Allegiant Pilot Attrition

1. Are they still doing the thing where you have no base and are just TDY'd throughout the system?

2. Are there any travel benefits (ID90s, etc?) on non-Allegiant carriers for family?

Has roughly the entire bottom half of the seniority list been hired since May? I can't imagine they're hiring people without the time to upgrade.

There's been about 70 or so out of 500 hired since May.

I talked to line pilot (FO) recently he said the reason upgrade went so junior is because the reserve rules here are so abysmal. He would rather be a line holder making 78/hr as an FO than a CA making 137/hr on RSV. But, (he was coincidently with his wife) and they both said being home every night had been an incredible improvement for they're relationship.

Take it for what it's worth.

1. Are they still doing the thing where you have no base and are just TDY'd throughout the system?

2. Are there any travel benefits (ID90s, etc?) on non-Allegiant carriers for family?

1. Yes, it's called homebasing. It's brand new so the rules aren't fully clear.

2. I don't know... but I can find out.

There is the new home base but as HVY mentioned there are still a lot of unknowns. During the summer we have seasonal bases in LAX and MYR which are staffed monthly via TDY. LAX normally goes semi senior but I am not sure about MYR. If TDYs are required there is a bid prior to the general monthly bid. If they don't get the numbers they need voluntarily then they involuntarily TDY based on seniority. Home basing is suppose to get rid of TDY.

As for the travel benefits, we have an ok list of interline agreements. Again, not as good as a legacy carrier. There are several small airlines I have never heard of but several big European carriers in addition to the majority of US carriers minus DAL and AA.

Is this good or bad?

After reading the article....

I'd say he's going to cash out. The big question is did he get poached, or get out while the getting is good. Obviously not setting up a buyout.

There are other details which I won't comment on that lead me to believe that we are not being set up for failure or for divestiture. I have been wrong in the past but I'm taking an educated bet that AAY will be just fine for years to come.

Go back and read post #39.

TP

Allegiant is making a tremendous amount of money. We have a profit margin pushing 20% (highest in the industry AFAIK) and something like 700 mil in the bank. The stock price has shot from $18 to $120 and ALOT of people have made money off this company... I have trouble seeing us parted out like Eastern because we're a such a cash cow for so many people. At least in the short term anyway.

However, this is a surprise to me also. I have no idea who will take his place. Again short term... long term it's hard to say. Management is definitely pissed we unionized, they're playing the "it's my pail and I'm not sharing!" sandbox game with us right now. Time will tell.

However, this is a surprise to me also. I have no idea who will take his place... Perhaps I should put my app in!

Last edited:
Are they running any classes?

To me, it looks like the president wasnt ready to answer where his plan B was when the legacies began hiring and pulled his chute. It says it was "effective immediately" Thats not a good thing.

Last edited:
Are they running any classes?

To me, it looks like the president wasnt ready to answer where his plan B was when the legacies began hiring and pulled his chute. It says it was "effective immediately" Thats not a good thing.
Running classes with no end in sight.

I don't see them parting out the airline, but I do see (when the strike happens) something like well we will shut down Allegiant Travel Co and open "Sunrise airlines". Knowing MG and AL they have something planned and it's probably not in the workers best interest. BTW it's not that they were caught "unawares" they needed more pilots they were told they did, they just didnt listen. They Said"No way will that happen here" about hiring more pilots bc of irregular ops and the effect of it in conjunction with 117.

Allegiant is making a tremendous amount of money. We have a profit margin pushing 20% (highest in the industry AFAIK) and something like 700 mil in the bank. The stock price has shot from $18 to $120 and ALOT of people have made money off this company... I have trouble seeing us parted out like Eastern because we're a such a cash cow for so many people. At least in the short term anyway.

However, this is a surprise to me also. I have no idea who will take his place. Again short term... long term it's hard to say. Management is definitely pissed we unionized, they're playing the "it's my pail and I'm not sharing!" sandbox game with us right now. Time will tell.

However, this is a surprise to me also. I have no idea who will take his place... Perhaps I should put my app in!
You guys make a lot of money due to your cost structure. Voting in ALPA and (assuming) a raise is coming narrows your pricing advantage.

Personally, you deserve it, the pilots and other employees have made Allegiant what it is today. Time for you to cash in and gets some spoils.

Any business that competes on price alone are doomed to fail as there is always someone able to do it cheaper.

Last edited:
You guys make a lot of money due to your cost structure. Voting in ALPA and (assuming) a raise is coming narrows your pricing advantage.

Personally, you deserve it, the pilots and other employees have made Allegiant what it is today. Time for you to cash in and gets some spoils.

Any business that competes on price alone are doomed to fail as there is always someone able to do it cheaper.

Thanks, I (we) appreciate it, we actually voted in the IBT two years ago (cue the boo hiss!).But yes, things are moving forward and progress has been made.

That said, were technically a travel company, not just an airline. Our website is designed to not only charge for seats and bags, but sell entire vacations, hotel, rental car, even shows such as blue man group. This makes up an even greater portion of our revenue than bag fees. supposedly most of our seats are sold at an avg loss of a few dollars per ticket. Love it or hate it this gives us more staying power IMO. The concept is that you buy your entire vacation on the ALGT site.

This allows us to be profitable in markets other airlines aren't regardless of labor costs.

The big market to watch on this is CVG. ALGT and F9 are really teeing up and normally our management avoids competition like the plague, this time were going head to head on at least 4 routes AFAIK. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Back