At the south end of the bay, NUQ

It was a cool place to hang out as a kid, my dad was VP-47 so we got to go inside most of the hangars and inside the wind tunnel. Good memories

Yeah my old man was also stationed there for a while, long before me, flying P2Vs. I do remember going to the NAS as a kid with him, I imagine shortly before it was closed. The blimp hangar is pretty much what stands out in my memory. Cool place. I got to revisit it a number of years ago for some Navy and industry symposium that was trying to leverage tech to solve aircrew problems. What stands out in that memory is how spectacularly douchey the industry/tech people were when we all had a night out on the town in Mountain View.

Public trails actually let you walk very damn close to the 14s, a girl brought me out there to forage for fennel in the middle of the night recently. I never knew. LOL.

A very, very dead airport these days most of the time, but the traffic NUQ does get is often very cool. You can count on An-124s and the Super Guppy a few times each year, plus often Air Force One and lots of assorted military stuff headed to/from the Pacific stopping in.

I flew in quite a few times when I worked 135 flights in the Bay Area. The dodgy Napa based 135 acquired a beat up old Citation, 560JM. Apparently Joe Montana's old airplane. I came with an organ donor contract. Of course management was all to happy to have an opportunity to have all of our aircraft flying through the night. Needless to say, our 24/7 on call issues got a lot worse when we were regularly asked to fly all night. One of the only good things about it was that we flew into NUQ because it was closest to Stanford Medical Center.

It was cool when flying into NUQ. Once I was standing on the ramp after dropping off an organ donor team that was going to Stanford. The really big Russian transport airplane with 6 engines was there and they were loading something into it with tarps blocking the view of what was being loaded. I asked someone at the FBO what was going on and they were hilarious. "God damn Bill Clinton sold the god damn Chinese these satellites!" This was another one of those blank stare shrug moments for me but still pretty interesting.

I think there is a PJ squadron that is still there. I used to surf with one of the PJs. Interesting guy.

He was "foraging for fennel in the middle of the night". Duh!
That is actually exactly what was happening. That and letting an unlicensed girl from China drive my car around like a nervous wreck because she wanted to. Interesting night. I don't say "no" to much, makes for better stories which is pretty much all we'll be remembered for one day anyway.

That is actually exactly what was happening. That and letting an unlicensed girl from China drive my car around like a nervous wreck because she wanted to. Interesting night. I don't say "no" to much, makes for better stories which is pretty much all we'll be remembered for one day anyway.

No need to explain, my dude. You have given me a whole new pitch line to the missus.

No need to explain, my dude. You have given me a whole new pitch line to the missus.

She be like….

ZEBxqIA.jpg

WAT?!

Back