Air Canada A320 Crash at YHZ

But you just commented, in order to say that you can't comment.

So what is rumor you've heard then, from other places?

:D
Ha!

No rumours really.

I guess I can say I'm a bit suprised.

Air Canada is world class in safety and procedures.

Halifax is well known by pilots, especially Canadian ones, for its remarkable ability to produce horrid flying weather.... But that's geography.

If this was joe blow in a Navajo I wouldn't be as shocked, that's why I'm curious to see how this investigation goes, no glideslope on RW05 so that's the obvious suspected cause, but given the high ability and professionalism of these guys/gals I wonder what else was a factor.

But you just commented, in order to say that you can't comment.

So what is rumor you've heard then, from other places?

:D

It's like when people on social media say "I literally can't even."

Can't even what? :)

LOC approach to 5, with winds gusting in the 50's at a 90º angle, blowing snow, RVR at Minimums, dark. I think YYZ sounds like a good place to spend the night.

Last edited:
Daytime photos are uploaded to the TSBs flikr, looks like more than just a 'hard landing' as the media says. Parts of runway lights imbedded in the aircraft. People on Twitter and Facebook are thanking the crew and Air Canada for a safe outcome of the incident.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tsbcanada

CBRYNR4UIAA_sxD.jpg

"Hey, FO....go do your post-flight inspection. Don't forget the engine back there on the runway."

It's been 2 hours and not a single selfie has been leaked and mass distributed among the global media? Canadians. I'll be they didn't block the aisles with riffling thru the overheads for their carry-ons either.
I guess I'm a little annoyed at the constant USA-bashing, but man, I tell ya, I've been to a lot of different countries, and Americans are generally pretty well-behaved. I assure you Canadians, Germans, Swedes, Norwegians, and all sorts of other nationalities self-loathing Americans "look up" to do the same crap we do.

Canadian airlines (lower not upper case) seem to be extremely lucky.
The Gimli glider and Air Transat also come to mind.
I will argue that in both cases excellent experience and training saved both of those flights.

Yea luck played a role, but so it does in every "save"

Last edited:
LOC approach to 5, with winds gusting in the 50's at a 90º angle, blowing snow, RVR at Minimums, dark. I think YYZ sounds like a good place to spend the night.

I hate overnighting in YYZ but I will agree with you on this. What are the x-wind limits in the 320?

Good lord.

Don't ask for a 'wind check' on an icy runway with questionable crosswinds.

You might set the cool kids on the internet ablaze with scornful disdain.
This morning, in SFO, with no knots. (Not your employer. They had Battlestar Smisek's logo on the tail. ;) ) "Wind check."

"Bro..."

I mean, there are only two times that I ask for one, though:
(1) when I really need one, or
(2) when I'm looking to embarrass the pilot flying.

Sometimes, 1 and 2 are the same time. :cool:

This morning, in SFO, with no knots. (Not your employer. They had Battlestar Smisek's logo on the tail. ;) ) "Wind check."

"Bro..."

I mean, there are only two times that I ask for one, though:
(1) when I really need one, or
(2) when I'm looking to embarrass the pilot flying.

Sometimes, 1 and 2 are the same time. :cool:

I used to look scornfully at those that asked for wind checks...then I got a few types under my belt, more experience in different airplanes, and had a realization that they are warranted.

I used to look scornfully at those that asked for wind checks...then I got a few types under my belt, more experience in different airplanes, and had a realization that they are warranted.
They're handy, don't get me wrong. I get them when I think I need them.

Back