ALPA President Campaign

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
Hoping to be a future ALPA member, this is interesting looking from the outside in. I'm sure others here have more background, but I like what I'm seeing with Heide Oberndorf's campaign with an apparent attempt at getting ALPA back to a more grassroots, member-driven association. I believe a labor union should be member-driven to be strong & unified. Sounds like she is shaking things up a bit, thoughts?

http://www.oberndorfforpresident.org/

What is a allure to Captain Oberndorf over the other publicized candidates?

I agree with you that ALPA, along with other unions, should be member driven. ALPA is member driven so I don't know why that comes as a surprise.

Grassroot campaigns have a time and place. While I will admit that ALPA has some issues, starting all over from scratch will do more harm than good. Several of Captain Onerndorf's letters were a bit far reaching and does a great job of rallying the troops. The problem that I see is that it won't gather much steam and will die a fast death.

Captain Oberndorf has some great solid points but the delivery leaves something to be desired. She made some comments referencing the NMB. While I am not happy about jumping through hoop after hoop in order to get a contract; fighting the NMB is not the answer. Believe it or not they an be a useful tool if used correctly. Our brothers and sisters from Spirit did just that less than 5 years ago. Same can be said for our brothers and sisters at TSA. Angering those that hold the control is usually not something that benefits you long term.

Those are my personal thoughts. If you want more feel free to PM.

Her emails convince me that she's off her rocker.

Yeah. Regrettably (and I may make step on a few toes here) she appeals to a certain base the same way the Tea Party crazies do.

Pretty sure whoever is president of ALPA summarily doesn't matter and has little to no effect on my life as a line pilot at a regional airline.

You are actually pretty wrong with this, as has been apparent with the current Fearless Leader.

The regionals have gone to hell, which probably would have happened anyway. But at least some attention might have been paid if somebody else was running the show.

What is a allure to Captain Oberndorf over the other publicized candidates?

I agree with you that ALPA, along with other unions, should be member driven. ALPA is member driven so I don't know why that comes as a surprise.

Grassroot campaigns have a time and place. While I will admit that ALPA has some issues, starting all over from scratch will do more harm than good. Several of Captain Onerndorf's letters were a bit far reaching and does a great job of rallying the troops. The problem that I see is that it won't gather much steam and will die a fast death.

Captain Oberndorf has some great solid points but the delivery leaves something to be desired. She made some comments referencing the NMB. While I am not happy about jumping through hoop after hoop in order to get a contract; fighting the NMB is not the answer. Believe it or not they an be a useful tool if used correctly. Our brothers and sisters from Spirit did just that less than 5 years ago. Same can be said for our brothers and sisters at TSA. Angering those that hold the control is usually not something that benefits you long term.

Those are my personal thoughts. If you want more feel free to PM.

She is a FO. :)

More member-driven is a great tagline and if she could pull it off, awesome.

However, some of the rambling missives come off as more apropos for a student council election rather than the leader of the largest pilot union in the world. I'd like world peace, a strong economy, an end to oligarchical rule of our government and an end to hunger but... at the end of the day.... how?

Not saying that I have any better feelings about any of the other candidates, but I also haven't heard much about them.

Well, I can always appreciate someone willing to question the status quo and I haven't taken the time to read the other candidates info since I won't be voting. Just wanted some opinion on it and I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Her communication style doesn't strike me as overly professional or well thought out, but perhaps her style & approach will get others thinking critically or from another angle.

I lost any interest after the way they handled "The Hacker Conspiracy".

I really don't think the FBI really gives a poop about someone not managing their DNS properly on Squarespace, but it feels like the "Gulf of Tonkin Incident"

DNS issues notwithstanding, that is the fugliest Squarespace site I've ever seen :)

More member-driven is a great tagline and if she could pull it off, awesome.

However, some of the rambling missives come off as more apropos for a student council election rather than the leader of the largest pilot union in the world. I'd like world peace, a strong economy, an end to oligarchical rule of our government and an end to hunger but... at the end of the day.... how?

Not saying that I have any better feelings about any of the other candidates, but I also haven't heard much about them.

The reps in DTW for you are quite approachable. I'd even say that they listen and take note to points that are given to them. From the correspondence I have read from that council it appears they have their ish together. It would be great to see ever council led like they lead theirs.

Well, I can always appreciate someone willing to question the status quo and I haven't taken the time to read the other candidates info since I won't be voting. Just wanted some opinion on it and I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Her communication style doesn't strike me as overly professional or well thought out, but perhaps her style & approach will get others thinking critically or from another angle.
With the three other candidates that I know are running they all bring something unique to the table. Just like anything of this size it can't and won't change over night. Like I said, I think you and I agree on this, she brings up valid points to some issues. Her tact though is what is not going to give her the support.

The reps in DTW for you are quite approachable. I'd even say that they listen and take note to points that are given to them. From the correspondence I have read from that council it appears they have their ish together. It would be great to see ever council led like they lead theirs.

DTW has amazing representation and we're behind them.

They could probably crack open a crate of AR-15s and tell the council, "The helicopters are waiting, hop on, we'll meet at the Central American rendezvous point and await further instructions" and they would have 99% participation.

Definitely gotta be approachable as a rep, heck Heide's ideals made me look inward this morning on how I'm doing as a rep. I think there's room for improvement so her efforts aren't for naught even for me.

Didn't they give her the axe for something? I thought I read that but it was buried too deep in someone on the alternate DALPA forum's "PostOTron 2000".

Hmmm...

Dear ALPA Members:
I’m writing to inform you that as a result of my last letter to you regarding the CAL/UAL
Merger, I have been relieved of my duties as UAL MEC Legislative Chairman and all
corresponding legislative work. I am extremely saddened and disheartened by this recent event.
ALPA talks about being a “bottom up organization” but actions like this are nothing more than
“top down” intimidation tactics that have been used to dissuade anyone from offering the much
needed transparency and accountability our Association needs in order to remain relevant in the
21st century.
You need to know two things regarding this event:
1. This move has strengthened my resolve to engage all ALPA Members in my campaign
for ALPA President, because that’s what a “bottom up organization” is all about.
2. Everything I wrote to you in my previous letter is truthful and factual. I was there. I
lived it, and saw it with my own eyes. You deserve nothing less than the truth.
I have been accused of “straying afield from an issues-based debate.” Not only do I stand ready
to debate any ALPA President Candidate on the issues, but my communications to you have
been nothing but “issues-based.” For a “bottom up organization,” I ask you - why is my
campaign the first in the history of ALPA to include the rank & file membership? I am the only
candidate to offer a platform and bring important issues to be debated during this campaign. I
expect that by October you will have heard just about nothing from any of the other candidates
that are seeking this position.
I believe the most important asset to our Association is YOU, the rank & file member. Therefore
I’m presenting my campaign to you in order for you to contact your elected ALPA
Representative and tell them that you support Heide Oberndorf for ALPA President. Your Reps
work hard to represent you but won’t know what you’re thinking unless you tell them. Is this
different than the back room deals of all past ALPA presidential elections? ABSOLUTELY!
ALPA has asked me on three occasions to “pull down my website,” “stop my campaign,” and
“pull out of the race.” I will do none of the above and I think you should all be asking, “Why?”
What I WILL do is redouble my efforts to bring you the issues-based campaign and platform that
you deserve.
I’d like to thank the many BOD and rank & file members who have taken time to reach out to
me. I thank you for your support and encouragement and look forward to bringing about much
needed changes to our Association going forward.
Please visit my website for the most up to date information and to see how you can help.
http://www.oberndorfforpresident.org/#!help-us/c1se
Fraternally

Back