age seems to be a roadblock

Airliners will still be around, @AZflyboy - I like what Hacker is saying here. Go have some fun, before you get some "serious" responsibilities.
I appreciate what you guys are saying, I just got into this mindset where I didn't want to put off career flying too long before it became too late. But then again, I guess it's never really "too late."

Even at 23, you will still on the young side of things. I know many guys that didn't hit 121 until their 40's. I doubt you will make too much of a career flying without a college degree. Some guys make it, but it is the exception to the rule. It seems that you may have done things out of the traditional order, but it is certainly not "wrong". Congrats on your accomplishments - Now go to school.

As a career fighter pilot, I can attest that I sure haven't had any abnormally higher levels of chick diggage over the years.

But, then again, I may just be ugly. Or smell bad. Or it might be my third nipple.
AHHHH you have the legendary THI-PPLE!

I appreciate what you guys are saying, I just got into this mindset where I didn't want to put off career flying too long before it became too late. But then again, I guess it's never really "too late."

Brother, I'm in my early 40s and have yet to get my first job at an "airline". You are literally less than half my age.

You aren't even in the same neighborhood as "too late".

Even at 23, you will still on the young side of things. I know many guys that didn't hit 121 until their 40's. I doubt you will make too much of a career flying without a college degree. Some guys make it, but it is the exception to the rule. It seems that you may have done things out of the traditional order, but it is certainly not "wrong". Congrats on your accomplishments - Now go to school.
That's what I am currently working on, doing online classes for my degree while building my hours at my job. I knew that you would need a degree to progress in this career, I just was in a different position when it came to flying vs. working on the ground and flying was my first choice. College wasn't an option to begin with and now that I have a job flying I can finally do that thankfully.

Honest question: Are people taking the online-only college degree's seriously? The type of degrees where there is no "brick and mortar" college, and the student never sits in a classroom. I haven't really heard much about it one way or the other. Personally, I would think a degree from a major institution would be more impressive, but would a degree from one on the online schools hold you back?

Honest question: Are people taking the online-only college degree's seriously? The type of degrees where there is no "brick and mortar" college, and the student never sits in a classroom. I haven't really heard much about it one way or the other. Personally, I would think a degree from a major institution would be more impressive, but would a degree from one on the online schools hold you back?
To be completely honest, I don't know. It is online through my local community college and I do happen to pop in when I am in town. This summer I'm going to be off from work and planning on actually going in while I'm off from work. I ran out of money for my CFI and that was the only thing I felt I could have at least a job doing in the meantime but that isn't the case. I lucked out and started doing survey which finally allows me to build time, pay off flight school and work on my degree which is all I care about now. Hey if someone tells me that a online degree through an actual community college doesn't work for them, oh well. That's there problem. I'll end up flying somewhere I like eventually.

I'm not. But I'm a brick-and-mortar snob.

Always put yourself in the position of those doing the interview (or imagine your'e the boss of the company).

Would you put your company's future and the lives of your passengers in the hands of some kid, or would you want a grown-up flying the airplane?
Would you prefer a pilot with a proper education or one without?

To those doing the hiring, the "college education" means much more than learning something. It means that for four years or so you got up every morning, got to school on time, did what was expected of you and graduated. In other words, you're the kind of person who can get to work on time, do what's expected of you, and do your job properly.

Viewed from this perspective the whole process becomes much easier to understand.

Always put yourself in the position of those doing the interview (or imagine your'e the boss of the company).

Would you put your company's future and the lives of your passengers in the hands of some kid, or would you want a grown-up flying the airplane?
Would you prefer a pilot with a proper education or one without?

To those doing the hiring, the "college education" means much more than learning something. It means that for four years or so you got up every morning, got to school on time, did what was expected of you and graduated. In other words, you're the kind of person who can get to work on time, do what's expected of you, and do your job properly.

Viewed from this perspective the whole process becomes much easier to understand.
I get what you are saying, but in reality I still went through the same flight training that a 40 year old man could go through as well and the only difference is age. College is indeed in progress as we speak and I wouldn't personally stop a "kid" from being hired by me as long as he knew the job and was qualified for it. Personality would also be a big thing for me, Just because someone is younger doesn't mean you have to stop them dead in there tracks. Some people have to "grow up" quicker than others and responsibilities come earlier. I wish I could have gone to a nice fancy college and lived it up with all my buddies but I couldn't do that so here I am. I have a dream and goal that I have yet to give up on and I only strive for the best, my survey job never even asked me my age and I don't think it would have made a difference as I flew that airplane in the interview like I should be able to.

As my fellow alumni learned during our tenure at Riddle, chicks dig pilots alright… FIGHTER pilots, not us.

They didn't dig me when I was living in the Lemon Terrace Apts next to ASU while going to pilot training at Willie. And I thought I looked cool.....not.

Meh, to each his own. I've had plenty of girls that thought it was cool, even my current girlfriend (lied about giving her a plane ride to get her to hang out, it'll be a year together tomorrow :p ). I don't think being a pilot is going to make or break the deal.

Meh, to each his own. I've had plenty of girls that thought it was cool, even my current girlfriend (lied about giving her a plane ride to get her to hang out, it'll be a year together tomorrow :p ). I don't think being a pilot is going to make or break the deal.

...being f'ing hot sure doesn't hurt!

@AZflyboy
You sound like you are in a great position. There is a common theme to the responses that I will echo...get the degree. My additional two cents worth is to get that degree in something useful and that interests you. NOT aviation related. This way you will have something to fall back on or use on the side.

@AZflyboy
You sound like you are in a great position. There is a common theme to the responses that I will echo...get the degree. My additional two cents worth is to get that degree in something useful and that interests you. NOT aviation related. This way you will have something to fall back on or use on the side.
That is exactly what I am going for right now actually! I didn't want to get an aviation degree from the get go and decided to go with something on the side or maybe incase something does happen in this industry I know I can atleast back myself up no matter what age. Thank you

Back