ALPA President Campaign

I'm not sure I would agree with your framing, nor do I think your framing matters. How the sli occurred doesn't so much matter as much as it's done.

I wasn't referencing the SLI but rather how the two cultures went together and who got what (beyond seniority).

CAL showed up trying to be friendly. UAL showed up ready to go to war.

At least that's how it appeared looking in from the outside.

I'm not sure I would agree with your framing, nor do I think your framing matters. How the sli occurred doesn't so much matter as much as it's done.
The fact that it's done is truly important, although there still is a bitter taste left in the mouths of quite a number of pilots.

I wasn't referencing the SLI but rather how the two cultures went together and who got what (beyond seniority).

CAL showed up trying to be friendly. UAL showed up ready to go to war.

At least that's how it appeared looking in from the outside.
Compare that with NW and DL, how did those groups approach the table? Serious question.

Compare that with NW and DL, how did those groups approach the table? Serious question.

Actually kind of similarly, just with fewer squabbles. As much as the DAL/NWA merger has been held up to be the current gold standard, many, many more NW guys than DL guys feel like they got screwed. DALPA came in swinging to get the absolute best deal they could for their pilots. Northwest tried to be friendly.

Actually kind of similarly, just with fewer squabbles. As much as the DAL/NWA merger has been held up to be the current gold standard, many, many more NW guys than DL guys feel like they got screwed. DALPA came in swinging to get the absolute best deal they could for their pilots. Northwest tried to be friendly.

Well, that's one perspective! :)

Well, that's one perspective! :)

That's pretty much the universal view outside of the sandbox.

In the end I think, with the exception of a few notable groups (on both sides) everybody ended up with about in the same position as they had before the merger but as far as culture and what not, many of the Northwest guys feel they got trampled.

I was riding a LOT of Delta and Northwest jumpseats (Airways dumped the flight I needed) during and right after the merger. The difference in view point was very striking.

I was riding a LOT of Delta and Northwest jumpseats (Airways dumped the flight I needed) during and right after the merger. The difference in view point was very striking.

Speaking of striking points of view, I made the mistake of asking a 'West' jumpseater the other week how things are going at AA/US. Glad he had a real seat.

Speaking of striking points of view, I made the mistake of asking a 'West' jumpseater the other week how things are going at AA/US. Glad he had a real seat.
The America West pilots have been dragged through the muck and mire for... what's it... 10 years now? And now they've inherited this merger.

The America West pilots have been dragged through the muck and mire for... what's it... 10 years now? And now they've inherited this merger.

It's pretty sad. I have a friend who was hired roughly when I was hired at SJI and needs to get out, wants to get out, but he's 50 and the idea of starting over isn't something he wants to deal with. Naturally, living in PHX and being from the west coast, I have a number of "Westie" buds.

It's not going to be pretty.

It's pretty sad. I have a friend who was hired roughly when I was hired at SJI and needs to get out, wants to get out, but he's 50 and the idea of starting over isn't something he wants to deal with. Naturally, living in PHX and being from the west coast, I have a number of "Westie" buds.

It's not going to be pretty.

You were on with Skyway just after, or during, their Mesa ownership?

Back