problem with the whole industry in one small paragraph.

Everyone - please take note. From the top all the way down - this is why we as a group will eat our young, shoot ourselves in the foot, why whipsaw works, why pilot groups are not united, and everything else you can think of.

If the pilots had been allowed to legally strike, this would be resolved by now, or well on the way to being resolved. Instead this will go on for weeks or months.

I can't wait for the USAir/AA integration. Will USAPA say "AA set precedent with a BK carrier with the TWA merger"? Or, will they be nice? I hope the "TWA precedent" answer, but I hate AA...

I had an Airways jumpseater the other day and we were talking about the same thing...

Back