Academy Pay

ok, I asked this in another thread, but maybe I should have started here. Im a VRA, but not a former controller, meaning I separated from the service less than 3 years ago and hold a campaign metal, I was under the impression that this qualifies me to receive the 33,100 at the academy instead of the 17,046 but my TOL had the general public salary. I questioned this at the PEPC and was told to contact my HR person to have it corrected. She emailed me saying that since I applied to a general public announcement that is my salary. I dont think this is correct. those are the only announcements I can apply to since I am not a former controller, why would the FAA even separate the two catagories on their website if this were the case. I wanna email her back, but would like to have a reference from somewhere to prove Im right, any help...

AG: Initial hire pay grade. This is the pay grade that all off-the-street (OFTS) and Collegiate Training Initiative (CTI) students will be paid AFTER they graduate from the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City. Veteran Military controllers hired under the VRA program will begin this pay grade on the first day of class at the FAA Academy. All Academy students will receive per diem pay to help cover the cost of food and lodging while you are in Oklahoma City.

VRA is only for former military controllers, not just former military.

ok, I asked this in another thread, but maybe I should have started here. Im a VRA, but not a former controller, meaning I separated from the service less than 3 years ago and hold a campaign metal, I was under the impression that this qualifies me to receive the 33,100 at the academy instead of the 17,046 but my TOL had the general public salary. I questioned this at the PEPC and was told to contact my HR person to have it corrected. She emailed me saying that since I applied to a general public announcement that is my salary. I dont think this is correct. those are the only announcements I can apply to since I am not a former controller, why would the FAA even separate the two catagories on their website if this were the case. I wanna email her back, but would like to have a reference from somewhere to prove Im right, any help...

I believe VRA only applies to former military controllers. Since you're not a former controller, I believe you're paid what the rest of us OTS/CTI applicants would be getting. Even if you were eligible, I think you would have had to be hired from a VRA announcement to get the 33,100.

There is no such thing as OT or night differential at the academy.

Nevermind Found what I was looking for, took me a while but that search feature is great:nana2:

"well if you work an 8 hour shift on sunday that is basically 5% more

( 8 hrs * 25% premium = 2 hrs premium pay ; 2 hrs / 40 hrs = .05 )

also Night Shift Differential is 10% so say 16 of your hours qualify that would be another 4%. This would probably be about typical if you work at an ARTCC i was told you work 2 swings and one mid shift per week.

( 16 hrs * 10% premium = 1.6 hrs premium pay ; 1.6 hrs / 40 hrs = .04 )

So basically when your certified or whenever you start working all shifts as long as you work sunday then you will get about 9% more at a minimum

also if you averaged just one 8 hr OT per month that would be about an additional 7%.

That blows my mind for the guys topped out under the old rules making like 170 k base + locality then add like between 10 - 20 % for OT and Diffs. Some of these guys are grossing around 200k. Not too shabby. The Vice Prez got 212,208 in 07' I wonder if anyone made more than him?"

Note my Quote

And ATLTRACON said to plan on 15% on top of base and COLA for OT and Night Diff.

But yes no OT at the academy

I believe VRA only applies to former military controllers. Since you're not a former controller, I believe you're paid what the rest of us OTS/CTI applicants would be getting. Even if you were eligible, I think you would have had to be hired from a VRA announcement to get the 33,100.

I'm also a veteran and NOT a controller. Like chichi said, VRA is ONLY for veteran controllers. Non-controllers get veteran's preference points only, no pay raise.

Hey Yanker... I saw they are halting all training at DFW... does that include D10?

I dont know yet???:panic::confused: hahaha

Well from what all I have read, it talks about Tower not TRACON. And most of the errors were from CPC's. But working 6 day weeks for months now will wear you down. Still don't know about much about TRACON. Would not be surprised if they stop training for the busiest week in Aviation travel.

Personally I saw TRACON do something I have never seen before today. Usually they have distance as the primary space tool. Today they had us stacked up three tall on downwind going about 170-160 knots. We turned a 18 mile final, and I call traffic below us rolling final. And the controller said well that does not help much, there are 2 more out there too. Checked in with tower and was 4 to land, only saw 1.

unless they changed something you do get night differential. we got it when i was at the academy back in the summer.

Yeah I just found the article :whatever:

Did you see the on just posted... it's turning into a whole North Texas thing...

This week, ATSAP went active at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport tower, D/FW Terminal Radar Approach Control, Fort Worth Alliance, Fort Worth Meacham, Fort Worth Air Route Traffic Control Center, Addison tower and Dallas Love Field tower.

In January, ATSAP will be implemented in the Houston area, followed by Indianapolis, officials said.

The local program has already identified a possible issue with air traffic control at Fort Worth Meacham, prompting an investigation, said Darrell Meachum, Southwest region vice president for the National Air Traffic Controllers Association.

Yeah I just found the article :whatever:

Well I know the news said 10 times in 30 days?? Better make that 11 times in 31 days, Tonight an airline landed over top of another at DFW from what I heard from two captains. I don't know who it was (not a regular), but it was an American holding in position.

Did you see the on just posted... it's turning into a whole North Texas thing...

I suppose the both of us may be affected by this thing if that's the case.

In speaking to my father (retired controller, current trainer), these auditors have really been cracking down on the deals happening at different facilities. In previous years (and under a different administration), 4.7/4.8 miles = 5 for wake turbulence separation behind a heavy, and controllers weren't penalized for this. But it's been brutal to the point that my Dad said he recently saw a controller handed a deal for only having 4.96 miles of separation behind a heavy.

I don't see DFW just being penalized if this is really the case, and ultimately, controllers are just going to train more conservatively and allow more space for separation. Probably more than the minimum if their work is constantly scrutinized and operational errors are labeled, which translates into more delays happening on the ground and in the air.

Well I know the news said 10 times in 30 days?? Better make that 11 times in 31 days, Tonight an airline landed over top of another at DFW from what I heard from two captains. I don't know who it was (not a regular), but it was an American holding in position.

Take everything I wrote about above, in the quote:yeahthat:, I miss understood what they were saying. The Deal happened last year around this time.

unless they changed something you do get night differential. we got it when i was at the academy back in the summer.

From my experience, it depends on your facility re: night differential while you are at the academy. In my class, some people didn't receive night differential while there, although there were some other people who were receiving it.

I'm an OTS hiring, and my instructors have been saying that we do not get night pay here. And I just got my first full paycheck, and guess what, no night differential.

yeah our instructors said the same thing. I wasn't the only one in my class to get it but we are CTI... no clue

Back