Allegiant Pilot Attrition

While I don't doubt that this is true, and I have zero inside knowledge on what actually goes on at the place, this article does seem to be a little skewed to one side.....

My neighbor is an Allegiant FO I talk to on occasion and there is a lot of truth to this. In my attempts to help a fellow JCer out not long ago, He told me he really had no clue whats going on there, but did confirm folks are jumping ship at an alarming rate to Delta, UA, AA and others and it has been a bit of a disruption.

I would love to help them solve their attrition problem if they'd answer my emails about attending NetworkJC down the street from them.

AMMARITE?

You would think. Allegiant seems to be a stopping station between the world of regional and legacy and there wasnt a plan in place when the legacies started hiring. The impression I got was the suits were running around like headless chickens. I think NJC would be a fantastic opportunity for them.

Improve pay and benefits.
Don't only do day lines out of your so called domicile cities.
Provide commuting options for crews.

These middle tier operations will have to become creative if they are to stop the flow of their talent elsewhere.

By the looks of it, they had no plan B but still advertise new routes weekly.

I know they're moving quickly from interview to hire right now. A guy I flew with last month was telling me about a friend who was trying to get him an interview there. I show up for my next trip and he was in the crew room, looking at his "hired" email.

I would love to help them solve their attrition problem if they'd answer my emails about attending NetworkJC down the street from them.

AMMARITE?
I have been told there is no shortage of applicants... I tried to impress upon them the idea of attending NJC but... well... you know the rest Derg.

You would think. Allegiant seems to be a stopping station between the world of regional and legacy and there wasnt a plan in place when the legacies started hiring. The impression I got was the suits were running around like headless chickens. I think NJC would be a fantastic opportunity for them.
It is... I don't think its as bad as headless chickens... but it could be better.

Improve pay and benefits.
Don't only do day lines out of your so called domicile cities.
Provide commuting options for crews.

These middle tier operations will have to become creative if they are to stop the flow of their talent elsewhere.
Uh.... ok. Pay and benefit improvement.... sure. Commutable line improvements.... possibly. Don't do day trips? That would drive more people away than the current pay rates. AAY isn't an airline (and they reiterate that incessantly) and the company does things that could be interpreted as eccentric but makes money hand over fist. The reality of the matter is this company isn't set up to perform 4 day trips (ie AAY doesn't do hub/spoke and is a vacation travel company).
The real issue is that the G4 pilot group doesn't have a contract with which to hold the company accountable.

Are they cancelling flights due to staffing issues yet?

Totally different but related, they fly some weird schedules for a leisure schedule. If I want to drop down to Florida for a week, I would need Saturday to Saturday (or Sunday) schedules, you don't generally rent a place for a week starting on a Tuesday.

Last edited:
Don't worry, though. There will soon be a line of metro pilots from AMF lined up and waiting to take any open spots. There are some people at AMF that are really excited about being able to skip a regional and move straight to a "major" airline.

Don't worry, though. There will soon be a line of metro pilots from AMF lined up and waiting to take any open spots. There are some people at AMF that are really excited about being able to skip a regional and move straight to a "major" airline.
LMAO! Ya, a major with a regional like contr.. er wait... no contract.

Are they cancelling flights due to staffing issues yet?

Totally different but related, they fly some weird schedules for a leisure schedule. If I want to drop down to Florida for a week, I would need Saturday to Saturday (or Sunday) schedules, you don't generally rent a place for a week starting on a Tuesday.

AAY doesn't really fly on Tuesdays or Saturdays.... and as far as I can tell as of this moment flights are not being cancelled. Hope that helps.

Uh.... ok. Pay and benefit improvement.... sure. Commutable line improvements.... possibly. Don't do day trips? That would drive more people away than the current pay rates. AAY isn't an airline (and they reiterate that incessantly) and the company does things that could be interpreted as eccentric but makes money hand over fist. The reality of the matter is this company isn't set up to perform 4 day trips (ie AAY doesn't do hub/spoke and is a vacation travel company).

The real issue is that the G4 pilot group doesn't have a contract with which to hold the company accountable.

Sure! Perhaps act like a normal airline and you won't have to worry about talent jumping ship, regardless of how many consecutive quarters they've made a profit. At some point, if they end up treating their talent bad enough, the talent will go somewhere else even if in years prior that same talent just thought it was hot cookies to only have to do day lines. And yeah, make it gateway basing and they also might be able to manage to staff their airline. As I said earlier, it would appear this problem will need to be solved by creative thinking when it comes to staffing middle-tier airlines. The top tier companies offer substantially more when it comes to QOL/Pay/Benefits than the mid-tier operations.

But hey, with 45 quarters of consecutive profits - I understand why it is so difficult for AAY to compensate talent appropriately, no - really, I do.

I'm sure AAY will figure it out.

Back