"Airline Internship" at ATP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, this is definately a bad thing for ATP. How much money do they actually think theyll make off this kind of program?

from www.allatps.com:
So why has ATP established a flight training program with Gulfstream?

This program addresses two of students’ greatest needs:

1. More access to financing.
* Student loans available exclusively thru this combined program feature accommodating credit requirements, helpful payment deferral, affordable interest rates, and the ability to include some additional coverage of living expenses.
2. Another way to build experience.
* While flight instructing remains the traditional way to build experience, this program provides another option while flight instructor positions are currently harder to locate.
3. More time to attain employment in your new career.
* With a loan deferrral period of up to 18 months after starting training, you can devote your energy towards building qualifications and preparing for your pilot job.

For many students, this program will provide one more option to start making progress towards achieving their career goals instead of sitting on the sidelines. As we all know, those who train during the down times end up on the front of a hiring wave and enjoy the most success in this industry.

ATP is adapting to the realities of the current market creating innovative programs that provide the most qualifications for the money to serve our customers’, students’, graduates’, and instructors’ best interests.

Gimme a break!

It would seem all this came out before ATP has even finalized the program. It now appears to be up up on our website and the CFI course is also included.

Yes I work for ATP. No I am not going to get drawn into the "PFJ" debate. Just butting in to make sure everyone is aware of what ATPs end of the program entails.
Well I guess it's good that ATP is including the CFI program. Like getting a bowl of icecream while getting prison-bleeped.

Impact on the profession aside...I still can't imagine how someone's personal finances could withstand 13.5 months of unemployment (according to ATP's updated page) while going $79,000 in debt (with checkride fees) then subtract your $2000 in "pay" from gulfstream. Remember for 8 of those months you're paying for your own housing too. What are the banks going to do? Loan people the $79,000 + living expenses?

Wow, this is horrible. ATP has gone to a new low.

hahaha. . .no really?

No amount of VA Approval will ever make THIS look good. What a scam.

I find it hilarious that ATP is jumping down to new lows in an effort to market "ACHIEVE YOUR DREAM OF FLYING!" Seems they just can't accept the reality that it's a slow market right now, deal with it. Instead they are looking for more ways to get fools to part with their money.

For all of those people who don't see a problem with paying for this, remember those words when one day you get furloughed because your company starts their own "intern" program......If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything. If people constantly undercut the pilot workforce it hurts all of us in the long run.

Oh and I don't know how but I almost forgot.... It really steams me that if you do this program then don't want to do your CFI they will give you $2000 back... To me this says that if you do this $25k "internship" that there is almost no need for your CFI. I think every pilot who wants to fly for a living should instruct for a period of time, not just to build time but to learn more as well. As i'm sure any other CFI would attest, between the creative ways students try to kill you in the plane to actually teaching material which solidifies the material in your head, it was far more valuable than that 'internship" ever could be......

The traditional 90 day program has always offered the same refund. There are refunds for leaving at every stage of the program. Way back in the good old days, you know a year ago, when the airlines were hiring low time, alot took the refund and went straight to the airlines. Here at GKY, they tried very hard to stop students from leaving without their CFIs, but they did not always listen. I tell every student to get their CFIs no matter what is happening.

Thats what I always begged students to do.... It also gives you something to fall back on if/when you get furloughed so you can keep flying.

what's the rush to progress quickly??? It isn't like there are many flying jobs available right now. Even CFI's are on the street...

For all of those people who don't see a problem with paying for this, remember those words when one day you get furloughed because your company starts their own "intern" program......If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything. If people constantly undercut the pilot workforce it hurts all of us in the long run.

Smell the coffee. . .

They. . .Don't. . .Care.

They want to wear a spiffy uniform and fly for a living and eat gumdrops and cherries.

Wow...I am now ashamed to be an alumni of ATP. You're gonna pay $25,000 for six months of flying right seat in a 1900 in a 121 operation???? That shouldn't even be legal. I'm not sure there is any airline out there that would PAY you $25,000 to fly right seat in a 1900. Disgusting....

Smell the coffee. . .

They. . .Don't. . .Care.

They want to wear a spiffy uniform and fly for a living and eat gumdrops and cherries.

I don't think they care much about the "for a living" part...as long as they get to walk through the teminal in their spiffy uniform, put the gear up and down and tell people they're an airline pilot.

I don't think they care much about the "for a living" part...as long as they get to walk through the teminal in their spiffy uniform, put the gear up and down and tell people they're an airline pilot.

Yea I ge tthe same feeling, unfortunatley I do need to worry about my living and financial future as do most other pilots since I don't have a trust fund so it does bother me to watch people "pay to play"........

Gulfstream airlines is not making a profit. They've lost money three out of the last four years. Would have lost money all four had investors not pumped money in.

haha, and part of their bailout is getting students to pay THEM to fly a commercial airliner....but I'm sure they have the students best interest in mind :sarcasm:

Smell the coffee. . .

They. . .Don't. . .Care.

You sound like a bunch of mainline pilots talking about regional pilots.

Pretty sure the reality is the disparity of representation by ALPA when it comes to mainline versus regional pilots has more to do with the wages of regional pilots than PFJ.

What ever happened to the RJDC

Ehh, that's highly debatable and I'll guaran-darn-tee ya that the regional guys feel that national favors them and the major guys feel that national favors the regionals.

That's actually fairly good balance.

Have you personally seen otherwise?

Wow...I am now ashamed to be an alumni of ATP. You're gonna pay $25,000 for six months of flying right seat in a 1900 in a 121 operation???? That shouldn't even be legal. I'm not sure there is any airline out there that would PAY you $25,000 to fly right seat in a 1900. Disgusting....

There isn't and we don't see that pay in regional jets or even a 135 freight jobs. What a joke...but there is a fool born every day.

I wonder what happens if someone busts their checkride in the 1900 and isnt able to even go onto GIA. Or is it just assumed that everyone will pass? <--- Dumb question really.

So do GIA captains have to get single pilot qualified? Haha.

Ehh, that's highly debatable and I'll guaran-darn-tee ya that the regional guys feel that national favors them and the major guys feel that national favors the regionals.

That's actually fairly good balance.

Have you personally seen otherwise?

I think national helps everyone, regardless of how much dues you put in, as best they can. The Colgan situation exemplifies this. Except Herndon IT which is the devil sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back