Am I nuts?

Yes.

As a commuting pilot, let me teach you the most important french world you'll ever learn: pied-à-terre. With 35 years of earning power ahead of you, 25 at TOS, you can afford it.

Your sanity will thank me. And so will your financial planner if your kids decide to go to NYU or something.

At 28, what tied you to ORD so bad?

No offense. I got asked the same thing here on JC when I posted my commute dilemma. And then I realized, nothing really stuck me to EWR. Nearest immediate family was still a 6 hr drive or 1.5 hr flight. So I moved.

It took me a while to learn living in base is king. If you can’t see yourself moving to a Delta base it’s worth considering. However, hired two years ago at SJI is probably the best seniority progression you’ll ever have/see in your entire career.

Yep thats the tough part for me, the amount of movement I've had is huge. Add to that I'd be at the bottom of a similar amount at another airline if I left.

At 28, what tied you to ORD so bad?

No offense. I got asked the same thing here on JC when I posted my commute dilemma. And then I realized, nothing really stuck me to EWR. Nearest immediate family was still a 6 hr drive or 1.5 hr flight. So I moved.

No offense taken, mostly personal preference, but also family nearby. I live in the city and my wife and I both love it, no plans to have kids or move to the burbs. We've taken a serious look at moving to different bases, and just couldn't get excited about any of them, its either not big enough of a city for us, or its way more expensive, SEA is probably the only one we'd consider.

I hear the Voy has an ORD base.

Still waiting on a campfire invite from @Dacuj :(

Thanks for all the replies everyone, hope I didn't come across the wrong way either. I've had a lot of dumb luck with my timing so far, and never thought hiring would be crazy enough to even consider doing this.

I'm thinking I'll probably stay put but still apply just in case. Commuting to DTW and MSP is a lot more palatable and probably the most realistic solution that doesn't involve jumping ship.

Last edited:
Yep thats the tough part for me, the amount of movement I've had is huge. Add to that I'd be at the bottom of a similar amount at another airline if I left.

No offense taken, mostly personal preference, but also family nearby. I live in the city and my wife and I both love it, no plans to have kids or move to the burbs. We've taken a serious look at moving to different bases, and just couldn't get excited about any of them, its either not big enough of a city for us, or its way more expensive, SEA is probably the only one we'd consider.

IMO, move and never look back. We are talking about 25% seniority gained in just two years. For some, it took multiple decades to get to that point.

If living in Chi-town is important to you and the lady then jump ship. 25% is a lot to give up but your QOL will change for the better so much. Just think about how much you hate life when sitting in seat 24B between two larger people on that commute with a groundstop to your destination.

With no kids dude, no offense, but you need to bail to a Delta base. Pronto.

Western DTW suburbs like Canton/Plymouth are basically great suburbs of Chicago. And you can friggin drive to see parents in Chicago. You’d be nuts to leave. Seriously. Get over ORD, go to a Delta base, and enjoy.

If you‘re going to do it, the sooner the better. Seniority is everything. Take it from a guy who did more than my share of job hopping, I have a lot of regrets. Most of them have to do with giving up seniority numbers that I should’ve kept. One or two however, have to do with staying at a place far too long. A pilots career is finite. Don’t waste time someplace that isn’t right for you.

If you‘re going to do it, the sooner the better. Seniority is everything. Take it from a guy who did more than my share of job hopping, I have a lot of regrets. Most of them have to do with giving up seniority numbers that I should’ve kept. One or two however, have to do with staying at a place far too long. A pilots career is finite. Don’t waste time someplace that isn’t right for you.

I think the last sentence is particularly poignant.

I left a place after 6 years (with fairly good seniority) because it wasn’t for me. I spent 6 years trying to convince myself it was— switching airplanes, bases, even an upgrade. At the end of the day, the pilot culture and perspective made me upset, disappointed, angry at times and often entirely underwhelmed. I got involved in an attempt to help point it in the right direction, but I suspect it never will. 32 more years to go, and it wasn’t worth it for me. I also commuted the entire time.

I gave it all up and started over at a big airline in Denver with a globe on the tail. I’m relearning the 737 (again), learning what reserve is (again). But at the end of the day, I know at some point l’ll live in a base and be able to drive to work. I’ll fly more in the daytime in one month here than I would have in a year at the last place. And the culture around here is much, much more my vibe and that makes me feel good.

Can’t speak to airline flying specifically, but:

(Family + QOL) > $$$
Leaving behind multiple thousands of seniority #’s to be the bottom again after a hiring wave of 5000+ new people above you definitely goes into that (Family + QOL) box as you are taking on an insane risk for a drive to work to be home what’s probably a few extra hours a month.

That would be my only consideration in this and why a lot of people get the “golden handcuffs”. But some people think this type of hiring will never end and the demand will only go one way - up. So they leave behind 30% seniority at a legacy to sit at the bottom again. That alone to me is absolutely crazy. A widebody pilot is commuting a handful of hours a month, tops. With 17-18 days off every month minimum. My opinion - not worth it.

Leaving behind multiple thousands of seniority #’s to be the bottom again after a hiring wave of 5000+ new people above you definitely goes into that (Family + QOL) box as you are taking on an insane risk for a drive to work to be home what’s probably a few extra hours a month.

That would be my only consideration in this and why a lot of people get the “golden handcuffs”. But some people think this type of hiring will never end and the demand will only go one way - up. So they leave behind 30% seniority at a legacy to sit at the bottom again. That alone to me is absolutely crazy. A widebody pilot is commuting a handful of hours a month, tops. With 17-18 days off every month minimum. My opinion - not worth it.

@tcco94 is right. Seriously, Delta has a DTW base. Just move there and tell your family you live in the eastern suburbs for Chicago. The far east suburbs.

No lies told.

Thinking of switching majors after 2 years at SJI, am I nuts?

I've had a good time at SJI, but live in a UAL base (ORD). After 2 years the commute has lost its luster, and now that I've "made it" I've realized at the end of the day this is just a job, and being close to home and making my life less complicated is probably more important than a seniority number. In a perfect world I would've made the switch already, I'll turn 30 by the time I'd be hired, so I have time to make it back and just consider the two years a sunk cost.

I've been extremely fortunate with my timing, even though its only been two years at SJI, I'm already sitting at 75% in the company. With that, I don't worry about furloughs. For the last few years I feel like we've been on thin ice waiting for the next downturn. I have no interest in moving in base at SJI, long term career goals is WB flying, which I also just finally reached at my current shop. Am I nuts for thinking of leaving?

Hate to make another "what should I do" thread, hoping to get insight from those that have made the switch, and not so much a DAL vs UAL thread.

AS hosed me with the old switcharoo from the Airbus to the 737. I owned a house in the SF Bay Area. Gave notice at SkyWest after calling AS HR and the next day they called me and said your Airbus class is cancelled. After that I got a call from the AS system chief assuring me that I would be back in SFO by October of 2018 and I should take the first class I could. None of that happened and basically everyone was lying to me. So I just sold my house and moved to Seattle. It was super traumatic, unnecessary and completely weak of my employer to do that to me. I got on second year pay, sold my house and moved. I bought a new house 40 minutes from the airport. Best move I ever made. I just didn't get the honeymoon that other pilots did which again wasn't bad. I just learned about wolves in sheep's clothing early on.

Just move to a SJI base. Be a sniper. Wait for an opportunity with housing and execute your plan. Don't give up your seniority. SJI sounds like a great employer with a lot of bases. Find the one that works for you.

Back