advantage to getting ATP before going to airline

You're correct Morris. If you bust it's 2 pink slips. One for the ATP and one for the type.

IMO getting your ATP as part your first part 121 training event, in a very advanced aircraft like a jet, is playing with fire.

I haven't seen an airline application yet that doesn't ask if you have any part 121 failures.

All these low time guys with SJS and no 121 experience need to realize that if they bust out of a 121 training program it may be tough getting hired anywhere else for a while. At least until airlines are REALLY desperate. I don't care how good you are with MS flight simulator, flying an advanced jet for your first real aircraft is not a cake walk.

So it sounds like you are recommending getting the ATP done before going to the airlines, is that correct?

I don't really mind getting it done prior to starting with the airlines, I'm just trying to decide if there is any benefit of getting it prior to going anywhere....

If the airline is AQP I wouldn't worry. If not... Well I still wouldn't do it but it could be trickier.
I got my ATP this last recurrent cycle. The footprint is exactly the same as any other AQP recurrent training cycle (SPOT maneuvers, maneuvers validation, line operational evaluation, SPOT LOFT). I was a little psyched up about doing so, but meh. A bunch of my classmates did it on their initial AQP and we had no failures.

It seems obvious, but: Most airlines don't want you to fail, since they've spent the money to get you that far.

Not worth it unless it is required for the position. Why pay for it when it will be part of your initial training? Plus i would bet a fail is more likely on a piston twin with an unknown DPE than after a 2 week systems course and minimum of eight 4 hr SIM sessions and checkride with an airline APD.

At my company, I got a full PIC type rating on my commercial certificate. August 4th I was back at the training center. I had the exact same oral, exactly the same check ride, and got my ATP, with no restrictions. Company paid for the ride, and paid me to do it. I would just let them take care of it. Did the circle to land on both check rides, so never had that limitation. I'm glad I let them take care of it.

I picked up my ATP in a piston twin, in order to attempt to make myself more marketable to get back into fixed wing flying. I really believe it was a big help in getting me out of the blimp gig and into what I'm in now. Granted, it was a unique case.

My job at the time paid for my ATP SEL. I was doing a 135 initial in an A36 so I figured I'd do both at once. I got bored and did the ATP MEL on my own. I did have a airplane to use though. I wanted to do the checkride in my dad's Travelair since I practically grew up in the back seat of the thing. I just thought it would be cool to go from flying it before I could see over the panel or reach the pedals to my ATP in it.

One consideration is your times and qualifications. If you spent too much time racking up hours and never take the time to get your ATP (or at least the written done) some might look at that as a lack of motivation. For others, it can be a insurance requirement. The way I look at it is, why would you not want to have every box checked you possibly could? Don't give anyone one a reason not to hire you.

If you pass the written and 23 months down the road you don't see your self in a position where you'll get the checkride, go rent a 172RG or an Arrow and get the ATP SEL. That will stop the written, and for the ATP MEL you will still have to do the full blown check ride for where ever you end up working. That won't limit your chance of getting the PIC type sooner if you start flying for an airline.

Back