Ameriflight memories, trauma

Wow, that was an excellent read. I can't say that I ever flew a route as tough as the authors was, but my time at AMF definitely had more than a few unique challenges that helped me grow as a pilot. Overall it was a very good experience and one that I wouldn't take back for a moment. Stories like this one, however, definitely help put into perspective some of the risks and challenges that face the breed of pilots called Freight Dawgs.

The helmet he speaks of was real. I have it. A present from the BUR ACP on me flying the last day of 132.

How was the Mammoth layover? It almost sounds nice... but then I've spent far too many days sitting in AMF crew apartments to actually believe that.

How was the Mammoth layover? It almost sounds nice... but then I've spent far too many days sitting in AMF crew apartments to actually believe that.

It was probably the best in at least in the BUR system. A good car too, low mileage Ford Focus. Just not good for icy roads.

It's a good read for those of us new to the game too. Makes you realize quickly how quick things can go bad.

Yep. It's amazing how laid back you can become flying the same routes week in and week out, and invariably ever once in a while something changes and you end up scaring yourself because you didn't notice.

Incidentally, when I was OAK based one of our pilots fell asleep with the autopilot on and overflew EKA by a fair distance before he woke up and turned around. That had to be a frightening moment.

Yep. It's amazing how laid back you can become flying the same routes week in and week out, and invariably ever once in a while something changes and you end up scaring yourself because you didn't notice.

Flying the same route absolutely breeds complacency. Even just being able to rotate thru a couple routes would be a great way to mix things up.

Incidentally, when I was OAK based one of our pilots fell asleep with the autopilot on and overflew EKA by a fair distance before he woke up and turned around. That had to be a frightening moment.

I remember that.

AMF actually wasn't bad. The freight gig I had before that was scary as hell.

Trust me...there's nothing more alarming than looking over at the GPS and seeing the distance to go count up.

Good ole 132. Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. One day on that run I hit turbulence so bad that it knocked my lap board out of my lap and I lost a glove that I never found. The turbulence was so bad that the plane ate my glove. I also remember that helmet being in the ACP's office.

Good ole 132. Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. One day on that run I hit turbulence so bad that it knocked my lap board out of my lap and I lost a glove that I never found. The turbulence was so bad that the plane ate my glove. I also remember that helmet being in the ACP's office.

I got it now KLB, BTW, are flying out of MIA this week? I'm down in MIA for Airbus training.

Just read the article. Very interesting. Never had the chance to do that run but I heard the rumors of it. Sounds much worse than what was told. @SA227driver did they make any changes after the accident?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Me and @NickH know a guy that lost a lot of things on night (in the rain) when turbulence caused the cockpit door on the pa31 to come open. I think he saved his headset.

Back