Air America Phone Interview

MD-11Loader

I have a phone interview with Air America this week for an aerial mapping position. Can anyone give me some tips on what they might ask and if there is anything that I should brush up on? Thanks.

I talked to them last year, so my info may be a little dated. It was a real casual talk about the type of flying I had done in the past, a few simple scenario questions, and they told me about the job.

What would I do with a rough running engine? Tell them about an emergency I'd had or if I'd had one what I'd do. Any mountain flying experience? Stuff like that.

I found during the phone call I wouldn't be a good fit and let them know. They'll give you a few days to think it over before they bring you in for an interview. Hope that helps.

There is an extensive thread in the jobs section about all the picto vendors, but short version from what ive gathered is the schedule is 100% on the road for the whole season, you fly everyday weather/mx provided, and from what it seems AA pays the best they give you a base pay, hourly rate and per diem.

Just had a phone interview this morning. They sound great to work with. My living situation kinda leaves me stationary for now, and I'm too close to my CFI to abandon that career path right now and sacrifice life as I know it for the job. But they seem like they are galaxies better than their competitors. It was very casual, a few questions about flight experience and some scenario stuff already mentioned here. Nothing hardball. If I had to pick a place and was willing to live on the road these guys would be my first pick by a long shot. They give two one week vacations and give like $500 bucks for you to spend on those vacations...so yea that sounds pretty ideal.

yeah, I'd definitely be curious to know what the in person interview consists of. I just did the phone interview, it was really relaxed, like Lupica said all the previous posts of questions are what he asks, just trying to get a gauge of you. I will say in our conversation he mentioned over 300 applicants that they want to whittle to 5-10. Definitely seems like THE gig though, two vacations with airfare and spending money, plus great pay. Good luck to everyone, hopefully a JC or two get picked up

Question is, what does the actual sit-down interview consist of?

I just finished up my phone interview and like others have said it was very relaxed. Almost like they were seeing how comfortable you felt about flying and if you knew some of the basics. The interviewer told me that an in person interview if selected would be held in Daytona and it would consist of an oral interview along with a written and flight portion.

Just did mine as well, very good conversation about how you like hotels, some scenario based flying questions (basic), mountain flying experience and ice/cold weather experience. Then he went over the pay/details of the equip. If we're successful we will go to DAB for an oral, written and flight.

Good luck to all! Sounds like a great gig.

Pilotdw did you already have your phone interview? When did you graduate from Purdue?

I did it this morning it went pretty well pretty much everything USN88 said. I just graduated from Purdue in May still working on my CFI so I'm exploring other options at the same time.

Just finished my interview. It was pretty straight forward. He asked about my experience with mountain flying, what I would do if I became fatigued. Have I ever had an emergency, and what did I do? He broke down the pay/per diem, lifestyle, asked my career goals. We talked about how the planes are maintained and a few other things. We talked about the environments that I have trained in, and flying into icing conditions. All in all it was a comfortable interview. Hopefully I get the next call.

My times are 285/65 CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI

I don't have anything considered real mountain flying, Northeast only have the mole hills we call the adirondacks.

I think the real question is how many actually have mountain flying experience. Unless you did your training west of the Mississippi then you probably don't.

Back