Aerial Cremation...question for a commercial pilot?

ILSstud

Hey everyone...my sister approached me with something and I wanted to see if it is doable. A good friend of her and my dad passed away last week and her husband would like to spread her ashes over the ocean from a plane. My sis approached me and asked if it is something I would be willing to do (I would be compensated for the operating costs, and I am a commercial pilot). I see services online for this kind of thing so I don't see why it would be a problem? Is there anything I need to know, aside from using a device to prevent the ashes from blowing into the cabin?

Thanks a lot...I really want to be there for this gentleman but I also want to make sure I am playing safe and legal.

I'm not sure if that would be legal. I just took my checkride and the examiner was explaining it to me. The way he said it was that if you're going and renting an aircraft and flying it as well, It looks like you're being paid to secure an aircraft as well as fly, So it wouldn't be considered private carriage. just my .02 I could be off though.

Then I wouldn't see any problem with it. I don't know if that counts as dropping an "object" from an airplane, but even that's ok so long as you take caution to avoid damage to things on the ground, forget the actual FAR.

What if I didn't accept any payment?

Technically flight time is considered compensation in the FAA's eyes in a lot of scenarios. Unfortunately I think it will likely be against a few regs to do this if it involves you renting the airplane. Also, I doubt you'll find many rentals that would be ok with you dropping ashes out of their airplanes. If it was your airplane or you were flying an individuals you could probably find a way to do this without breaking regs.

That's what I figured...I'll ask my FBO, sure they'll say no, but one of my friend's is chief instructor maybe that will help. Thanks for the quick replies guys!

My instructor did this very same scenario. Not sure if he was compensated or anything like that, but he did mention that this was about the only time a chandelle was practical.

So I guess if you're going to do it...a chandelle works like a charm for spreading ashes.

As for the compensation part, I guess that's up to you, God, and the FAA. :)

My instructor did this very same scenario. Not sure if he was compensated or anything like that, but he did mention that this was about the only time a chandelle was practical.

So I guess if you're going to do it...a chandelle works like a charm for spreading ashes.

Great to know...not to detract from the sadness of this event, but the engineer in me is formulating in my head some sort of device to keep the ashes from coming inside the cabin!

wait, they're different? damn... could've fooled me :sarcasm::laff:

Great to know...not to detract from the sadness of this event, but the engineer in me is formulating in my head some sort of device to keep the ashes from coming inside the cabin!

Honestly if it were me I would probably do some kind of test run before having the family in there.

I know it's a sad event for you as well, but I would just want to make sure everything went according to plan.

She mentioned...the family will be down on the beach with flowers...and at a pre-set time I'll fly over and they will say a prayer...my sister will be up with me and facilitate ...assuming this works out.

She mentioned...the family will be down on the beach with flowers...and at a pre-set time I'll fly over and they will say a prayer...my sister will be up with me and facilitate ...assuming this works out.

Sounds like a great way to honor a loved one! Hope everything works out great for you and your family!

F the FAA ... remain 500' above all objects/people and just do it. If you're worried about the compensation part, just let them buy you lunch.

Bags are a bad idea, see if you can find a cardboard poster tube that you can hang out of the door and poor the ashes through. If you don't do that, there's a good chance that you'll fill the cockpit with ash and taste a part of grandmother. Trust me, its just as traumatic to the loved ones as it is to you. At my old job we had a pilot come back covered from head to toe with ash, and a very disgusted look on the faces of the equally ashed up pax. I had a similar situation when myself and my uncle practically desicrated the remains of my grandmother trying to drop her over her favorite patch of blueberries. Needless to say, though I know she would have laughed about it, it still bothers me in a way.

Bags are a bad idea, see if you can find a cardboard poster tube that you can hang out of the door and poor the ashes through. If you don't do that, there's a good chance that you'll fill the cockpit with ash and taste a part of grandmother. Trust me, its just as traumatic to the loved ones as it is to you. At my old job we had a pilot come back covered from head to toe with ash, and a very disgusted look on the faces of the equally ashed up pax. I had a similar situation when myself and my uncle practically desicrated the remains of my grandmother trying to drop her over her favorite patch of blueberries. Needless to say, though I know she would have laughed about it, it still bothers me in a way.

That is exactly what I was thinking....a tube like that....

Back