Aircraft Nicknames Anyone?

form810

Mandate my ass! It's a movie, not a life.
Some planes get nicknames. Appellations that denote or connote a particular characteristic or characteristics of the aircraft.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Metroliner, aka "Lawn Dart".

Or the B52, aka "BUFF".

Or the Piper Tomahawk, aka "Traumahawk".

Anyone got additions for the list?

I mean, every military airplane has a nickname. My least favorite is “bug” with respect to the Hornet. It was a legacy of the Tomcat dudes, and has since been adopted by people who have never set foot in a fighter aircraft. They dont realize it is derogatory, but that’s my baby girl, the legacy “bug” hornet. She’s mostly on sticks now, but I will never forget her short but toned legs :)

I mean, every military airplane has a nickname. My least favorite is “bug” with respect to the Hornet. It was a legacy of the Tomcat dudes, and has since been adopted by people who have never set foot in a fighter aircraft. They dont realize it is derogatory, but that’s my baby girl, the legacy “bug” hornet. She’s mostly on sticks now, but I will never forget her short but toned legs :)
Yeah well, when Cats can't find a mouse, they'll oft just as eagerly play with Bugs instead. 😉

Yeah well, when Cats can't find a mouse, they'll oft just as eagerly play with Bugs instead. 😉

Fortunately they live in this afterworld where in their minds, anyone cares about the fact they could sweep the wings :)

Are these VMFAs going to the boat with them?

No last boat VMFA Hornet deployment was 2021 with VMFA-323. That was the last time any Hornet will ever be on the boat. That being said, -323 is the squadron that picked up the FRS duties for -101 when they were decommissioned last week. Based on the daily flight schedule i get from them now, it appears they are only doing recurrent type stuff for previously qualified folks (what we call “cat others”).

VMFAs keepin em going!
Two Marines were on short final. They approached the runway on speed and glidepath. Hit the runway and soon after skidded off the other end. After finally stopping in a soybean field, the Pilot turned to the NFO and stated how short the runway was. The NFO agreed that it was the shortest runway ever. A couple minutes later, the pilot turns to the NFO and says, "but did you see how wide it was... it seemed to stretch out forever!" 😁

The 320 is "Fifi," the CRJ-200 is the Slatless Wonder (in polite company; in impolite company I describe that airplane in incredibly nasty terms).

For some reason people call the EMB-120 Brasilia the "Bro," though I largely don't conversationally.

Various Embraer jets have been referred to as "Jungle Jets."

Q400 - 4Hundy, Q-bicle, Megawacker
TriStar - TriTanic
CSeries/220 - Canibus
E175 - Alexa (cause it’s from the Amazon)
727 - Good “safe” airplane (climbs like a safe, cruises like a safe, lands like a safe)
172RG - Gutless (vs Cutlass)
747 - The Queen
A350 - DergLiner (or Panda)

Never understood the CRJ-200 hate. It was a fine first jet. Landed very nicely with a trailing link gear. Sure it was a pig for climbing but it was mostly doing short(er) routes so rarely was there a need to go super high.

I actually loved the airplane. Wish I got to Captain it but such was not to be.

Back