Air ambulance training offer with only possibility of employment?

Jherny

Has anyone ever heard of being offered ground training with the possibility of employment after completion? I'm being offered ground training but no guarantee of employment after. Sounds sketchy. Has anyone ever had experience in this scenario? It's for a king air air ambulance first officer position. I had a Skype interview and was told they would get back to me and I few days later I got this confusing email being offered training but not necessarily a job just a possibility after training... I have never heard of this. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did they ask you to pay for your training? If not, I would ask them if you will be compensated for it. No reply? Then I would bail.

No I don't have to pay, and they will actually pay you for the time in training if you get hired within 180 days. They are also paying for the hotel accommodations all I have to spend money on is getting there and food...

I have had enough of these sketchy companies jerking pilots around. I would not give them the time of day. There are lots of good air ambulance gigs out there. Go find one who speaks in plain terms.
The problem is, every pilot that accepts abuse sets a precedent for the next pilot. When will we as a workforce start sticking up for ourselves?

I have had enough of these sketchy companies jerking pilots around. I would not give them the time of day. There are lots of good air ambulance gigs out there. Go find one who speaks in plain terms.
The problem is, every pilot that accepts abuse sets a precedent for the next pilot. When will we as a workforce start sticking up for ourselves?
Yeah that's completely true...

Any Air Ambulance company worth working for will train you properly and pick up the tab. Be careful with this one........

What's the company name?

Not necessarily unusual. I'd would likely want them clarify pay during training though. All they are likely really saying is "we'really not hiring you unless you pass training. "

Not necessarily unusual. I'd would likely want them clarify pay during training though. All they are likely really saying is "we'really not hiring you unless you pass training. "
Yeah that's kind of what I got from the email... They are only paying for your time in training IF they hire you.

Bold and underlined.

However you gotta do what is right for you. Don't do it for the good of the collective, do it because its shady and you're first act of working there is grabbing ankle. What else awaits you??

Sounds like BS to me. Having to pay to get there, and maybe if you're hired....not getting a warm-fuzzy.

Isecond what dustoff wrote. Is the call 24/7, too?

I'd be a lot more wary if they weren't picking up the hotel and training tab. It's definitely a gray area, but I can conceive of it being a legit situation where they're giving someone with low time an opportunity to get factory training on a "large" aircraft and don't want to wind up with some joker who can't find the gear knob already on the payroll. *shrug*. If the OP can tell us the name of the company, their reputation very likely precedes them...

I'd be a lot more wary if they weren't picking up the hotel and training tab. It's definitely a gray area, but I can conceive of it being a legit situation where they're giving someone with low time an opportunity to get factory training on a "large" aircraft and don't want to wind up with some joker who can't find the gear knob already on the payroll. *shrug*. If the OP can tell us the name of the company, their reputation very likely precedes them...
Yeah I'm not too sure what to think of the offer... Never heard of anything like this but nothing surprises me in the industry anymore. It's for Lifeteam. Ever heard of them?

As in Air Evac Lifeteam? If so, it's a big company. Never heard of them using F/Os, but that might be down to the hospital.

They do have a KA90 based in Great Bend but the headquarters is based in Newton (just north of Wichita). They fly two-pilot KA90 and single pilot Bell 206s. Small operation. The people are really nice but they are below the "norm" for pay. Most of the pilots I know that have flown for them build time and go because of the pay. Great place to start....

http://www.lifeteam.us/

EDIT: Let me correct this by saying that the pay might be normal for the industry. They were lower than another company to which I had applied (the other company might have been higher than the "norm")

I can conceive of it being a legit situation where they're giving someone with low time an opportunity to get factory training on a "large" aircraft and don't want to wind up with some joker who can't find the gear knob already on the payroll. *shrug*.

I agree, so the question to Jherny would be: Is this a special case because you do not meet their mins, or is this how they hire everybody?

Back