"Airline Internship" at ATP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what happens if someone busts their checkride in the 1900 and isnt able to even go onto GIA. Or is it just assumed that everyone will pass? <--- Dumb question really.

So do GIA captains have to get single pilot qualified? Haha.

I interviewed at American Eagle (for some reason I declined the job offer to work at Mesa?? I don't know either.) with a GIA captain (was never in the PFJ program) and he said yeah, basically that only 30-40% of people make it through upgrade because it is very hard. They train you to fly the airplane by yourself.

Of course, you can fly a 1900 single pilot. In the oldendays before 1900 sims instructors/check airman would get a single pilot type so they could provide instruction in the air.

Ehh, that's highly debatable and I'll guaran-darn-tee ya that the regional guys feel that national favors them and the major guys feel that national favors the regionals.

That's actually fairly good balance.

Have you personally seen otherwise?

I remember earlier in this decade in the ALPA newsletter an ongoing discussion about what to call guys that fly the smaller aircraft. The Airline Pilots Association is saying we can't just call these guys equals we need to call them something else to distinguish them from us real pilots. I'm thinking that has more to do with crappy wages at the regionals than a guy paying $25k for some turbine time.

Then there's the structure. The mainline pilots are all in one large group on the property. The "regional" pilots are divided into many small groups. Whipsawing the smaller groups against each other has been a longstanding tactic employed by both managment and mainline pilot groups to screw regional pilots. USAIR jets for jobs ring a bell?

I've been to meetings where it was made clear by mainline pilots what they think of regional pilots, and that is the real problem, not gulfstream.

I remember when the rjs first started to hit and mainline guys were denying jumpseats to the rj drivers. Everyone likes to think they're better than the next guy. I deserve what i got and you don't deserve yours. See alot of that here on this message board.

Personally I'd be more concerned about cabotage and the inevitable opening of the U.S. domestic market to foreign competition before I worried about a few kids paying gulfstream.

Has anyone on this board ever checked into what it costs to get a type rating in the B-1900? I am no fan of GSA by any stretch, but think logically about it.

It seems that the 25K goes to pay for the training. I dont have a problem with it. Even if it is overpriced it is still ball park. Having paid for a CJ type rating, I can see part of the cost.

What would bother me is the $8/ hour. That bothers me UNLESS it is more like an internship in other profession as part of education. I cant really see that as pay for job.

If it frees up money for financing, good for the students that can get it if they really want it.

You may not like it, but it has upsides for those starting out. This whole business of ATP going to the dark side and being ashamed of going there is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Has anyone on this board ever checked into what it costs to get a type rating in the B-1900? I am no fan of GSA by any stretch, but think logically about it.

It seems that the 25K goes to pay for the training. I dont have a problem with it. Even if it is overpriced it is still ball park. Having paid for a CJ type rating, I can see part of the cost.

What would bother me is the $8/ hour. That bothers me UNLESS it is more like an internship in other profession as part of education. I cant really see that as pay for job.

If it frees up money for financing, good for the students that can get it if they really want it.

You may not like it, but it has upsides for those starting out. This whole business of ATP going to the dark side and being ashamed of going there is kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Setting aside for a moment of the fact that you should not pay for your training and that you can get a 1900 PIC type for less than this at flight safety -- if what you propose was true then why after the 250 hours are complete are students being asked to pony up more money? What training is that paying for? :banghead:

Maybe you should look more closely my friend. The only type rating you get at GIA, is an SIC TYPE. Which is basically hogwash, because you don't even need an SIC rating unless you fly into Canada or Mexico. So you aren't getting a PIC type rating, because if that was the case, well than *maybe* I'd justify it.....eh....probably not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7U8LJyIBAU

3:45= LOL Toolbag.
5:41= Lord be with those who fly as pax with this person!
9:30= From Papa Johns to Airtran so fast! :(

Oh this makes me sick to my stomach and somewhat embarrased to be a part of this promotion. Bite my lip and do my job (i'm blessed to have) I suppose.

:yup: It all makes sense now!! A little dissapointed there were no car chases :rawk: , martinis :bandit: and chicks in bikinis :drool: in the opening montage (although I did dig the sport fisher and horseback riding on the beach!)
Something like this would do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBVHKwf5mSc
And all that for only 25K - a bargain at twice the price!! :sarcasm:

LOL not to mention you get to wear your spiffy suit while lounging in your white walled apartment! Unless they have pilot suit pajamas too?! LMFAO I forgot about that part 4:00! What the hell iceman!? HAHA cheesy.

This is my favorite comment......

The people who don't like this program are the ones who don't have the money to pay for this program. Just because they can't get there faster while they're crawling with pistons. Think about it, same concept, decades ago everybody could find a job straight out of high school. Now, students are paying tens of thousands for a college degree, and still can't find a job. Why doesn't anyone complain about these college students who are raising the standards then?

(I hate people)

This is my favorite comment......

The people who don't like this program are the ones who don't have the money to pay for this program. Just because they can't get there faster while they're crawling with pistons. Think about it, same concept, decades ago everybody could find a job straight out of high school. Now, students are paying tens of thousands for a college degree, and still can't find a job. Why doesn't anyone complain about these college students who are raising the standards then?

(I hate people)

Wrong. The people who don't like this program are those that are disgusted that someone would actually pay to work. I have the money to pay for this program, and wouldn't spend it on this. Ask the recutier of any decent airline/corp. flight department what they think about this PFJ program on the street, and they will give you the true reason they don't like it. It's adding to the wasting away of the industry.

Wrong. The people who don't like this program are those that are disgusted that someone would actually pay to work. I have the money to pay for this program, and wouldn't spend it on this. Ask the recutier of any decent airline/corp. flight department what they think about this PFJ program on the street, and they will give you the true reason they don't like it. It's adding to the wasting away of the industry.

Think he was refering to the YT comment. :sitaware:

Hate to say it, but if I owned a regional airline, i would do the same thing. Why pay pilots when they will pay ME to work for my company? in reality GIA is brilliant for coming up with this.

And I thought Ameriflight's program was bad. There are a lot better ways to put all your self-respect on the shelf and become the laughing stock among your peers that don't cost $25,000. Besides, everyone knows only the two-stripers at Gulfstream ever get any chicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back