Age 21 requirement

Just wondering, besides any legal complications (In CA, one can serve alcohol at 18, but cannot make any mixed drinks [bartending] until 21) how can a company openly get away with age discrimination?

Age discrimination is perfectly ok. Anyone under 21 is not responsible and it must be ensured that their jobs reflect that. Once a person reaches 21 years of age, they mature instantly. As a matter of fact, I am sure that the night I turn 21 will be the most responsible night of my life.

Alex.

Age discrimination is perfectly ok. Anyone under 21 is not responsible and it must be ensured that their jobs reflect that. Once a person reaches 21 years of age, they mature instantly. As a matter of fact, I am sure that the night I turn 21 will be the most responsible night of my life.

Alex.

I'm maturing here on the 24th of September, when is yours Alex?

Without a doubt though it will be one of the most responsible nights of my life. At least I'm not driving.:)

I'm maturing here on the 24th of September, when is yours Alex?

Without a doubt though it will be one of the most responsible nights of my life. At least I'm not driving.:)

A week before yours on the 17th. If our new plane gets delievered in time we will be in Vegas. It'll be interesting:)

Alex.

At least you guys will reach any job-related age requirements soon. How do you think older people like me feel when we have a sneaking suspicion we're turned down for a job due to our age?

At least you guys will reach any job-related age requirements soon. How do you think older people like me feel when we have a sneaking suspicion we're turned down for a job due to our age?

I've actually got a little over two years until I reach the only true age requirement holding me back. You have to be 23 for the ATP. There actually are not that many age barriers in this industry.

Alex.

All those alcohol rules are state by state. In fact (AFAIK) there is no federal drinking age, its just that if state has an age less than 21 they lose all highway funds, so every state that wants money for their roads has a drinking age of 21.

Yet I know of several Hawaiian FA's who are under 21 and the State of Hawaii's legal drinking age is 21???????

As I get older, I look back at my younger days and say "What was I thinking?" I still do it, but I find it happens a lot less than it used to.

I just can't imagine how today's typical 18 or 19 year old would handle a United 232 (or a 93).

I have absolutely no FA experience and have no basis for this comment, but i have to agree with Jhugz and citation kid. I've met some grossly immature adults,and i've met some young kids that could show them a thing or two. That being said age discrimination isn't the solution only selective and through testing can get rid of the immature in a hiring pool. As a side note my bias is in the fact that like Jhugz and Citation Kid i "magically mature instantly" in less than two months

I just can't imagine how today's typical 18 or 19 year old would handle a United 232 (or a 93).

As for United 232, there was a young stew (19 or 20) on her first trip. A friend of mine was a survivor FA from that flight. The new hire unfortunately did not survive the crash, as she was seated at the 1R door (if you are familiar with the crash the plane cartwheeled and the forward right part of the plane took a lot of the damage).

According to the HR class I took a couple of years ago, there is no such thing as age discrimination at the lower end of the spectrum. There are no laws (other than child labor laws) that regulate discrimination at the younger ages, therefore it cannot be illegal. I seem to remember the only laws for age discrimination were at the upper end of the spectrum. I don't remember exactly, but the age where it started was around 50 or so.

As for the airlines choosing not to hire under a certain age, I am perfectly okay with that. Yes, some of you may not think its fair, especially if you don't meet the requirement, but the airlines have it for a reason. They most likely did hire under that age at one point in time, but found it to cause them more trouble and headaches than it was worth. This causing them to decide not to hire under a certain age.

I know you guys that are 18, 19, and 20 right now think you are being screwed, but you aren't. Yes some of you may be mature enough to handle the responsiblities, but you are more of the exception than the rule in that case. I too thought I was really responsible at that age. All my teachers and the adults around me would always tell me how mature I was for my age. Then I turned 19, then 20, then 21. I remember looking back each year and thinking I did a lot of immature things the year before. Then I turned 21 and thought "awesome I'm 21 and an adult now!" Now I'm 23 and look back at how immature I was at 21. Yes I know I'm still not fully mature all the time, but I'm probably 100 times more mature than I was when I was 18. When I turn 25, I'm sure I will look back and think how stupid I was at 23. My point being, don't let your view get skewed. The airlines have created these hiring requirements because they have found it to be in their best interests.

Maturity maybe? I don't want to start a firestorm, but I think 18 is too young to be a FA. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large, I hardly think a teenager is mature enough to handle difficult situations that arise on virtually EVERY flight.

I was 18 years old when I started flying part 121. I was flying jets by the age of 19, and I was an RJ captain shortly after my 23rd birthday. I think you'd have a hard time finding someone I flew with that would say I was immature and shouldn't have been there.

Just wondering, besides any legal complications (In CA, one can serve alcohol at 18, but cannot make any mixed drinks [bartending] until 21) how can a company openly get away with age discrimination?

I know the government can openly discriminate, but how can a private company get away with?

The above poster is correct. It's only considered discrimination if you are part of a protected class. For age discrimination, the protected class starts at 40.

Maturity maybe? I don't want to start a firestorm, but I think 18 is too young to be a FA. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large, I hardly think a teenager is mature enough to handle difficult situations that arise on virtually EVERY flight.

You have got to be kidding. Difficult situations that arise on virtually EVERY flight???? That is ridiculous. Handing someone 2 cokes on 1 flight does not constitute a difficult situation, neither does asking the cockpit to warm up the cabin, or handing someone a seat belt extender. This does not mean that flight attendants have an easy job, but don't over dramatize the situation.

Not trying to be rude here, but why would she waste her time and theirs applying for a position where she doesn't meet a basic requirement? :confused:

What does she have to lose???? All they can say is no. It is not like she is applying for a career position, it's a FA at Skywest. Terrible advice!

You have got to be kidding. Difficult situations that arise on virtually EVERY flight???? That is ridiculous. Handing someone 2 cokes on 1 flight does not constitute a difficult situation, neither does asking the cockpit to warm up the cabin, or handing someone a seat belt extender. This does not mean that flight attendants have an easy job, but don't over dramatize the situation.

What does she have to lose???? All they can say is no. It is not like she is applying for a career position, it's a FA at Skywest. Terrible advice!

There is so much wrong with your post, but I'll be the bigger person and leave it alone. :rolleyes: Suffice it to say, you have NO idea what you're talking about.

There is so much wrong with your post, but I'll be the bigger person and leave it alone. :rolleyes: Suffice it to say, you have NO idea what you're talking about.

Well then, almighty, all-knowing FA, let's hear what 'difficult situations arise on EVERY flight'.

Well then, almighty, all-knowing FA, let's hear what 'difficult situations arise on EVERY flight'.

Well, according to your details, you're something having to do with an "rj." My suggestion is you ask one of your solo FAs. You may or may not want to get back to me after that.

Back