AFRES or ANG to become a pilot?Advice?

@inspiringpilot96,

It is easy to see why you are attracted to the timeline you are fantasizing about, it solves all your problems and satisfies all your desires. In your scenario, somebody else pays for your education that you plan on pursuing at a leisurely pace, somebody pays for your flight training, somebody gets you to commercial hiring mins. Somebody let's you fly the airframe of your choosing. Somebody doesn't mind you selfishly using their organization as a stepping stone to an airline career.

You have described a timeline that borders on the impossible for a twenty year old that hasn't started college and plans on wrapping up a four year degree in six years. It appears that you are drawing too much inspiration from college graduates that are giving the ANG/AFR options a shot.

What's left? In order to fly for a major or find your way into a military pilot's seat, you need a four year degree. Pursue that aggressively and you've increased your odds and options.

Good luck.
Gee I don't know why you sound so bitter. Did you not make it?

30 might be the cut off, but it is a fact Res/Guard pointy nose units are more desirable by some, so even with rumor of age waivers given by NGB, RES you will need some luck to get looked at past 28. I know of one unit that uses 27 as the cutoff for interviews. Also interviews are possible once you have 90 credit hours.

Can't speak for the fighter world, but the ANG and AFRC C-130 community is hiring off the street new pilots like crazy. Manning is a big issue for ANG and AFRC units right now with a lot of the older pilots returning to the airlines. It's a great gig if you already have your degree. If you don't then you could still join as a enlisted troop, finish your degree online, then ask for a UPT slot. If you don't want to turn wrenches as an enlisted maintenance guy then apply for a loadmaster or flight engineer job. You won't regret it. I've flown with a lot of pilots in the ANG who were prior enlisted in their units. As long as you're a good guy and get your degree you won't have an issue getting a pilot slot in today's hiring environment. Good luck!

Can't speak for the fighter world, but the ANG and AFRC C-130 community is hiring off the street new pilots like crazy. Manning is a big issue for ANG and AFRC units right now with a lot of the older pilots returning to the airlines. It's a great gig if you already have your degree. If you don't then you could still join as a enlisted troop, finish your degree online, then ask for a UPT slot. If you don't want to turn wrenches as an enlisted maintenance guy then apply for a loadmaster or flight engineer job. You won't regret it. I've flown with a lot of pilots in the ANG who were prior enlisted in their units. As long as you're a good guy and get your degree you won't have an issue getting a pilot slot in today's hiring environment. Good luck!

Same for AMC from what I have seen and heard.

It's a great time for anyone wanting to get into the profession! The generals have already said that they want to increase new pilot production from 1100-1400 a year. I'm sure that will open up even more opportunities for off the street folks. Combine that with major airline hiring increasing even more as the retirements pick up which will suck away more military pilots. Timing is everything and there couldn't be a better window of opportunity for new guys.

It's a great time for anyone wanting to get into the profession! The generals have already said that they want to increase new pilot production from 1100-1400 a year. I'm sure that will open up even more opportunities for off the street folks. Combine that with major airline hiring increasing even more as the retirements pick up which will suck away more military pilots. Timing is everything and there couldn't be a better window of opportunity for new guys.

Thanks for the replies. I actually just enlisted a 2 days ago into the 192d fw as aircraft armament systems. It sucks that I have yet to start college and can't now that I have enlisted. I'm worried about age as I will be probably around thirty years old by the time I get my bachelors.

Thanks for the replies. I actually just enlisted a 2 days ago into the 192d fw as aircraft armament systems. It sucks that I have yet to start college and can't now that I have enlisted. I'm worried about age as I will be probably around thirty years old by the time I get my bachelors.
Congrats on enlisting! Once you finish basic and tech school you can knock out your CCAF (community college of the air force) associates degree real fast by taking a couple free CLEP tests and just 1 or 2 real classes. The AF then has a program through the education office where they partner with 4yr colleges and transfer all your CCAF credits so you only have to get about 40-60 more credits to get your 4yr degree. You can use free tuition assistance to pay for the classes and save your GI bill. If you're 20 now you can easily be done for barely any money by 24ish. Plenty of time to establish your good name at your unit and seek out an OTS/UPT slot. I wouldn't sweat it...just work hard and suck it up for a few years. When you've achieved your dream and have a multi-million dollar career you'll look back and say it was worth the pain.

Keep your eyes on the prize. You have chosen a difficult path. Keep all the balls in the air. Study hard, make good grades, get that degree as fast as possible. Kick ass in your unit. Do your job enthusiastically, competently, and with a smile.

Here's the tough part. Maintain your privacy. Be friendly but avoid relationships in your unit. You are known by the company you keep. Avoid being the subject of lurid stories. Be cool two-beer guy. Socialize and get your butt home and study.

Don't be stupid. Don't get a DUI or public intoxication charge. Meet a crazy chick, run. Crazy can mean an undeserved domestic violence charge.

It sucks that I have yet to start college and can't now that I have enlisted.
http://www.airuniversity.af.mil/
Barnes Center for Enlisted Education
The Thomas N. Barnes Center for Enlisted Education discharges Air University's responsibility for the education of enlisted leaders throughout the Air Force.
Community College of the Air Force
The Community College of the Air Force is a federally-chartered degree-granting institution that serves the United States Air Force's enlisted total force.
Air Force Career Development Academy
The Air Force Career Development Academy (AFCDA) manages all facets of curriculum development and delivery for enlisted upgrade training materials.
Airman Leadership School
Airman Leadership School (ALS) is the first level of the Enlisted Professional Military Education continuum and prepares senior Airmen to be professional, war-fighting Airmen who can supervise and lead Air Force work teams.

Noncommissioned Officer Academy
The Noncommissioned Officer Academy (NCOA) is the second level of enlisted PME and prepares technical sergeants to be professional, war-fighting Airmen who can manage and lead Air Force units in the employment of airpower.

Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
The Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy (AFSNCOA) is the third level of enlisted PME. AFSNCOA prepares senior NCOs to lead the enlisted force in the employment of airpower in support of US national security objectives.

Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course
The CLC is the capstone and pinnacle level of Enlisted Professional Military Education. The USAF CLC mission is to provide Chief Master Sergeants the education to bridge operational-to-strategic perspectives of the Air Force.
USAF First Sergeant Academy
The USAF First Sergeant Academy mission is to develop, through education and training, selected senior noncommissioned officers to serve as advisors to commanders on issues that impact our Airmen in successfully accomplishing the Air Force mission.

Air Force Enlisted Heritage Research Institute
The AFEHRI’s mission is to educate and motivate visitors by researching, preserving, and showcasing to the world our Air Force enlisted history, heritage, and their resulting contributions to air power.

Enlisted Professional Military Education Instructor Course
EPMEIC teaches methodologies that are very specific to EPME and is considered the “gateway” for an EPME instructor.

Back