Air Force One aborts a landing....executes a missed approach

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
....and announced a "missed approach" over the radio to ATC. My god....the drama! Luckily.....they were able to land the second time. There but for the grace of God, go I........

And this is news how? :rolleyes:

The last sentence is the best "No injuries were reported."

(CNN) -- Air Force One, flying President Barack Obama to a campaign event, aborted an initial landing attempt in Ohio on Wednesday due to weather conditions.

The jumbo jet experienced turbulence on approach to Toledo and was within sight of the runway when the pilot pulled the plane up and circled the airport, according to reporters on board.

"Air Force One, missed approach," the pilot announced to air traffic controllers, according to radio recordings on the website LiveATC.net.

"We'd like radar vectors back around," the pilot said, according to the recordings.

The Boeing 747 landed safely shortly before noon ET after its go-around, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The FAA described the incident as a "routine missed approach due to weather."

Weather conditions included fog and mist. Visibility was three miles, but the clouds were at 400 feet.

No injuries were reported.

Story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/26/travel/air-force-one-landing/index.html

It was low all day yesterday over here at YIP. We were bouncing between OVC001-003 in the morning. I guess the average would be OVC002? :rolleyes:

The ILS is out at TOL right now so that probably didn't help things.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

thehugemanatee.jpg

It skeerd me to hear the fear in the pilots voice as he called missed approach! This is further evidence to show that the leader of the free world shouldn't be flying around in aircraft decades old!

:sarcasm:

3 miles and 400 over, might as well be 10 and clear.
129208363809026294.jpg

I heard they were planning to replace the 747 with a 787 soon.
I hope so, but that opinion of mine has nothing to do with this event.
The TSA is investigating!
Hah, subject everyone on board to passenger screening. TSA advises the President to arrive at least one hour prior to his scheduled departure...
Maybe they should have flight planned better? Just sayin'.......
"You were at all times the holder of ATP certificate (...); you were pilot-in-command of Air Force One, a Boeing VC-25, on or about...; You failed to become familiar with all available information about the flight, and in so doing, you operated in a careless or reckless manner..." :sarcasm: ;)

I heard they were planning to replace the 747 with a 787 soon.

It won't be soon and Boeing has already presented a proposal for the 747-8i as a replacement. It would take some time (years) to add/incorporate all of the special modifications needed to any aircraft. The 8 already has the engine and wing technologies of the 787 anyways. Boeing has also come up with a performance package upgrade and some other improved modifications for her also that would fit in well.

It won't be soon and Boeing has already presented a proposal for the 747-8 (wide-body derivative) as a replacement. It would take some time (years) to add/incorporate all of the special modifications needed to any aircraft. The 8 already has the engine and wing technologies of the 787 anyways.
I like how the Prime Minister of the British government travels, personally: in a chartered British Airways 777.

Back