academy and costs, can't figure it out

Re: academy and costs, can\'t figure it out

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and Cime, I have a question for you: How is it that you or whoever you were talking about couldn't wait 2 years to get your ratings? What do you have to do that's so pressing? Especially in this market. Is it your age?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd kind of like to hear the answer to that one too.... not flaming anyone, just curious what the rush is.

Hell... I was 37 when I started my training. I'll be 39 in two months and hope to START instructing soon after that....so....I don't see why anyone else "couldn't" take two years to do their ratings.

Like I said - just curious to hear the answer.

I was just making an argument and posing another side of the coin as R2F did, that's all. I am in no way trying to get in a flame war or put down anybody's decisions or path towards the same goals. There are many ways to skin a cat.

In my case I did not NEED to go full-time to an academy but I have met a lot of older people on their second or third career who felt that they did. A second year is a lot for some people to sacrifice when their career clock is ticking.

In my specific case I had a job that paid very well but would definately not allow me to pursue flight training on the side. I simply had to be at work too much. Also there were only a couple of choices in my local area for flight training and there were a number of reasons I did not choose to go that route, the biggest of which was maintenance at one, and price at the other. So what I did was work a little bit longer and squirrel away my money so I could go full time and get the ratings out of the way quickly. "I" felt that was the best decision for ME and only me. I have been very pleased with it and would not change a thing. Everybody needs to come to their own conclusions for themselves.

In summary.....tailwinds and blue skies to all.

Now everybody stop flaming!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
In summary.....tailwinds and blue skies to all.

Now everybody stop flaming!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
What flames???
confused.gif

Yeah, what the hell are you talking about?????
smile.gif
No one is flaming here. Relax dude. There's a big difference between what you call flaming and people getting all crazy. Geezzz man. All I wanted was an answer to my question, which you didn't really have an answer for. That's all. It's all good.

Sorry guys...I wasn't mad, that last comment was tongue-in-cheek. Damn computers and their lack of tone
confused.gif

Yeah, I hear that. It's hard to convey tone so much of the time. That's why I don't like sending emotion provoking material in email form. People never know the tone in which it was intended.

I was mocking the "No, my way is the only way to do things and here's why your decision is crap" kind of people. I hope this is all cleared up now
wink.gif

I had a quick Q, does anyone know how DCA in Ft.lauderdale at Broward Community College is? And would it be a good idea to do something like ATP right out of High School and then go to college?
Sorry i cant answer your own post, just thought i ask.

Well i'm the one who started this post, but the answer to your question would be to get a degree first. There are several places where you can get a degree and your ratings first, just look around here. The degree has to come somewhere in there, or at least that is my opinion. If that's the case I would not consider ATP, although I am a big fan. Just look around, research, and find out what is perfect for you.

Well for me its an age thing, corporate downsizing has left me jobless, however a 20 week severance package will finance me through school, I need to get all my ratings done quickly, But on the other hand I am not starting from scratch, I have my Commercial helicopter ,Instrument helicopter and 2000 hrs tt. I hope to get all the FW in 20 weeks or less.And at my age the majors are probably not an option , but I could give a Regional quite a few good years.

[ QUOTE ]
"Who wants to hire an instructor who banged out all three CFI ratings in 14 days?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Got news for you. That pilots that can demonstrate an ability to quickly get with a complex program and successfully demonstrate proficiency are the pilot who will get hired by the airlines.

A newly hired FO is trained for about 6 weeks, to fly an aircraft and procedured he/she has never flown before. At the end of six weeks, he/she flies 50 passengers at night in turbulent IMC. You bet the airlines are looking for the pilots who learn quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
...I still can't figure out how ATP offers it's career pilot program for 35-40k including housing as opposed to all the other academies 50k all the way up to 100k? ...

[/ QUOTE ]

ATP has been tuning their business for 19 years. They run very efficiently.

Imagine having 60 piper seminoles flying about 50-100 hours/month each. Their maintence hubs would do 30-60 100-hours check every month. That's probably 5 engine replacement per month. Image how efficiently you'd be able to manage that fleet if you did this much volume. Then consider the negotiation power on buying planes, parts, fuel, insurance.

Housing? Apartments cost about $1000/month. Split between a few students for 3 months just isn't that much money. The value you get is in the multi-time. It's the only non-subjective metric. Add to that, their track record and ATP becomes a pretty good choice.

I also checked into ATP, in there package they state 190 hrs multi, however only 140 is in the A/C, the other 50 is sim time.you would still need more ME, and correct me if I am wrong, but if it's not a full motion sim , it does not count for anything other than training.

Clipper,

Simply my opinion that I've seen expressed by a few others on this board. I would go with the degree first, work on private if you don't already have it, maybe instrument while you get your degree.

If you get your ratings first, it will be harder IMO to still have that desire to go to school and get a degree, it's likely you'd be really excited about getting involved in the aviation industry while your ratings are fresh, and get into that timeline of working toward the airline.

Going to school afterward might make you rusty.

But if you can make it work, and want to make it work, it can happen . . . after all, we all agree on this board that individual situations require individual plans and courses of action.

I think the difference between ATP and the Big Academies (Or at least FSI, the only one I have experience with) can be likened to the difference between a community college and a big name 4 year institution. You can get a degree at both, but the larger school with the residential campus probably provides a better education.

A motivated student can learn quite alot of material on their own, but this is not really a substitute for a thorough education. Even if you read the material there is the matter of actually being able to understand and apply it. It is the job of the instructors to ensure that the student has a good understanding of the required material. There is more to it than reading the Gleim and passing the wittens. At FSI you will spend about 9 weeks in groundschool to go from Private through your Commercial Multi-Engine and CFI. This does not count about 1 week of CRM training and a Spin brief. During some of the groundschools you can fly, it just depends on what stage of training you are in. CFI groundschool alone takes about one month. I do not really see how you can argue that getting all 3 CFI ratings in 10 days can compare to this.

[ QUOTE ]
The value you get is in the multi-time. It's the only non-subjective metric

[/ QUOTE ]

Mabye college is overated. I have a degree and still have no idea what this means......
tongue.gif

I felt like my degree was just an endurance test...I think that about all it means, but it shows someone that you can develop study habits and constantly learn new things.

I'm so through with this thread....
grin.gif

Maybe not...I keep comming back to it!!!!
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I had a quick Q, does anyone know how DCA in Ft.lauderdale at Broward Community College is? And would it be a good idea to do something like ATP right out of High School and then go to college?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you've got the good grades and class rank, why go to a community college? If its the cost, get FA or a scholarship. I'm not saying go private, but don't sacrifice academia just to be able to get ratings.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you've got the good grades and class rank, why go to a community college? If its the cost, get FA or a scholarship. I'm not saying go private, but don't sacrifice academia just to be able to get ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be so quick to knock the community colleges, as many of them provide outstanding academic opportunities. I went to a community college for my first 2 years, and I'd venture to say that the small 2-year school that I went to in North Carolina provided me with a better foundation than many of my peers at the major university that I'm at now.

I strongly suggest that people consider these schools as a more affordable path to a 4-year degree. If you're going to do this, however, I would also suggest that instead of shooting for the 2-year degree, you decide which 4-year school you're going to attend, and take two years worth of coursework that will transfer to the 4-year school, and concentrate on general education requirements. Your wallet will love you for it!!

Back