Ameriflight Rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayAre

I would advise anyone looking for a job to go to Ameriflight because you will end up there anyways. Don't waste your time at the Regionals. They treat their pilots horrible, pay horrible and work their pilots to death. They abuse every reg. in regards to duty limitations and their mx department sucks.

I tell you what, I love me the UPS freight schedule. I thought I was gonna hate the M Evening to S Morning deal, but it's a cake walk. I don't agree with some things Amflight does (Pay and Training) but I'd be applying there in a second if the UPS shuffle hosed me.

Will be as long as I don't wash out of training, on a 402 route now.

Ahh i was looking at that job position when it was up but i don't have my PIC type yet, in a couple months i should. DKT doesn't have anything out of Fargo right? if you don't mind you should pm me what the company is like and the general salary for the metro is.. if you are allowed or willing.. if not no big deal.

Ahh i was looking at that job position when it was up but i don't have my PIC type yet, in a couple months i should. DKT doesn't have anything out of Fargo right? if you don't mind you should pm me what the company is like and the general salary for the metro is.. if you are allowed or willing.. if not no big deal.

Our company is really, really big on never telling salaries to even people within the company. Salaries change from route to route based on the number of legs and I think your reviews down the road can differ your pay based on your performance. I will say I make a considerable more amount of money in the 402 then most UPS feeder companies pay their 1900/Metro pilots.

As for the company I've had zero problems with management. They've always been really helpful, supportive, and will stand behind your PIC decision making as long as it's not something real "left field." MX is pretty good, they're old airplanes that have taken a beaten, so stuff brakes, most of the time it gets fixed. You just have to verifiy always, which you should do anyway, but it still can be a bit frustrating.

The UPS shuffle is going strong here in FSD but the dust should clear hear in a couple weeks, and hopefully we get our FAR routes (or one of them) back from those other guys.

If you're seriously interested I suggest just applying for a 402 position if it opens up. Granted I got lucky to upgrade when I did, not a common occurance, but I'm going from 402 to Metro with about 6 months on the line.

Our company is really, really big on never telling salaries to even people within the company. Salaries change from route to route based on the number of legs and I think your reviews down the road can differ your pay based on your performance. I will say I make a considerable more amount of money in the 402 then most UPS feeder companies pay their 1900/Metro pilots.

As for the company I've had zero problems with management. They've always been really helpful, supportive, and will stand behind your PIC decision making as long as it's not something real "left field." MX is pretty good, they're old airplanes that have taken a beaten, so stuff brakes, most of the time it gets fixed. You just have to verifiy always, which you should do anyway, but it still can be a bit frustrating.

The UPS shuffle is going strong here in FSD but the dust should clear hear in a couple weeks, and hopefully we get our FAR routes (or one of them) back from those other guys.

If you're seriously interested I suggest just applying for a 402 position if it opens up. Granted I got lucky to upgrade when I did, not a common occurance, but I'm going from 402 to Metro with about 6 months on the line.

Cool! Thanks for the info. Yea I've kind of heard that about the salaries so that's why I was wondering. I'm going to be PIC typed in the Metro in a month or so was just wondering. I heard it was a good company and I'm from that area. The only thing I don't know if I'd like is the overnight in Sioux Falls every night. I'm assuming it's a crew apartment. I'm currently employed so no rush but if they get one of those routes back out of FAR and need someone I'd be interested, assuming the pay is alright. I know some of the pilots working for the metro operators down here make tons but it's all on-demand and on-call and you don't have a life.. Though I did the UPS thing once, didn't care for it too much but oh well.

My biggest gripe with AMF is their insistence that we operate out of retardedly short runways at airports with no weather reporting when there are longer runways and weather report 5 flipping miles away at the other airport. A 30 year old Navajo within 500lbs of max gross weight can technically make it out of a 3000' foot strip, but in reality, it shouldn't. That's really the most annoying aspect of the otherwise sound safety culture there.

My biggest gripe with AMF is their insistence that we operate out of retardedly short runways at airports with no weather reporting when there are longer runways and weather report 5 flipping miles away at the other airport. A 30 year old Navajo within 500lbs of max gross weight can technically make it out of a 3000' foot strip, but in reality, it shouldn't. That's really the most annoying aspect of the otherwise sound safety culture there.

THATS what makes it fun in my opinion!

Jhugz, you keep saying you think AMF should be paying more... Can you give me a number? While I agree that the TOP end off the payscale is kind of low. I think senior SA227/1900 and EMB-120 Captains get the shaft here BUT PA31 and BE99 drivers get what theyre worth. For many its the first job after instructing, lets face it, at 1200 hours youre not bringing enough to the table in terms of experience to command a higher salary. It is also rare to get a job where you can be gaining turbine PIC with, potentially, 1200 total time. (were hiring off the street B99 Captains now).

