Aircraft Nicknames! Lets hear em'!

F-16 Single engine lawn dart

Or S Carolina Lawn Dart.....not to be confused with the AV-8B (and presumably AV-8A in those days), the North Carolina Lawn Dart.

Other good deserved or otherwise mil examples:

A3D: All Three Dead
F-15E: Mudhen
F-14: Turkey
S-3: Hoover
E-2C: Hummer
F-104: Rocket with a man in it
EA-6B: Flying Drumstick
and a couple for Bunk
T-45: Clownjet
T-34C: Weiner

HA I like A3D, has the ring of why the 105 was called thud, or lead sled

I think that one unfortunately had a lot more supporting anecdotal evidence than many of the other more lighthearted ones. There is some real scary footage out there from the late 1980's of an EA-3B trying to take a night barricade after multiple bolters and the recovery tanker went sour leaving them with no options. Legend has it that the FNG on the controls had a cut pass the day before (which is a big deal), and had a real • of an XO sitting next to him trying to drive the show and getting up in his grill. Regardless, they all paid the ultimate price when the nose gear (and nothing else) caught the barricade, shearing it off, and sending them careening off the end of the angle with presumably shut down motors (or at least idle). IIRC there were more than 3 guys in that one though....

G-IIB or SP: Super Duece
Metroliner: Pencil Bomber
Navajo: Navaslow
727: Trisaurus
Citation: Slowtation
Citabria: Slowtabria
C172RG (Cutlass): Gutless
BE-76: Crutchess

B727-200 (with the small -7B engines) Lead Sled
DC9 - Light twin when parked next to a 727
C-172 - Chickenhawk
E-110 Bandit
Lear 20 series - Widow Maker
C-500 Slowtation

One of the Embraers was the Barbi Jet (E-135 I think)

Here are a few from work, some I came up with, some have been around for a while.

EMB-120: Bro, Bruh, Broski, Brazzy, Brotosarus, Brazildo, crap*bucket, and the way a major airline gives a middle finger to its customers.

CRJ-200: 50-seater, Canadian Retarded Jet, Slatless wonder, the Stuka, Sardine Jet, RJ, Challengeder

CRJ-700, 70-seater, big RJ, Seven Hundo, Sav Seven(like savage, Bay Area slang), Canadian Engineering Climax, Cannuck Force One.

CRJ-900, Nine hun'd, Canadian Jumbo Jet, Bulimic MD-80, Yard stick(both for its shape and for dick measuring contests like Freedom Air).

As far as nicknaming planes I've flown, I refer to the Cessna 172 as a the Air Head Inn. Giggity.

Here are a few from work, some I came up with, some have been around for a while.

EMB-120: Bro, Bruh, Broski, Brazzy, Brotosarus, Brazildo, crap*bucket, and the way a major airline gives a middle finger to its customers.

CRJ-200: 50-seater, Canadian Retarded Jet, Slatless wonder, the Stuka, Sardine Jet, RJ, Challengeder

CRJ-700, 70-seater, big RJ, Seven Hundo, Sav Seven(like savage, Bay Area slang), Canadian Engineering Climax, Cannuck Force One.

CRJ-900, Nine hun'd, Canadian Jumbo Jet, Bulimic MD-80, Yard stick(both for its shape and for dick measuring contests like Freedom Air).

As far as nicknaming planes I've flown, I refer to the Cessna 172 as a the Air Head Inn. Giggity.
I'd add to that:

EMB-120: Brakillya, Brozilla, "dangerous little prop plane"

(The best reaction I ever witnessed to the Brasilia thus far was when a passenger looked up, saw it taxiing in, and said "Is that our airplane? Are you SERIOUS?")

CRJ-200: Lawn Dart

CRJ-700/-900: Widebody, Mainline (often with a smirk)

ERJ: Embry-Riddle Jet (so easy, even a Riddle grad can fly it), Electrical Reset Jet (because Every Mechanical Breakdown Requires An Electrical Reset)
Airbus 319/320: "Little" Airbus.
B-737: Fat Little Ugly...Fella, Herb Kelleher Clipper

And:
Twin Bonanza: Twin Bo, Bo, Bronanza
C-172: Chicken Hawk

I did a training session for a CRJ-900 guy who told me he was going to fly the heavy jet. I informed him that his head was bigger than the cockpit.

900:

-900 heavy
-Int'l jet

200:

-reset jet
-desert jet

Back