Aircraft Nicknames Anyone?

The 320 is "Fifi," the CRJ-200 is the Slatless Wonder (in polite company; in impolite company I describe that airplane in incredibly nasty terms).

For some reason people call the EMB-120 Brasilia the "Bro," though I largely don't conversationally.

Various Embraer jets have been referred to as "Jungle Jets."
They call a specific aircraft type FIFI ?!? That must be one helluvan aircraft raaaight thar!

My recollection of "FIFI" is more of a verb-form term used to describe what a job-keeper does when confronted by that horrible, cognitively dissonant state of reality when one is presented with a broke-ass aircraft (of any type). Everyone in management is pretending that the aircraft ain't actually broke. You, as a pilot, definitively know that the aircraft is broke, but yer being "asked" to fly the airplane anyway. So, you saunter out to the line demonstrating proper Captain swagger, and state, "FIFI !" (EFF It, Fly It).

The 320 is "Fifi," the CRJ-200 is the Slatless Wonder (in polite company; in impolite company I describe that airplane in incredibly nasty terms).

For some reason people call the EMB-120 Brasilia the "Bro," though I largely don't conversationally.

Well, they are Jungle Jets. 'C'ept fer the wee ones these days. These days, they build the wee ones in Florida. Still, I'm not sure Florida doesn't still qualify as most jungly place ever...

Q400 - 4Hundy, Q-bicle, Megawacker
TriStar - TriTanic
CSeries/220 - Canibus
E175 - Alexa (cause it’s from the Amazon)
727 - Good “safe” airplane (climbs like a safe, cruises like a safe, lands like a safe)
172RG - Gutless (vs Cutlass)
747 - The Queen
A350 - DergLiner (or Panda)
Love the 727 ref. From a customer perspective, the 727 was one of the best rides ever! From a pilot perspective, you really needed to be at least 5 minutes ahead of your aircraft at any given moment.

My personal nickname for the A319 is the fart plane. It looks like a little flying fart (or shart)

Shop I came from would call various 110s Brolets, or Little Brothers.

The CRJs were always "The Dirty Deuce," but there was another tail (probably still flying) lovingly called "Bambi."

I know quite a few reset jets, but the 190s each had nicknames. Nosewheel Nancy after some new ground crews routinely popped shearpins during pushback.

B727 Whisper Jet
E110 - Bandit
C172 Chicken Hawk
A350 Trash panda
C172RG Gutless
Embraer Jungle jets
B-52 BUFF Big Ugly Fat F'er

Not a nickname, but when the 20 series Lears were taking off we'd all look at each other and "I didn't know fighters were based here?".

Some I didn't notice posted"

A380 - "Majestic Super" (eventually, pilots would often use "Majestic" instead of "Super" after their callsign when I did ramp control after enough comments to 'follow\give way to the majestic super' over the years)
787 - "Sparky Jet" (battery fires)
CRJ-200 - "Duece", "Lawn Dart"
CRJ-900 - "Ninehundo"
EMB-120 "Brozilla" (though "Bro" was much more common)
Metroliner - "San Antonio Sewer Pipe" (built in SA)
752 - "Atari Ferarri" (performance + late 70s tech)
753 - "Slave Ship" (lol, pilots)
MD-80 series "Mad Dog"
717 - "Hush Puppy"
COMAC ARJ-21 - "Canton Hush Puppy" (Chinese 717 knockoff, built in Guangzhou in the Canton region)
F-104 Starfighter - "Window Maker"

Today I learned our L10’s were called “Sprites” or “7/Up’s” (can’t remember) because they were lemons with limey engines.

Back