American To pay 15,000 signing bonus to new hires

Can you explain how that is? According to APC the most junior captain is a 2015 and upgrades are about a year?

That most junior captain was probably one of the "direct entry captains" hired in July/ August 2015 or thereabouts, folks who were hired from other 121 companies who already had enough SIC hours to upgrade. They stopped hiring DECs soon after that, and there are a lot if FOs from 2014 or earlier waiting for upgrade still. FOs from early 2015 with no prior 121 time are mostly in the 600-800 SIC hour range currently. There are many hired in 2014-2015 who had some prior 121 time who may have more than 1000 SIC now, but if they are junior to someone else they will wait their turn to upgrade.

Right now, the company is only upgrading 4 FOs per month. If that number does not increase, it will be a long time for a new hire to upgrade. Growth has stopped. We have had about 1180 total pilots for close to a year now, barely keeping up with attrition. No growth = will not be able to receive all the planes = no increase in captain slots = upgrades happen on a one-for-one basis pretty much. One captain retires/moves on, and one FO can upgrade to replace that captain.

The number of FOs here in front of and behind me is pretty accurate based on a physical count I did off our recent seniority list. I'm not getting more specific than that because a person could count FOs on the list and identify me from it.

APC is either behind the times or is updated by someone working for PSA who is not being honest.

They are already doing this. Envoy has partnered with ATP and currently will reimburse up to 11k of flight training with a signature on the dotted line.
Yep I know but it's a piddly amount. Also better to offer it as a "grant" because it wouldn't be taxed and can be directly used to defer the cost of flight training. Something like $15k/yr while doing your 4-year, but you wouldn't receive any bonuses when hired on.

1QWA.jpg

Hi,
Can someone tell me the conditions of the 20K bonus from PSA. Do I get it after passing everything ? (Indoc, oral, checkride , ioe) or I get upfront and if I fail, do I have to return it all ?

Thanks

That most junior captain was probably one of the "direct entry captains" hired in July/ August 2015 or thereabouts, folks who were hired from other 121 companies who already had enough SIC hours to upgrade. They stopped hiring DECs soon after that, and there are a lot if FOs from 2014 or earlier waiting for upgrade still. FOs from early 2015 with no prior 121 time are mostly in the 600-800 SIC hour range currently. There are many hired in 2014-2015 who had some prior 121 time who may have more than 1000 SIC now, but if they are junior to someone else they will wait their turn to upgrade.

Right now, the company is only upgrading 4 FOs per month. If that number does not increase, it will be a long time for a new hire to upgrade. Growth has stopped. We have had about 1180 total pilots for close to a year now, barely keeping up with attrition. No growth = will not be able to receive all the planes = no increase in captain slots = upgrades happen on a one-for-one basis pretty much. One captain retires/moves on, and one FO can upgrade to replace that captain.

The number of FOs here in front of and behind me is pretty accurate based on a physical count I did off our recent seniority list. I'm not getting more specific than that because a person could count FOs on the list and identify me from it.

APC is either behind the times or is updated by someone working for PSA who is not being honest.

I was hired to be one of those...so so glad I ended up passing.

QUOTE="bimmerphile, post: 2614712, member: 30788"]maybe they'll let you keep some, as a participation trophy of sorts.

:sarcasm:[/QUOTE]
Only some .. How about all.:D:sarcasm:

I've heard that the bonus payout is day one of ground... Doesn't make much sense in the case of someone failing out at any stage of the training process. Maybe you are required to pay it back if you can't pass training?? Or maybe that rumor was false, not sure but either way it is great to see airlines finally willing to raise pay. Hopefully by next year 58K won't be industry leading, but the industry standard since all three WO's increased their wages.

I've heard that the bonus payout is day one of ground... Doesn't make much sense in the case of someone failing out at any stage of the training process. Maybe you are required to pay it back if you can't pass training?? Or maybe that rumor was false, not sure but either way it is great to see airlines finally willing to raise pay. Hopefully by next year 58K won't be industry leading, but the industry standard since all three WO's increased their wages.

Agree. Things are better than before with exception on a regional in Phoenix.:)

There's a two year contract attached to it, prorated in the second year. So yes, if you fail out they'll be looking for their money. Easy answer to that conundrum is don't buy that new car until you pass IOE.

Or just study. That helps too.

dammit !! I was already looking for cars. lol. Thanks man. :bounce:

Back