Alaska Hawaiian Merger Serious Version

commuting has been too expensive and first year pay too close to Lear captain pay to make a 40 hour month feasible. I guess if I can only count on 3-4 more months as a lineholder I’ll try to snag one on year 2 pay.

As per your post I was replying to, if there is literally anywhere else hiring it will be a bloodbath for retention at the bottom of the list. Tons of folks hired from AK and the PNW under the implication that SEA/ANC would be achievable in a reasonable amount of time, are going to be in •it mode in short order when staring down the barrel of 2+ years of 18 days of reserve a month in CA. Just my impression.

I’m wondering when that attrition faucet turns back on as well. Maybe not as fast as before, but a solid trickle given our current environment.

There’s no way I’d feel comfortable in todays environment to be at the bottom of a 16k list by jumping ship.

Unless that ship is the SS Pirit, but even then, I’d be wary.

But if you’re at the bottom of a 3,500 list in an airline that is merging with another, with zero visibility of what lies ahead. it’s not much better. Right?

Junior is junior no matter the list size, it’s all relative when they start the furlough percentages. If a 15k+ list retires 800 a year and hires 1000 a year. One is on track for a better climb in seniority than the place that retires 30 and hires zero

As am I. I’m trying (not well, apparently) to solve that.
I’m not blaming you. Babysitting adults isn’t what mods should be for. I’ve been watching this train wreck slowly unfold. I’ve tried my best to stay on the sidelines of the back and forth, but I think we will continue to loose participants in the forum if we keep going down this road.

commuting has been too expensive and first year pay too close to Lear captain pay to make a 40 hour month feasible. I guess if I can only count on 3-4 more months as a lineholder I’ll try to snag one on year 2 pay.

As per your post I was replying to, if there is literally anywhere else hiring it will be a bloodbath for retention at the bottom of the list. Tons of folks hired from AK and the PNW under the implication that SEA/ANC would be achievable in a reasonable amount of time, are going to be in •it mode in short order when staring down the barrel of 2+ years of 18 days of reserve a month in CA. Just my impression.
I hear that. The only reason I put up with commuting is because I have family in base, which makes extra time there worth it (to me).

Fortunately year 2 pay is a big improvement. We will have to wait until Monday to see how bad it really is, I still think running a quick new hire class would solve their problems. Also, UAL is hiring, AA is supposed to spool up hiring in January, I believe DAL is still hiring too. So maybe attrition makes a comeback.

I agree that some may leave if it takes too long to hold ANC, unfortunately there aren’t a ton of options for AK residents. It could all change quickly, but for anyone not currently on the seniority list ANC is a long, long way off.

I’m wondering when that attrition faucet turns back on as well. Maybe not as fast as before, but a solid trickle given our current environment.
There's always gonna be the ones that had Alaska as their 2nd+ choice. They'll bail the first chance they get but we were never keeping them either way. Even some of those will stay if it takes a year or 2 more to get an offer from somewhere else. Those that had Alaska as their #1 (yes we're out there) likely aren't going anywhere. Sure there's gonna be a few on both ends of the spectrum that stay or go but I don't think we get anywhere close to where we were the middle of last year.

I’m not blaming you. Babysitting adults isn’t what mods should be for. I’ve been watching this train wreck slowly unfold. I’ve tried my best to stay on the sidelines of the back and forth, but I think we will continue to loose participants in the forum if we keep going down this road.

I hear that. The only reason I put up with commuting is because I have family in base, which makes extra time there worth it (to me).

Fortunately year 2 pay is a big improvement. We will have to wait until Monday to see how bad it really is, I still think running a quick new hire class would solve their problems. Also, UAL is hiring, AA is supposed to spool up hiring in January, I believe DAL is still hiring too. So maybe attrition makes a comeback.

I agree that some may leave if it takes too long to hold ANC, unfortunately there aren’t a ton of options for AK residents. It could all change quickly, but for anyone not currently on the seniority list ANC is a long, long way off.

That’s where AS financial conservatism comes into play, if it made financial sense to hire a last push to throw in SFO. They would have done it this Spring

Given the long pause in hiring, no vacancy bids and overstaffed bases elsewhere. They’re just doing what makes financial sense. Sadly, it will cause pain to some. Hopefully shortly lived over the span of a career. Unless.. you know… Boeing

Being unfamiliar with your CBA, I assume that the Company has to offer vacancies to pilots currently on the list first, no?
Yes, but unfilled vacancies go to classes at the company's discretion (say we hold 2 classes in December and the first class all gets sent to SFO while the 2nd class gets their choice of bases because the vacancy bid happened before either class started). Don't get me started on new hires junior to me getting PDX before I had a chance to bid for it. Phone calls made, eyes rolled.

