age seems to be a roadblock

AZflyboy

By the end of this imagery season I will be close to 1500 hours, only thing that is in my way it seems is my age. I am 20 years and could not take the ATP written even when I wanted to. I honestly never really took a look at the age requirements for the ATP until after I started my training and now it seems i'll be stuck part 91 for awhile. I'm working on my associates right now and then bachelors but even then, is there a way into the airlines once I hit 1500? Or am I literally stuck until 23? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This is not a bad problem to have. It looks like you might have just don't things in a different order. Instead of college then flying, it was the other way around. You got one part finished (ratings and 1500 hours), time to do the other part (COLLEGE!).

This is not a bad problem to have. It looks like you might have just don't things in a different order. Instead of college then flying, it was the other way around. You got one part finished (ratings and 1500 hours), time to do the other part (COLLEGE!).
I didn't think it was either, I just was wondering how this whole airline thing will work out for me as i'll have to go through the ATP training now and wait some more. Honestly though I do love this job and it won't kill me to stick around a few more seasons, I just wanted to have a progression plan ready and this seems to be a roadblock for my plan. Also my parents gave me a choice of staying at my tire factory job and progressing with the company and moving out, or go fly ASAP, move out and get on with my life. College wasn't exactly an option for me because of money going into flight school so I finished this first.

Last edited:
Came in here thinking someone in their 50s/60s was having trouble getting hired.

Yes you're stuck in an excellent position, now add me to the list of go chase some tail.
This job makes the tail chasing game resort to the tinder app. which sucks.

What about guys who pretend to dogfight in 172's? haha

I can't remember who it specifically was, but we were down on Mill Avenue my sophomore year and one of the group said, "We're pilots!"

She asked "What do you fly?"

"Mostly Cessnas, but (whoever) is flying the big one, the Seminole!"

"Neat, my boyfriend is a Viper IP over at Luke"

As a career fighter pilot, I can attest that I sure haven't had any abnormally higher levels of chick diggage over the years.

But, then again, I may just be ugly. Or smell bad. Or it might be my third nipple.
I just spit my coffee allover my hotel bed thanks hahaha. Have you tried riding a motorcycle with your fighter pilot jacket on? I always thought that would work pretty good

I can't remember who it specifically was, but we were down on Mill Avenue my sophomore year and one of the group said, "We're pilots!"

She asked "What do you fly?"

"Mostly Cessnas, but (whoever) is flying the big one, the Seminole!"

"Neat, my boyfriend is a Viper IP over at Luke"
Talk about major shut down haha. Did you live in Phoenix or was it just a visit? Mill ave sure has some nice crowds at night.

By the end of this imagery season I will be close to 1500 hours, only thing that is in my way it seems is my age. I am 20 years and could not take the ATP written even when I wanted to. I honestly never really took a look at the age requirements for the ATP until after I started my training and now it seems i'll be stuck part 91 for awhile. I'm working on my associates right now and then bachelors but even then, is there a way into the airlines once I hit 1500? Or am I literally stuck until 23? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You're in a great position, but don't think that just because you can't work for a Part 121 carrier right now means you are stuck only in Part 91 flying. Part 135 could even be an option for you.

Keep you eyes and ears open and you never know what might come your way. Just take a look at the career of @DPApilot

You're in a great position, but don't think that just because you can't work for a Part 121 carrier right now means you are stuck only in Part 91 flying. Part 135 could even be an option for you.

Keep you eyes and ears open and you never know what might come your way. Just take a look at the career of @DPApilot
I'll definitely keep an eye open for those gigs thanks! I literally tossed over a few hundred app's out with 250 hours and finally landed this gig and I got lucky. Hopefully that luck continues when my app's go out for some 135's

Back