AGAIN!!

[YT]cofPH1y9vuw[/YT]

Listen to the plane that deliberately refused a takeoff clearance, I believe it's US 2998, they saved lots of lives. Tell your nasty controller to put that in his pipe and smoke it. :)

Your repeated pattern of ATC 'issues' is the problem.

I don't see a pattern and NO professional controller would simply ask a pilot to "go ahead and call me" because you were taxxing too slowly in close proximity to other traffic. Seems like the controller had third-party issues at the time.

The only legal instruction for a pilot to contact ANY facility would be prescribed phraseology.

This is rediculous and I pitty the foo.

Call the ATM and request a review of the tape. You may also try to get yourself a copy of that portion of the recording; inquire through the ATM and they should forward you to the FOIA agency.

Might I suggest getting out of Phoenix and instructing somewhere where the controllers are actually busy and not pretending you are some wrench in their plans. That area always struck me as a bunch of people who think their airspace is some sort of busy area. It's not really that hard to control an area with only one airline airport with departures/arrivals from 4 cardinal directions. I always found LA to be busier then PHX but the controllers there are professional, and they don't act like fools. Sounds like your guys are just that.

I hate to get OT about this, but since two separate people have done the same.... it is "ridiculous". It may sound like there is an "e" in there, but there isn't. :)

Alright.... off the box.

I swear this one guy in ATC hates me!! I've only been out of KIWA for 2 weeks and I have had to call the tower twice to talk to the same guy?? Am I really that bad of a pilot?? Ha! Today I got cleared to taxi via Yankee and Hotel back to the ramp. Well when I look up I see an aircraft coming toward me on the same taxiway. So I stopped and held, I was a second away from keeing on the mic to see if they were to hold for me or if I was to hold for them?? I've been in situations before where ground got busy and didn't notice that there were two aircraft coming together on the taxiway. (Especially at KFFZ.) Well before i got to say anything the ground controller comes on the radio yelling at me!! "N12345 if I tell you to taxi you better start rolling, now stop and hold for traffic if you are not going to go!!!" WOW!! So I told him that I would hold for traffic. Then he told me to call the tower when I shut down. Oh great not again!! This is just so frustrating to me and makes me scared to do anything at this airport, I cannot believe how he yelled at me like that over the radio. That was definitly not neccessary!! If I am pilot in command of my aircraft and I see an aircraft taxing toward me and I have not been made aware if they will be holding for me or not, then I am going to hold and confirm that they will be holding.

Sorry I needed to vent that!!!

"Gateway Ground, N12345, unable taxi at this time."

If he presses the issue, say "I did not feel it was safe to taxi at this time due to traffic that was approaching, I am solely responsible for the safe operation of this aircraft, if you feel differently, please mark the tapes so we can discuss the meaning of FAR 91.3 at a later time."

That should get his attention, and if he says to call the tower, I would say, "Gladly, and when I'm calling, I'd like to speak with your supervisor."

You have every right to stop if you want, to turn around, and also to delay. You have to notify ATC as soon as practicable, if it was not yet possible to notify them before he started getting pissed, that's a lick on him. If safety is in question, then you can do exactly as you please.

Stick to your guns.

-pat

Reminds me of a time I was flying into CRG airport. We were in a MU-2 and were on final but the tower controller was so busy berating some training aircraft traffic about something that he never gave us our clearance to land nor was I able to get a word in edgewise to ask for it so we ended up going around. That got his attention and he asked us what was the matter and I was sooo angry I just unloaded on him something like this:
'Whats the matter? How about you're so busy with your unprofessional berating of a student pilot you neglected to give us our landing clearance and your congestion of the frequency essentially constituted a NORDO situation where we were unable to request one so we were forced to go around. Please mark the tapes, I think we need to have a chat with you and your supervisor when we land.'

How long do they keep tapes for? Actually thinking about it it would almost be worth it to FOIA that particular exchange and post it online.

I wasn't deviating anything I was just holding to see what traffic was going to do and I was about to ask ground if that traffic was going to hold for me. I just think he wanted me to call to clarify what happened and chew me out some more. I just okay said mmhmm alright will do. I mean what else am I supposed to do? Argue with him??

Just key up and say "Did I used to be married to you?!" You did the right thing in stopping if he had not already told you the other guy was giving way. As controllers, we do make mistakes, and I would rather a pilot question me than blindly follow my instructions into an incident or accident.

Chris

I've never actually had to request tapes before (our ASAP guys do that for us) but does it take an FOIA request to get tapes?

[YT]cofPH1y9vuw[/YT]

Listen to the plane that deliberately refused a takeoff clearance, I believe it's US 2998, they saved lots of lives. Tell your nasty controller to put that in his pipe and smoke it. :)

She's a sup now....go figure welcome to the FAA

I don't know if it's changed, but Willie Tower used to be one of the nicest facilities I've ever worked with. I agree in general about contract towers, but not in this case. Granted, that was 4 years ago, so they could very well have changed.
I was at Willie, or Gateway, Tower from 04-06 and I felt like most of us treated the pilots with respect and had a great working relationship with them. Has this changed? Or just this one guy? I know exactly who she is talking about. I think i'm gonna give him a call in the next few days and remind him what a professional is.

Back