AirNet update?

IDE like to point out that in the freight world, there is a few posts on the grunpys of lost runs. If this was an airline thread, it would have been pages of a slap fight.

IDE like to point out that in the freight world, there is a few posts on the grunpys of lost runs. If this was an airline thread, it would have been pages of a slap fight.

It sucks but at least you're not a drunk Russian living on your Antonov. Their "pay scales" would make your jaw drop.

Which is why I like this side of the airport more. ;) Except with freight, you do occasionally meet the guy that DIDN'T get his time and get out, has been doing it for WAY to long, and is quite angry and resentful.

Time will tell. If the majors are going to forget the freight guys for the most part in this next hiring wave you'll see many guys resent their time flying freight.

I'm almost positive they will. It'd be great if they didn't, and even better if we were looked at on an even playing field instead of having to date the CEOs daughter, but I'm here for the dirty turbo-prop LOLs. I've got 38 years of career time left :eek: to turn into a jet kitty. :)

I don't know one single pilot who's made it past the SJS-level and doesn't have an end goal of retiring early and tinkering around at home.
You are in the freight forum surrounded by piston and tprop guys. SJS does not exactly exist since we all could be at a regional right now. That said, a good career is not a bad thing to work toward.

Personally, I am enjoying my time in t-props doing what jets can never do.

Time will tell. If the majors are going to forget the freight guys for the most part in this next hiring wave ....

With the ATP rule about to go into æffect next year, I see no way they can avoid hiring freight guys. Who else besides freight pilots are going to meet minimums? CFI's? Maybe, but not enough of them.

You are in the freight forum surrounded by piston and tprop guys. SJS does not exactly exist since we all could be at a regional right now. That said, a good career is not a bad thing to work toward.

Personally, I am enjoying my time in t-props doing what jets can never do.

As you should. Keep on trucking!

A good career is a great thing to work toward. But the end goal? Beer me at 59 1/2 with my current wife, family, and a tractor somewhere = pure happiness. I don't really have a dog in the freight vs. regional fight, but I think 121 experience isn't necessarily the only pool the majors should dip from. Plenty of guys with worthwhile time in 91, 135, and elsewhere who should get a shot if they want it. Back at the AirNet I remember guys would go from there to Southwest and JetBlue. It still saddens me that the AirNet of current appears to be in an uncontrollable spin.

It still saddens me that the AirNet of current appears to be in an uncontrollable spin.

I predict a very horrifying, fiery crash within the next 5 years with a lot of good people losing their jobs as long as Bayside is at the helm. The Bayside folks will still have a job after putting everyone else on the street!

I predict a very horrifying, fiery crash within the next 5 years with a lot of good people losing their jobs as long as Bayside is at the helm. The Bayside folks will still have a job after putting everyone else on the street!
This would have been inevitable. Bank work was going to die no matter what owner of Airnet. Airnet doesn't exactly have many airframes that UPS and DHL like to use so they really got backed into a corner. Eventually the specialty market will completely dry up for them as well. Like the recent large contract they lost. Sure a metro and B1900 is slower than a Lear, but fuel economy and volume is hard to compete against.

I wish Airnet was still around and strong. I likely would be working there right now had that been the case.

I'd be interested in why they never bought 1900s and more caravans once the writing hit the wall.
It is almost like they decided to make an effort to wither on the vine.

Pretty much. They looked into getting 1900s but were too cheap to make the leap. Also they couldn't afford to compete with amflight. AMF would have always underbid them in feeder and Brown only knows the cheapest.

I still don't understand UPSs love fascination with the 1900. They cost a lot more then a metro to operate with very few upsides.

I still don't understand UPSs love fascination with the 1900. They cost a lot more then a metro to operate with very few upsides.
Meh how much more is it to operate?

Airnet looked at them because there are more 1900s to be had then anything similar. I know the Metro is your lovechild but there aren't a lot "good" ones out there.

They burn more fuel, cost a considerable amount more to acquire. IDK what your definition of good is but our company just bought a quality one a couple months ago. It has nothing to do with the metro being "my love child" it literally makes zero sense to operate. If a metro is blowing out on a route, so will a 1900.

Back