Airports with "international" designation?

Holocene

I can understand LAX or BOS, but it's been my experience that there are quite a few smaller, non-towered, essentially isolated/little-known airports with this designation as well.

Why this designation?

Adler

Low-Level Individual
I was told an "international" airport has Customs at the airport.

And at an "airport of entry" customs will go there for you, but they are not based there.

I could be completely wrong.

BCTAv8r

Does it have to have commercial service to be considered "international"? FXE has customs but it is obviously not called "international" like FLL is.

derg

Deplatformer
Staff member
I can understand LAX or BOS, but it's been my experience that there are quite a few smaller, non-towered, essentially isolated/little-known airports with this designation as well.

Why this designation?
Probably marketing.

tlewis95

I drive planes
Clow International - 1C5 - Boilingbrook, IL

3300x75 feet of runway an a nice breakfast destination on field.

Im pretty sure that its not an AOE either...

Adler

Low-Level Individual
You'd think being one of the world's only intergalactic spaceports they'd need more then one runway.

PGT

If the airport has a customs office then it can be designated international.

da10pilot

Clow had customs, not sure if they still do tho
I don't think they do...didn't know they ever did but I remember reading that Mr Clow added "International" for the cultural diversity in the area. I don't believe that if an airport has International in its name that it necessarily means it is/has an AOE/customs.

PW127F

International is nothing more than a name... Infact in the AIM somewhere it warns you about this and that you need to check that the airport is infact suitable to use.

It's just a marketing thing!