Academy Pay

10.23 an hour for Los Angeles locality. Also it appears you get night differential but all i have heard says we don't get that while in training, not that I'm complaining about it

Isn't that a line from full metal jacket? One of my top 3 favs of all time!

It might be (I'm not up on my Vietnam phraseology), but to my knowledge "the suck" is any combat action that a MEU/MEF is involved in, or the nickname of said unit.

I got the line out of Jarhead (another Marine Corps movie). Number two on my favorites list. Full Metal Jacket, Jarhead, Top Gun.

Plus, the reason I call it the suck, my ATCT FAA ID is SCK, and since my acronyms are words minus the letters, so it was either Sack, Suck, Sock, Sick lol

It might be (I'm not up on my Vietnam phraseology), but to my knowledge "the suck" is any combat action that a MEU/MEF is involved in, or the nickname of said unit.

I got the line out of Jarhead (another Marine Corps movie). Number two on my favorites list. Full Metal Jacket, Jarhead, Top Gun.

Plus, the reason I call it the suck, my ATCT FAA ID is SCK, and since my acronyms are words minus the letters, so it was either Sack, Suck, Sock, Sick lol

thats funny bc I called it "Suck" too. Go down to SCK for the GPS, then off to MRY for some seafood and back to SAC. I remember going in there one day and the sun was inline with the runway. We had to go around bc the SUN was so bright we could not see the runway on the GPS @ MDA

thats funny bc I called it "Suck" too. Go down to SCK for the GPS, then off to MRY for some seafood and back to SAC. I remember going in there one day and the sun was inline with the runway. We had to go around bc the SUN was so bright we could not see the runway on the GPS @ MDA

Well, if you have been there/been in the city, you know why I call it SUCK. lol

WHAT? and what question did you answer?

Get you get shoot at flying into Stockton, lol.

The question was if you were shooting the ILS and flying out of the 141 school on the field, but you answered that, you where shooting the GPS and flying out of SAC.

To clear all this up VRAs actually only get the signing bonus if they have been controlling traffic for the past 52 consecutive weeks (VRA in my class missed the cut off by 6 weeks). The FAA is now MANDATING that if the place you are staying takes credit cards you MUST pay with the FAA credit card they provide you and you only recieve the $30 for food etc. (I suggest looking at craigslist.com prior to coming here, there are alot of people who have posts for FAA students explicitly and you usually stay in a better area than the FAA recomended housing and since private homeowners don't take credit cards you get the whole 80.4 in per diem)

Your wage doesn't include locality so says the FAA, so how reliable is that, but it works out to about $9.50 an hour so with me taking out for 5% TSP and benefits i make $525 per week not including per diem.

I hope this was helpful.

hey I'm not criticizing here I'm just curious since I start the Academy tomorrow and am planning finances... You said 525 per week after benefits and your savings plan. I thought it was a 40 hour work week which would equate to around 380 a week before taxes, TSP or benefits? Am I missing something?

Back