Airplane in my future

In the realm of buying airplanes....is it really worth it?

As a new pilot, I have been tempted to consider purchase. But, for right now, I joined the civil air patrol and I can fly with them for about $35/hour (dry).

Plus, the local AFB has a flight club with planes so spotless, you could eat off the tires. They allow CAP members to fly their planes. Cost ranges from $80/hour (wet) for a warrior to $120/hour (wet) for a twin beechcraft baron.

At these rates, is it really worth owning your own?

PS: please, no comments on CAP, I have heard them all at this point and that's not the point of my question.

Pat, I've got a friend who just bought a Pacer/150. He really likes it and carries four in it regularly. They are good airplanes and good performers. I think he paid around $30,000. Really nice airplane.

The pacers I've seen are tri gear but I've seen some as tailwheels. Is there a kit or something to change it?

=Jason-

The pacers I've seen are tri gear but I've seen some as tailwheels. Is there a kit or something to change it?

=Jason-

I think the Pacer has the tailwheel. The Tri-Pacer has a nosewheel. I might be confused on it though. I also think some Tri-Pacers have been converted to tw.

In the realm of buying airplanes....is it really worth it?

As a new pilot, I have been tempted to consider purchase. But, for right now, I joined the civil air patrol and I can fly with them for about $35/hour (dry).

Plus, the local AFB has a flight club with planes so spotless, you could eat off the tires. They allow CAP members to fly their planes. Cost ranges from $80/hour (wet) for a warrior to $120/hour (wet) for a twin beechcraft baron.

At these rates, is it really worth owning your own?

How much is it worth to be able to take a plane anywhere you want? Canada, Mexico or beyond...no problem.

...at any time that you want? Go flying at 2 a.m. on a whim...you can do it.

...for as long as you want? Take a week long vacation with your plane...you bet.

...have a clean plane with all your stuff in it, just the way you left it? No messy renters hopping in and out.

...complete control over the maintenance? No worries about corners getting cut when the annual is due.

...the cool factor of taking friends up in *your* plane? Most owners would be lying if they said they weren't at all proud of their bird.

These are the types of reasons to own a plane.

I budget about $6k/year for my plane. Would I ever spend $6k/year renting planes if I didn't own mine? Probably not. I probably would save money by renting. But owning a plane isn't about saving money, it's about the freedom and pride associated with having *your* plane.

I think the Pacer has the tailwheel. The Tri-Pacer has a nosewheel. I might be confused on it though. I also think some Tri-Pacers have been converted to tw.

Most of the larger engined Pacers were the PA-22 Tri-Pacer, but there is a conversion kit to make it like the original PA-20 Pacer.

Back