advantage to getting ATP before going to airline

pierre

Is there any reason to take the ATP in a light twin before trying to get on with an airline? If one has the time for the ATP cert would it just be a waste of money to get it and then join an airline, assuming having the cert already did not affect getting hired? Just trying to justify the money to take a checkride in an airplane I am very current in as opposed to getting it along with the type rating

The only real reason is if the airline you want to go to requires it. Otherwise, let the company you work for pay for it.

will it be any harder to take the initial checkride in the sim? anyone who has done this can remark? will new rules taking effect factor in to this at all?

will it be any harder to take the initial checkride in the sim? anyone who has done this can remark? will new rules taking effect factor in to this at all?
The check rides will be the same if you have an ATP or not. Technically there are differences between a type and an ATP, but each airline has a scripted check ride, or at least a list of events that must be completed, and this will cover the ATP Reqs

In response to the third question, yes because the new rules require you have an ATP to sit behind the controls.
Meet all of the requirements in the current regulations, successfully complete a new ATP Certification Training Program before taking the ATP knowledge test, and have a minimum of 50 hours in class of airplane.
Be at least 21 years old, hold a commercial pilot certificate with in- strument rating, successfully complete a new ATP Certification Training Program, pass ATP knowledge and practical tests, and for military pilots, have a minimum of 750 hours total time as a pilot, or for a graduate of an aviation degree program, have a minimum of 1,000 hours total time as a pilot.
Hold an ATP certificate with appropriate aircraft type rating
OR
Hold an ATP certificate with restricted privileges and an appropriate
aircraft type rating.
Meet all of the requirements in the current regulations and have a
minimum of 1,000 flight hours in air carrier operations (as an SIC in part 121 operations, a PIC in operations under either § 135.243(a)(1) or § 91.1053(a)(2)(i), or any combination thereof).

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120-AJ67NPRM.pdf

If a regional airline is your goal at this point, let them pay for it. If you want to do anything beyond entry level 135 or 91, you'll need it as well, but you might be able to get an employer to pay for it going that route as well.

If you see getting a type rating anywhere in the near future, then just wait and do it then.

If you are going to be flying light airplanes for the foreseeable future and you have the times, then get your ATP ASAP before the requirements change.

At least finish the knowledge test. (That is if you forecast you'll upgrade to captain within the 24 cal months of successfully completing the exam). A buddy of mine at a regional got bumped down for his "projected" upgrade, got furloughed and thankfully he let me know 2 months prior. We did some training, called the DPE and he took the ATP ride in a light twin to get it out of the way.

Edit: If you're active 121/135 no expiration... forgot about that disregard. Still take the exam if you haven't yet!

Take the written and go from there. I looked into going to ATP and knocking the rating out in a weekend, but opted to have my current employer pay for it.

Biggest difference is if you're taking your CA sim ride at the same time as your ATP check, and you fail a maneuver, there is no second chance. If you already have your ATP, then if you fail an aspect of the CA sim you just try it again.

On the flip side, I took the ATP ride to try and make myself more attractive for hiring. Misread the chart and screwed up the hold and that was my third checkride failure. At that point about half the regionals wouldn't even look at me.

On the flip side, I took the ATP ride to try and make myself more attractive for hiring. Misread the chart and screwed up the hold and that was my third checkride failure. At that point about half the regionals wouldn't even look at me.
Not to bust your balls in particular, but unless you have well above the standard number of checkrides for seaplane, glider, helo, etc etc and assume that you went:

private ASEL
instrument
commercial ASEL
AMEL
CFI
CFII
MEI
ATP

that's only passing 5 out of 8 rides on the first time - and that's the only indication they have of you as a pilot at that time...

Not to bust your balls in particular, but unless you have well above the standard number of checkrides for seaplane, glider, helo, etc etc and assume that you went:

private ASEL
instrument
commercial ASEL
AMEL
CFI
CFII
MEI
ATP

that's only passing 5 out of 8 rides on the first time - and that's the only indication they have of you as a pilot at that time...

I've got a couple more, but you have a valid point, that's why I'm letting him know.

at RAH, you get the ATP with PIC type during recurrent...IF you alread have an ATP...you do not get the PIC type rating

The only minor consideration is having a circling restriction on your ATP due to most airlines' policies concerning circling in VMC only. That being said, it would get removed the minute you pass a type ride in a training program that includes IMC circling.

As for RAH, can anyone confirm that it's an A/ERJ-170 and not a C/ERJ-170 that's awarded on recurrents? I've seen a lot of regionals stamp a "Commercial Privileges" on the "PIC" type while simultaneously issuing an ATP. Just curious if RAH does the same.

Back