AC 120-123

bLizZuE

Calling for engine starts en français
AC 120-123 Flightpath Management

Turns out the FAA thinks pilots should hand fly. Or MFO of the PFM.

Encouragement to manually fly the aircraft including, at least periodically, the entire departure and arrival phases and potentially the entire flight.
:eek:

Allow and encourage pilots to conduct manual flight with different combinations of automated systems and modes based on aircraft equipage and operational situations. Examples of different combinations of autoflight systems include the following:
  • FD on, AP off, AT on.
  • FD on, AP off, AT off.
  • FD off, AP off, AT off.
  • FD on, AP on, AT off.
  • FD off, AP off, AT on.

AC 120-123 Flightpath Management

Turns out the FAA thinks pilots should hand fly. Or MFO of the PFM.

:eek:
Anybody who has ever flown for a living knows this is what you need to do to stay proficient, even if they won’t admit it.

I’m all for automation, but the sharpest I ever was at just the act of operating an aerospace appliance was probably when I was single pilot in the 1900 with no autopilot.

The other thing to do is “fly more than just the straight in ILS.” If the weather is good, request the VOR approach, or egads, maybe even the NDB if you’re equipped for it.

Look in the op specs, you should see a list of the approaches you’re approved for - you should be able to do them all the ones that don’t require an autopilot by hand and at any intermediate level of automation you’re approved for. If you can’t get, do something about it.

Another thing you can do is spend a little money and buy a simulator. When I was flying medevac and barely flying I noticed my scan wasn’t as sharp as I thought it should be, so what did I do? Did I whine about it and click the autopilot on and forget about it? No. I bought a yoke and pedals for a couple hundred bucks and when I went on shift I flew a new approach to a random airport every night. Low and behold my scan was much better after barely any time.

Was it perfectly like the airplane? Of course not - plane and a yoke and pedals with no feedback is way • harder than the real thing lol - but that’s good. Your scan will be rock solid and you’ll know what’s up.

I fully expect someone to say “well, that skill doesn’t transfer to flying a jet with an FMS” or whatever - and maybe it doesn’t, but there’s something about thehands on connection between muscles and your brain that should be engaged more often than the first and last 2 minutes of flight.

For those who say “I don’t want to do stuff like that, I have a life and only want to get to the hotel as fast as possible ” well, tough •, it’s called professional ethics - if you feel you can do something to make yourself more proficient at the job… do it. Granted don’t fly 10 miles out of the way to shoot the approach, but maybe, use more than most accurate one.

1679436985167.gif

Back