Alaska BNA-SEA takeoff abort

More likely to pass mergers. And at this point, mergers are needed among JetBlue, Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant.

Are they though? Do we need those airlines to merge? Does it matter if they merge or disappear? Not trying to be cold but do we really need them, and do we need them to merge?

We didn't NEED AS and HA to merge necessarily. Growth for AS and stepping in to grab an airline in need of some financial help isn't really a need for the industry. Public need? Maybe at best...

We didn't NEED AS and HA to merge necessarily. Growth for AS and stepping in to grab an airline in need of some financial help isn't really a need for the industry. Public need? Maybe at best...
Anyone who actually thinks JetBlue-Spirit was going to be good for the consumer was either in the JetBlue C-suite or Blue Juice-intoxicated. That would be why it was blocked, for the umpteenth time (not at you, necessarily). Frontier-Spirit would have been a formidable combination, even with the struggles now present in the ULCC segment.

I dunno, the fund overlords are gonna do their thing and the rest of us will sort it out, and so on. But I don't buy for a second that a less competitive industry is ipso facto a good thing.

(I get really uncomfortable when I'm the most capitalist one in the room.)

On my first day of indoc, the instructor threw up a slide that showed our position in the industry 20 years ago, followed by the next slide that shows our place now. He asked "what happened?" (as we moved from #17 or something, to 5-6 today). Since I had done my homework before I joined this industry, I blurted out "we survived". And that was the correct answer for 500. Who knows what this industry will look like in 10 years, but I doubt we will be arguing about at least one or two of these airlines anymore. My own included in that list of course.

Anyone who actually thinks JetBlue-Spirit was going to be good for the consumer was either in the JetBlue C-suite or Blue Juice-intoxicated. That would be why it was blocked, for the umpteenth time (not at you, necessarily). Frontier-Spirit would have been a formidable combination, even with the struggles now present in the ULCC segment.

I dunno, the fund overlords are gonna do their thing and the rest of us will sort it out, and so on. But I don't buy for a second that a less competitive industry is ipso facto a good thing.

Why would it not be good? Be specific.

As it stands, Spirit’s ULCC structure (what the DOJ said they were trying to save, an ULCC for the consumer) is dead.

Are they though? Do we need those airlines to merge? Does it matter if they merge or disappear? Not trying to be cold but do we really need them, and do we need them to merge?

Yes they need to merge. The government allowed 4 airlines to become monstrous entities that control 85% of the country. The rest of the 15% can’t be fought over by 6-7 different airlines, each controlling only slim pickings. Consolidation is key. Consumers will do just fine with 4 mega carriers and 4 national majors. That’s 8, plus smaller/boutique offerings like Breeze, Avelo.

Not a single merger that created the mega carriers we have today have been good for the consumer, but they were allowed to happen anyway.

The DOJ either needs to let mergers continue to happen, or they need to start breaking up the monopolies that exist today.

Instead, the DOJ has decided to pick winners and losers, which is anti-capitalist.

I, for one, would be happy to see Northwest back.

Back