AGAIN!!

Seems there is a pattern developing and it includes you, haha. Dont be so quick to put it off on the tower.

Try to remember that they have bad days too. There is a controller at the airport that I fly out that will go from zero to B at the drop of a callsign. I personally cannot wait for her to retire. She has to be getting there soon . (PLEASE GOD!) For the most part the rest of the controllers are really nice. If nothing else, ask for a tower visit and talk it over with the controller. That way, you are both on the same page. If they cannot accommodate you, then ask when can they and get to know them. The more I know the controllers the more willing they are to help you out. IMO.

But also try to be the best pilot/cfi that you can be for that controller too. Not all controllers have an understanding on how long it takes to run checklists, etc.

"Gateway Ground, N12345, unable taxi at this time."

If he presses the issue, say "I did not feel it was safe to taxi at this time due to traffic that was approaching, I am solely responsible for the safe operation of this aircraft, if you feel differently, please mark the tapes so we can discuss the meaning of FAR 91.3 at a later time."

That should get his attention, and if he says to call the tower, I would say, "Gladly, and when I'm calling, I'd like to speak with your supervisor."

You have every right to stop if you want, to turn around, and also to delay. You have to notify ATC as soon as practicable, if it was not yet possible to notify them before he started getting pissed, that's a lick on him. If safety is in question, then you can do exactly as you please.

Stick to your guns.

-pat

Great advice. At my airport we have a heavily used taxiway that normally involves opposite direction taxi at numerous points along the route.

Once upon a time, I was in the same situation this controller appeared to be in: opposite direction turnoffs. I issued an instruction, turned to issue some other instructions, came back to the first and the pilot didn't hadn't moved an inch. Because he didn't budge, the next aircraft couldn't get off the runway, there was another aircraft in position (waiting on him to exit) with yet another aircraft screaming down final, pretty close in.

I instructed the pilot "taxi to XX via XX." The pilot sat on the brakes. Despite my frustration with the situation, it was self-inflicted. His airplane, his safety, his right not to comply if he feels that there may be a problem. He said nothing (to me), I said nothing (to him). Had I said "taxi to XX via XX, the southbound jet will be turning down XX," he probably wouldn't have stopped moving. When I issued that very advisory his reply was "Thanks, we're moving." I omitted the advisory from the get-go because it was busy. Well, it's omission racheted up busy to a whole different level. Lesson learned. Now I issue it if there is any reason to believe any pilot involved will see it as a factor, and I've never had anyone sit on the brakes since.

I stated in another thread that adding in a quip of phraseology is more efficient than cleaning up a mess. Rings true for this situation as well.

I agree with most here, if all the details presented here are indeed correct, you have good reason to be upset. There's a difference between a possible deviation and exercising caution/your descretion as PIC. It's your butt/ticket on the line, do what you gotta do. That's not to say completely ignore ATC instructions, of course...that's where the descretion part comes in...you gotta cover ya own butt, because no one's perfect, controllers make mistakes too. That being said, i'm interested in what was said during the phone call...?

Just ask for a progressive taxi each time you operate there. And remember, the faa guidelines on a taxing the speed of a "brisk walk". :bandit:

Back