Alaskan LOA offer

It’s funny what you can do to do get guys riled up about. Here at redneck air we all lampoon the company these days but a while back I figured out a way to drive the Dallas guys batty. While briefing the SID I pronounced LNDRE “lander” like the old Denver arrival.

“Boy don’t you know that’s Tom Landry! What’s wrong with you?”

View attachment 75065

And ever since I have to mispronounce every cowboys name there, you know as a litmus test.
I always thought how much the Dallas suburbs reminded me of that show. Then I thought it was hilarious when I actually moved in across Tom Landry Elementary School

There’s definitely a PTSD where you expect everything to go wrong in the most spectacular way possible. Great for TEM, bad for anxiety.
When I finally got out of the regionals was right when COVID hit and they were like “we probably won’t need some of you soon”, so I think that “oh crap, I could be on my ass any minute!” feeling never went away.

When I finally got out of the regionals was right when COVID hit and they were like “we probably won’t need some of you soon”, so I think that “oh crap, I could be on my ass any minute!” feeling never went away.

It never does.

As far as the LOA thing goes they are just trying to be a bit more profitable for Q1 to make the shareholders happy. If my house flip had sold, I'd probably take the month off and get really good at snowboarding somewhere rad.

Considering the number of powder hounds, surfers and dudes that shred moto here I think they will get plenty of takers.

It never does.
This is so true, and I feel needs to be quoted just for emphasis.

Like, when I "made it" to the brass ring job that I had wanted for years... I got sick after 9 months on the job and couldn't fly anymore. Not saying that's common, but the insecurity of the career is just, so unbelievably high and difficult to parse as someone living through it. A buddy of mine called me up around 2009 or so while he was flying in the bush. "Dude, I just did a 747 captains IOE in the 207." Apparently this dude had worked at Hageland many years ago, then got on at Tradewinds. When he got furloughed he went back to one of the only jobs available...

It's a great job, but I don't think many people realize how nerve-wracking being a pilot is when you're not even in the freaking airplane.

This is so true, and I feel needs to be quoted just for emphasis.

Like, when I "made it" to the brass ring job that I had wanted for years... I got sick after 9 months on the job and couldn't fly anymore. Not saying that's common, but the insecurity of the career is just, so unbelievably high and difficult to parse as someone living through it. A buddy of mine called me up around 2009 or so while he was flying in the bush. "Dude, I just did a 747 captains IOE in the 207." Apparently this dude had worked at Hageland many years ago, then got on at Tradewinds. When he got furloughed he went back to one of the only jobs available...

It's a great job, but I don't think many people realize how nerve-wracking being a pilot is when you're not even in the freaking airplane.

Yep. Once you get to the stage of one’s career where you’re furlough proof, maintaining a medical becomes increasingly perilous. It never goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called us Alaskan Airways in the lobby of the 737 training center when I was going to Airbus Instructor recurrent (on purpose) and to see the long-time 737 guys utterly lose their collective minds as I was standing there honestly made me way happier than I could have ever imagined.

You do your thing but a personal observation, the only ones I see calling it that are pissed of ex-Virgin guys who still can’t over the merger, the SLI, and NY base closure.

Yeah, welcome to my world!

I turn on the news almost immediately in the morning to see if there's any live footage of anything smoking and then immediately turn it off entirely if there isn't anything.

9/11 changes you.

Yeah, welcome to my world!

I turn on the news almost immediately in the morning to see if there's any live footage of anything smoking and then immediately turn it off entirely if there isn't anything.

9/11 changes you.

Someone just tried to blow up the border crossing at Niagara Falls today.

So, there’s that.

Yep. Once you get to the stage of one’s career where you’re furlough proof, maintaining a medical becomes increasingly perilous. It never goes away.

When I was a young Lieutenant, one of the salty old head light Colonels told me that “at your stage, son, you worry about passing a checkride and breeze through a yearly medical. At my stage, I breeze through a checkride and worry about passing a yearly medical.”

Back