Age 21 requirement

Thanks for the info guys. The Skywest F/As I've talked to seem to think it had to do with serving booze, but after reading all this I'm leaning towards maturity issues. I guess she can apply anyway and the least they can do is reject her.

Not trying to be rude here, but why would she waste her time and theirs applying for a position where she doesn't meet a basic requirement? :confused:

Thanks for the info guys. The Skywest F/As I've talked to seem to think it had to do with serving booze, but after reading all this I'm leaning towards maturity issues. I guess she can apply anyway and the least they can do is reject her.

No point in wasting her time applying. Compass is hiring under 21, as is Colgan. Have her check in there...

Don't you have to be 21 to serve liquor? Or is it different on a airplane? My next door neighbor owns a couple bars and he said you have to be 21 to serve liquor and 18 to serve beer.

I started at Eagle at 20.

Depends on the airline. Some hire at 18, some at 19, some at 20 and some at 21. Check the "qualifications" for each airline, and don't bother if you do not meet their age requirement. You will NOT be selected.

Though I was "only" 20, I feel (and the airline obviously felt) I was mature enough for the job. Maturity is relative, and depends a LOT on the individual. I've met some very mature teenagers, and I've met some hideously immature "adults"....

Don't you have to be 21 to serve liquor? Or is it different on a airplane? My next door neighbor owns a couple bars and he said you have to be 21 to serve liquor and 18 to serve beer.

Depending on the airline, the F/As serve unopened containers. At Eagle for example, we only handed the pax the beer can or liquor mini, unopened. At AA, in first class, we would open the container and pour the beer into a glass, or make a mixed drink in a glass and serve it made.

Obviously Eagle hired under 21 (I was 20) but I can't remember now how young AA hired.... I was 26 when I went through AA newhire school.

Same reason a chief pilot will tell a 21 yr old kid that at 700 hrs he is too low time and turn around and hire the 40 yr old career changer with less than half the time. Procedures you can teach. Maturity and judgement? Well that comes with time.The schools of hard knocks teaches these facts.

Btw, I am not for setting an age, but at 18 you definitely have something to prove.

That's not exactly true. In fact for entry level flying you're describing 350-700 hours, they would prefer to hire someone that is not going to complain which tend to be younger guys. I was in a ground school full of young guys and one old guy, guess who actually took a week off to take a family vacation during ground school?

Though I was "only" 20, I feel (and the airline obviously felt) I was mature enough for the job. Maturity is relative, and depends a LOT on the individual. I've met some very mature teenagers, and I've met some hideously immature "adults"....

Bingo...:clap:

Where do you live? Where I worked (Oklahoma) you only had to be 18 to serve open and 16 to serve closed containers. Bartending could be a different story. When I bartended, we were all at least 21.

All those alcohol rules are state by state. In fact (AFAIK) there is no federal drinking age, its just that if state has an age less than 21 they lose all highway funds, so every state that wants money for their roads has a drinking age of 21.

All those alcohol rules are state by state. In fact (AFAIK) there is no federal drinking age, its just that if state has an age less than 21 they lose all highway funds, so every state that wants money for their roads has a drinking age of 21.

I may be totally wrong but I do remember hearing that due to the fact we are airborne liquor laws get real tricky. I'm guessing that in the air some federal laws kick into affect and not any state one's. I'm guessing that the same has to do with an American airplane over in Germany. Any F/A's with international exp want to elaborate?

I'll have to dig through my old manuals but I seem to remember something about a liquor law and flying over the state of New Mexico... the details are sketchy in the brain at the moment but I'll pull out the book and review what's in there later.

Not trying to be rude here, but why would she waste her time and theirs applying for a position where she doesn't meet a basic requirement? :confused:
They asked for a MINIMUM(capitalized) 2 years CS or airline experience when I applied to be a gate agent. I had graduated highschool a week before I applied and had nothing but a 3 month CS internship at NZ under my belt. I got the job anyway when people who had 5+ years of CS experience didn't. In fact, to even do that internship you were supposed to be 18, but I slid through the cracks anyway. You never know.

I have found that airlines are VERY strict when it comes to their F/A age requirements. I have never heard of anyone getting hired if they do not meet the minimum age requirements.

Just wondering, besides any legal complications (In CA, one can serve alcohol at 18, but cannot make any mixed drinks [bartending] until 21) how can a company openly get away with age discrimination?

I know the government can openly discriminate, but how can a private company get away with?

While I agree that CS experience requirements may be flexible, I agree with Amber that age requirements are pretty steadfast.

I have found that airlines are VERY strict when it comes to their F/A age requirements. I have never heard of anyone getting hired if they do not meet the minimum age requirements.
I'll take your word for it then.

She's looking into Compass, I've got a lot of family in MSP so if she could end up based there she wouldn't need a crash pad.

Just wondering, besides any legal complications (In CA, one can serve alcohol at 18, but cannot make any mixed drinks [bartending] until 21) how can a company openly get away with age discrimination?

I know the government can openly discriminate, but how can a private company get away with?

It could depend on the state in which the airline "hires", state liquor laws, etc. Hiring under the age of 18 would not be practical in any aspect, dealing with kids still in high school, overnights and child labor laws.

Just my guess.

It could depend on the state in which the airline "hires", state liquor laws, etc. Hiring under the age of 18 would not be practical in any aspect, dealing with kids still in high school, overnights and child labor laws.

Just my guess.

Under 18 i can completely understand how it's not practical.

However, if the liquor laws are okay for an 18 year old to serve and do all required job duties, how can they dictate a higher age requirement?

And i know it's just your guess, i'm just still posing the question since that type of funny business would be illegal for me to do at my restaurant!

Just my guess.

I know at CHQ (back when it was just CHQ), it was based on the liquor laws of the state of the company's HDQ. There may have been other factors, but that was the biggie.

Back