advantage to getting ATP before going to airline

CFIT,

Is it a more difficult checkride if you ARE getting the PIC type? I'm not trying to be lazy and choose the easiest way out, but we all know a checkride failure is damaging and I'm wondering if having it already makes it easier to get through the airlines checkride,

CFIT,

Is it a more difficult checkride if you ARE getting the PIC type? I'm not trying to be lazy and choose the easiest way out, but we all know a checkride failure is damaging and I'm wondering if having it already makes it easier to get through the airlines checkride,

A PIC type, and an ATP ride are the exact same ride. Every recurrent PIC type is essentially an ATP ride.

The only minor consideration is having a circling restriction on your ATP due to most airlines' policies concerning circling in VMC only. That being said, it would get removed the minute you pass a type ride in a training program that includes IMC circling.

As for RAH, can anyone confirm that it's an A/ERJ-170 and not a C/ERJ-170 that's awarded on recurrents? I've seen a lot of regionals stamp a "Commercial Privileges" on the "PIC" type while simultaneously issuing an ATP. Just curious if RAH does the same.

Not to be overly sensitive, but the restriction would go on your type rating, not the ATP.

Wow $3,500 for an ATP and a PIC type rating in a jet? Where do you get that deal?
you dont need to get your ATP in a jet to have the rating, and when it comes down to it it's the rating that you put on the resume, not the type you got it in....

Not to be overly sensitive, but the restriction would go on your type rating, not the ATP.

It will go on both your type and ATP if you didn't demonstrate a circle during your practical test.

EG:

ATP CIRC. APCH. - VMC ONLY.
CL-65 CIRC. APCH. - VMC ONLY.

you dont need to get your ATP in a jet to have the rating, and when it comes down to it it's the rating that you put on the resume, not the type you got it in....

Really? So Southwest doesn't care about guys typed in the 737, just that they have an ATP right?

No, i'd wager to say 99.999% of people getting hired at SW have previous jet time. Of course there will be some 121 large turbo prop drivers, but you get the point.

Biggest difference is if you're taking your CA sim ride at the same time as your ATP check, and you fail a maneuver, there is no second chance. If you already have your ATP, then if you fail an aspect of the CA sim you just try it again.

For the reason described above, I'm thinking of getting my ATP done before going to the airlines.
Is having an ATP rating at the time of the initial checkride making any difference in case of failing an aspect of the initial sim?

For the reason described above, I'm thinking of getting my ATP done before going to the airlines.
Is having an ATP rating at the time of the initial checkride making any difference in case of failing an aspect of the initial sim?
Not really. Most people fail on VFR maneuvers though; if your airline uses AQP it will be nicer because they are training only even on the ATP ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Not really. Most people fail on VFR maneuvers though; if your airline uses AQP it will be nicer because they are training only even on the ATP ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for your response.

Does anyone know if Expressjet or Skywest is using AQP?

Really? So Southwest doesn't care about guys typed in the 737, just that they have an ATP right?

I see your point...ATP or ATP with E-170/190 PIC type...essentially we got (depending on who you ask) a $15-25,000 Type...for free

CFIT,

Its not really advantageous unless your doing the ATP in a jet because a Seminole or Seneca is still a far cry from a E-145 or E-170. Not saying which is easier or harder, just that they're different, so getting the ATP won't help much in a light twin.

Its not really advantageous unless your doing the ATP in a jet because a Seminole or Seneca is still a far cry from a E-145 or E-170. Not saying which is easier or harder, just that they're different, so getting the ATP won't help much in a light twin.
Correct me if I'm wrong. If you fail your check ride, doesn't it count as two failures? Meaning you failed the type as well as the ATP. I could totally be wrong but that's how my mind is thinking about this situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If you fail your check ride, doesn't it count as two failures? Meaning you failed the type as well as the ATP. I could totally be wrong but that's how my mind is thinking about this situation.

No idea, but probably... Actually now that I think about it I remember reading a memo saying that a possible outcome is busting the ATP portion but passing it as a PC. This is because on a reg PC the CKA can retrain on up to 2 unsat events. The ATP is pass/fail period. Not sure if you can "bust" an ATP ride and pass a PIC type since the standards should be the same.

But I don't care too much. I was a first time "go." :)

You're correct Morris. If you bust it's 2 pink slips. One for the ATP and one for the type.

IMO getting your ATP as part your first part 121 training event, in a very advanced aircraft like a jet, is playing with fire.

I haven't seen an airline application yet that doesn't ask if you have any part 121 failures.

All these low time guys with SJS and no 121 experience need to realize that if they bust out of a 121 training program it may be tough getting hired anywhere else for a while. At least until airlines are REALLY desperate. I don't care how good you are with MS flight simulator, flying an advanced jet for your first real aircraft is not a cake walk.

Back