academy and costs, can't figure it out

JGriffis

academy and costs, can\'t figure it out

After all the research I could possibly do, I still can't figure out how ATP offers it's career pilot program for 35-40k including housing as opposed to all the other academies 50k all the way up to 100k? How does anyone else compete? I know that everyone else sort of has their niche, but doesn't seem to be worth tens of thousands more to me? Help, I can't figure it out!

Re: academy and costs, can\'t figure it out

ATP is only 90 days depending on the program. Those other schools can take a couple years to get through depending on their program. Oh yeah plus you get that airline interview when its all over.

When you think about it, $35,000+ is alot of money to pay for 90days worth of flying.

One reason why is that they pay their instructors for a quarter of the work they do. The instructors not only teach but run the office too, which is a huge undertaking IMO. They also work 12 hour days in some cases, so Im told.

Why does no one complain...1500 hrs tt and 800+ hrs multi in about a year and half to 2 years.

Another reason why is that ATP produces a high volume of students at the advertised price (that does not change) and at the advertised 90 days. The record is like 50 days or somthing, no BS. Just keeps em comin...

ATP is a good school, owned by airline pilots...all they did was just trim the fat.

Some may say I have a biased opinion becuase ATP is where Im headed!!!!

Yeah but what you get in 90 days there is very comparable with what you get in a year or year in a half at other places. The airline interview is ummm kind of sketchy. I would rather save 40k and try to schedule my own interview, and as i've heard time and time again on this site, Airlines don't care where you get your ratings.

They have to pay for all those nice, shiny folders with all the pictures of the pretty jets on them. Oh, and I guess all that BS cost a pretty penny too. That's why the 50-100k.

[ QUOTE ]
and as i've heard time and time again on this site, Airlines don't care where you get your ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't care. What does ATP offer that an FBO doesn't? Groundschool, classes?

Oh I wasn't comparing ATP with an FBO, but with all the other academies. ATP and all the FBOs around here are about the same price, but the multi-engine time in ATPs program blows them away.

I know one chief pilot who used to take resumes of people that did the bulk of their training at ATP or more importantly did their CFI training there (if they were looking for a CFI job), and threw them out with zero consideration. I can see why. Who wants to hire an instructor who banged out all three CFI ratings in 14 days?

[ QUOTE ]
When you think about it, $35,000+ is alot of money to pay for 90days worth of flying.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's all about the hours.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I banged out all three of my CFI ratings in six weeks. I seem to be doing fine.

"Who wants to hire an instructor who banged out all three CFI ratings in 14 days?"

I would. I'd evaluate each person based on their skills, attitude, and amount of experience. I could care less where they trained. I know a guy who got his CFI in a week in Nevada and a guy who went to UND. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and are equal in my view. The Nevada guy has 7 students now (nine months as a CFI) and charges $35 an hour as a free lancer.

Now...if someone was from Gulfstream or TAB express...there's a resume I'd toss.....

The problem is many chief pilots have a stack of applications and resumes for a handful of flying jobs. Much like the college degree requirement with major airlines, looking for the quickie CFI is just a simple way to shorten the stack. There is no doubt that good applicants will be in the tossed pile, but that is how the process sometimes works. Anyway this is just a single example where speed ratings might not pay off. Just sharing a personal experience and I can’t say I disagree with this person’s method.

What about the guy that works his butt off getting his CFI-CFII-MEI at an FBO in three months? Is that seen as a "quickie" or someone driven to get things accomplished?

[ QUOTE ]
I banged out all three of my CFI ratings in six weeks. I seem to be doing fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. Now imagine cutting the six weeks down to two weeks as ATP advertises. In my opinion that is massive difference.

[ QUOTE ]
What about the guy that works his butt off getting his CFI-CFII-MEI at an FBO in three months? Is that seen as a "quickie" or someone driven to get things accomplished?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again I am specifically referring to ATP's 14 day all three CFI ratings program. As an example one applicant had listed when he had received all of his different ratings. From the time that he had finished his multi/commercial ride to the time all three CFI’s were done only 16 days had passed and the applicant still had well under 300hrs. That folder hit the shredder pretty fast.

[ QUOTE ]
After all the research I could possibly do, I still can't figure out how ATP offers it's career pilot program for 35-40k including housing as opposed to all the other academies 50k all the way up to 100k? How does anyone else compete? I know that everyone else sort of has their niche, but doesn't seem to be worth tens of thousands more to me? Help, I can't figure it out!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at a 141 school that offers excellent instruction and very competitive twin time over the course of about 8 months (time frame for motivated, full-time students with average or better aptitude) and includes housing. When I signed up, the cost was $38,900. I think it might have gone up by a thousand or so for 2004, but it's still a great deal. And, to my knowledge, very, very few people go over the budget. They've been here for almost 50 years and under the current management since the 70's. I looked long and hard and couldn't be happier with my choice. The school fits me and my needs perfectly.

There are really good schools out there at very reasonable prices. You just have to look for them. Be persistant and you'll find what works best for you.

Good luck!

Do people really look at your ratings and qualifications and say "Sir how long did it take you to complete this". I wouldn't think so.

Sorry guys, but this is ridiculous. Nobody cares where you get your ratings or how long they took,,,,,that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Did I mention,,,,,,,,,NO ONE CARES!!!
shocked.gif
smile.gif

Hey Johhnyb... got a question. Do you think anybody will care how long it will take me to get my ratings and - OH - where I got them?

Your last post was a little vague and ambiguous.

wink.gif

You crack me up!
grin.gif

I just explained my experience with a particular chief pilot who did in fact care where people had trained. This was particularly true when looking at resumes of people looking for their first job. Granted if these people already had over 500hrs (the point at which it becomes easier to insure a pilot) then the training quality became substantially less important.

Is where you trained going to matter when you interview for the first regional or part 135 job and you already have 1500hrs? Probably not. Does it matter when you are fresh out of school with less than 300hrs looking for your first flying job in a flooded market? It can and I know of several other instances where it did.

Back