That’s where AS financial conservatism comes into play, if it made financial sense to hire a last push to throw in SFO. They would have done it this Spring

Given the long pause in hiring, no vacancy bids and overstaffed bases elsewhere. They’re just doing what makes financial sense. Sadly, it will cause pain to some. Hopefully shortly lived over the span of a career. Unless.. you know… Boeing
Financial sense in the moment maybe, but maybe not in the long run.
We have had two bids now where SFO spots go unfilled. Wouldn’t that count?
I believe they removed all of the vacancies.
Being unfamiliar with your CBA, I assume that the Company has to offer vacancies to pilots currently on the list first, no?
I honestly can’t remember off the top of my head. That sounds like it could be true though.

We have had two bids now where SFO spots go unfilled. Wouldn’t that count?
(I would assume so)
Yes, but unfilled vacancies go to classes at the company's discretion (say we hold 2 classes in December and the first class all gets sent to SFO while the 2nd class gets their choice of bases because the vacancy bid happened before either class started). Don't get me started on new hires junior to me getting PDX before I had a chance to bid for it. Phone calls made, eyes rolled.
and exasperated noise ensued. Got it.

Yes, assuming those spots aren't filled or erased with the next vacancy bid.

Oh is that the reduced vacancy bid that happens after the initial bids? I slightly remember seeing that last time. But I’m also not the brightest cookie in the toolbox

SFO has been a fantastic first 121 base for me. The commute is a time suck but the schedule flexibility of PBS as even a bottom 10 lineholder has helped ameliorate a lot of that. I feel like I’d be whining to complain about the possibility of being on reserve for year 2, considering what a lot of folks senior to me did, but also if I’d known *gestures broadly* i probably would have been happy making way less money sleeping at home on call and playing DnD at the base. Idk. We’ll see how it plays out. The SE module in CQ this quarter made me almost physically homesick for AK flying.
Has the 135 job market dried up that badly? I know GF is going through a kind of meltdown, but people are gonna keep getting sick and I imagine my old shop will soak up a lot of that flying with attendant hiring. I mean even the 21-23 heyday the 7/7 jobs didn’t pay out close to a 121 pilot with some seniority but a lot of the type of person who jumped over in the last hiring spree seem like they’d value their time at home pretty highly and like hanging out in SFO a lot less than I do. Like I said, IDK. I should stop freaking out and just sleep on it for a while I guess.

Oh is that the reduced vacancy bid that happens after the initial bids? I slightly remember seeing that last time. But I’m also not the brightest cookie in the toolbox
Yeah but they typically don't do that when we're actively hiring in my limited experience. Again, I think they've always been wildly optimistic about how large we can grow SFO.

SFO has been a fantastic first 121 base for me. The commute is a time suck but the schedule flexibility of PBS as even a bottom 10 lineholder has helped ameliorate a lot of that. I feel like I’d be whining to complain about the possibility of being on reserve for year 2, considering what a lot of folks senior to me did, but also if I’d known *gestures broadly* i probably would have been happy making way less money sleeping at home on call and playing DnD at the base. Idk. We’ll see how it plays out. The SE module in CQ this quarter made me almost physically homesick for AK flying.

Has the 135 job market dried up that badly? I know GF is going through a kind of meltdown, but people are gonna keep getting sick and I imagine my old shop will soak up a lot of that flying with attendant hiring. I mean even the 21-23 heyday the 7/7 jobs didn’t pay out close to a 121 pilot with some seniority but a lot of the type of person who jumped over in the last hiring spree seem like they’d value their time at home pretty highly and like hanging out in SFO a lot less than I do. Like I said, IDK. I should stop freaking out and just sleep on it for a while I guess.
Remind me where you're commuting from?

Remind me where you're commuting from?
JNU. Buddy of mine from there has 5 years in and was able to bid 2 days with overnights at home all summer. I wasn’t expecting that out of the gate but hoped for a chance to sit the occasional LC shift at home and/or pick up OT trips with layovers at home but, stuff happened

Yeah but they typically don't do that when we're actively hiring in my limited experience. Again, I think they've always been wildly optimistic about how large we can grow SFO.

My idea, not selfish in any way what so ever is to hack SFO. Make SAN a base and instead of bases DH’g down to SAN for flying, we all DH to SFO for flying.

But in that same world, I’d be coming home to Salma Hayak in her prime, waiting for me in our Encinitas beach house. One can dream ya know

SFO has been a fantastic first 121 base for me.
I don't know what it is like at the Eskimo, but I greatly enjoyed being based there (and living there, but I can separate that too) at SKW.

From the anecdotal survey of the wailing I've read on Facebook, it just doesn't sound very good right now in 135, but I can't ever say that I paid much attention to begin with as it just isn't something that really interested me.

My idea, not selfish in any way what so ever is to hack SFO. Make SAN a base and instead of bases DH’g down to SAN for flying, we all DH to SFO for flying.

But in that same world, I’d be coming home to Salma Hayak in her prime, waiting for me in our Encinitas beach house. One can dream ya know
Seattle ER is coming back to Southernjets, you heard it here first! :)

Back