Actual!!

Minnesota_Flyer

Had my first actual IFR this morning!! 1.0 hours! Woohoo! Even picked up a little light rime for ICEing on the cake. Definitely different than flying under the hood.

MF

Grats, I just had my first IFR flight without an instructor into actual today too....little can beat the feelings of flying into and exiting a cloud layer
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Had my first actual IFR this morning!! 1.0 hours! Woohoo! Even picked up a little light rime for ICEing on the cake. Definitely different than flying under the hood.

MF

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice, MF.

I drove past KFCM this morning on my way to work and saw the old rotating beacon on - thought to myself it'll be a good day for some actual. Did you fly out of KMIC?

Yeah, it was KMIC to KSTC (ILS31), and then back (with an instructor). We were going to shoot the NDB at Princeton as well, but we were picking up some light rime so decided heading straight back to KMIC was the better idea.

It takes a lot more focus to keep the plane upright in the clouds than it does under the hood!

MF

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it was KMIC to KSTC (ILS31), and then back (with an instructor).

[/ QUOTE ]

KSTC is towered now isn't it? Is it now Class-D airspace?

[ QUOTE ]
It takes a lot more focus to keep the plane upright in the clouds than it does under the hood!

[/ QUOTE ]

You better believe it! Wait until you try night actual IFR.

KSTC's tower still isn't open. I'm not sure what the hold-up is (something about digital phone lines), but when I got my briefing this past weekend, the WX Briefer felt the need to tell me not only that CTAF was still being used (not 118.xx), but also what all of the new frequencies would be if the tower were open. I'm like, "dude, why do I care?" In my head.

insane.gif

MF

Rock on MF!!! Get as much as you can because, as you just found out, flying in "the soup" ain't NOTHIN' like flying with the hood on. You can't peek.
wink.gif

I got about 1.5 hours of actual yesterday. Shot three approaches (one missed, and one to no-sh*t minimums) and felt REALLY good about it afterwards.

Keep up the good work!!

R2F

Back