So, Jhugz, what is a 1200 hour PA31 pilot worth? $28,000 first year with semi decent benefits isnt unreasonable to me... I would like to hear what you think is fair. Also, I think the training here is better than most 135 companies. Theyre really big on standardization which is really nice IMO.ining

Jhugz, you keep saying you think AMF should be paying more... Can you give me a number? While I agree that the TOP end off the payscale is kind of low. I think senior SA227/1900 and EMB-120 Captains get the shaft here BUT PA31 and BE99 drivers get what theyre worth. For many its the first job after instructing, lets face it, at 1200 hours youre not bringing enough to the table in terms of experience to command a higher salary. It is also rare to get a job where you can be gaining turbine PIC with, potentially, 1200 total time. (were hiring off the street B99 Captains now).

So, Jhugz, what is a 1200 hour PA31 pilot worth? $28,000 first year with semi decent benefits isnt unreasonable to me... I would like to hear what you think is fair. Also, I think the training here is better than most 135 companies. Theyre really big on standardization which is really nice IMO.ining

I can't give you a number man, I would if I could, but it seriously can get me into trouble. It's drastically more. I love to win an e-fight as much as anyone but I'm not risking my job for it, simple as that. I like this gig to much.

As for the whole training thing, I really feel as if you're doing it wrong if you can't get someone from zero to line pilot in two weeks in a piston aircraft. Your training time is just so ridiculious long. You guys also make flying a navajo comparable to the space shuttle. Standardization is great and dandy for a crew environment where you need to anticpate each other, in the single pilot environment it's pretty silly. You go to anyone of our pilots and their 402/metro flow will be way different. Who cares? You're flying alone. As long as the items get done and then backed up with a checklist who gives a damn the order. That's just my 2.50...

Really?

For many its the first job after instructing, lets face it, at 1200 hours youre not bringing enough to the table in terms of experience to command a higher salary.

Whether it's 1200 or 12000 hours, your airplanes make a certain amount of money. You should be paid on what you produce, regardless of your TT count. Period. (there it is again Doug!)

It's UPS, not the feeder company management that causes this. They pick the closest airport to their center, and tell the feeder to fly there.

Don't try to use logic when dealing with big brown, you'll just go crazy.

As for the whole training thing, I really feel as if you're doing it wrong if you can't get someone from zero to line pilot in two weeks in a piston aircraft. Your training time is just so ridiculious long. You guys also make flying a navajo comparable to the space shuttle. Standardization is great and dandy for a crew environment where you need to anticpate each other, in the single pilot environment it's pretty silly. You go to anyone of our pilots and their 402/metro flow will be way different. Who cares? You're flying alone. As long as the items get done and then backed up with a checklist who gives a damn the order. That's just my 2.50...

It's about limiting mistakes. The company has found that the way the flows go is a tried and true way of doing things. So when the crap hits the fan (which happens a time or two) all you have to really do is what's been engrained in you. It comes so natural that you don't even have to think about it. Most mistakes that have happened at the company by pilots has come from deviating from SOP. It's been proven that following SOP minimizes the chances that you would screw up.

It's about limiting mistakes. The company has found that the way the flows go is a tried and true way of doing things. So when the crap hits the fan (which happens a time or two) all you have to really do is what's been engrained in you. It comes so natural that you don't even have to think about it. Most mistakes that have happened at the company by pilots has come from deviating from SOP. It's been proven that following SOP minimizes the chances that you would screw up.

+1 KLB - It works and always kept me out of trouble in the Metro.

Having an idea of what they pay the PA31/BE99 guys over there, I had to do a double take on this. My first year flying 402s at Cape I had $47,000 on my W2. Not knocking you for your pay (you should see where I work!), but just giving you an idea of what operators flying comparable equipment are paying.

Having an idea of what they pay the PA31/BE99 guys over there, I had to do a double take on this. My first year flying 402s at Cape I had $47,000 on my W2. Not knocking you for your pay (you should see where I work!), but just giving you an idea of what operators flying comparable equipment are paying.

I totally agree with that, I may have mis spoken slightly. What I meant to say is that the vast majority or should I say, compared to the "industry standard" for a 1200 hour pilot in his first 135 PIC job, what Ameriflight pays is "OK". Cape Air is exceptional, but they do require thier pilots to have an ATP, right? Again, I think Cape Air is more or less above average, and may possibly be one of the best paying jobs out there for piston twins.

I havent done a ton of research, but I do know of at least 4 other 135 freight feeders who operate PA31's, Barons, and/or 402's and pay thier first year pilots less than AMF.

First year pay at AMF in the PA31/or 99 is $28k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back