Aborted Takeoff

[ QUOTE ]
Did they have clearance to cross the active?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they even had their transponder on.

I have, the door popped open at about 20 knots, tons of runway left, I thouht it was best to slow down and close it so that is what I did.

One thing I do every now and then to my students: during the t/o roll, when they are focused on the task at hand (as they should be),I drop a checklist or push thiers off their lap. The first time I do it my students always reach down to get it. When they do, I pull the power. Most of the time it scares the b-jesus out of them. Needless to say, they quickly learn to keep their hand on the throttle the entire time and FLY THE PLANE.

It isn't "if" the engine fails on takeoff, its "when" the engine fails.

P.S. tenney....I like the red, yellow, green idea.

Hmmm, this makes me wonder. I remember during the stage 1 check of my PPL, the chief flight instructor dropped a pen on the floor and kept asking me if I could see it. I told him that I had a spare one in my shirt pocket and gave it to him. I wonder if that was a trap
ooo.gif

Mahesh

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I aborted a takeoff in the very early days of my private training in a 152. Started the takeoff roll and was probably at about 40 knots when a pretty big flock of birds flew right across the runway. Scared the hell out of me!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they have clearance to cross the active?

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
grin.gif

We have standard pre-takeoff briefings for both single and multi-engine.

Single:

Should we experience any unusual noises, vibrations, or loss of power on the takeoff roll, we will immediately close the throttle and abort the takeoff.

Should we experience an engine loss with insufficient altitude, we will immediately pitch down to maintain airspeed, pick a landing point within 45 degrees, pitch to that landing point, and configure the airplane.

Should we experience an engine loss with sufficient altitude, we will pitch down to maintain airspeed and evaluate our options. (Meaning possible return to the airport, emergency checklists, landing point selection, etc.)

Multi:

Should we experience any unusual noises, vibrations, or loss of power on the takeoff roll, we will immediately close the throttles and abort the takeoff, maintaining directional control with the rudders.

Should we experience an engine loss with sufficient runway remaining and the gear are down, we'll step on the ball, pitch level, wings level, adjust the throttles as required, and land straight ahead.

Should we lose an engine with insufficient runway remaining or the gear are up, we will step on the ball, pitch level, wings level, mixture, prop, and throttles full forward, flaps up, gear up, identify - dead foot dead engine, verify using the throttle, feather using the prop control, and return to the airport for landing. (If we're at a safe altitude, we would use our emergency checklists before feathering.)

Single engine retracts use a combination of the two that incorporates the gear aspects of the multi briefing into the single engine briefing.

The above is said immediately before contacting the tower for takeoff clearance or announcing on CTAF for every takeoff except for go-arounds and touch-and-gos.

I use blueline as my decision maker.

At blueline the gear comes up.

So, if we have an engine failure on roll: close the throttles and stop straight ahead. If we have an engine failure before blueline we land "straight" ahead or within 30º of the runway centerline (like an engine failure in a single). If we have an engine failure after blueline we're going to try to make it back around to the runway and if that is not possible we will try to find a suitable landing site (field, road, etc. preferable in the direction of lower terrain).

only had to abort for real one time in a 172...taking off out of KRYY, got to about 45 knots when the plane started shaking real bad (and no it wasnt a crosswind blowing us across the runway)....thought i busted a tire....turns out the shimmy dampener went south for the winter. You ponder if your training will kick in when you need it and sho nuf...it did.
smirk.gif

I lost about 800 RPM on takeoff in a 172 and immediately aborted the takeoff about 50-85 above the runway. It was a 6000' runway, so not really a problem. No way in hell I was going to continue on partial power.

[ QUOTE ]
....turns out the shimmy dampener went south for the winter

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had this happen a couple of times to me in a couple of planes from a local flying club. Scared the sh*t out of me the first me.

JT, will they EVER fix the shimmy dampener on 75885? Everytime I land in that thing it feels like the nose wheel has swung around backwards!
smile.gif

75885 is in maintenance right now.

I have a phobia about that plane anyway. I've had three partial engine failures in it since I joined the "group" in 1987.

If I ever have any say in it we are selling that bird first!

Ed, we practiced them quite frequently when I got my multi-engine rating. I also remember practicing them once or twice in my primary training.

It's a good thing. Before I throttle up, I'm always thinking "stop, stop, stop" which keeps my mind in the mode to act. I pray that I never have to use it though.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....turns out the shimmy dampener went south for the winter

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had this happen a couple of times to me in a couple of planes from a local flying club. Scared the sh*t out of me the first me.

JT, will they EVER fix the shimmy dampener on 75885? Everytime I land in that thing it feels like the nose wheel has swung around backwards!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

129 is starting to do that since the wheel boots where put on.

Weird, just days after starting this thread I had my first real aborted takeoff due to a very high indication on the loadmeter
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Weird, just days after starting this thread I had my first real aborted takeoff due to a very high indication on the loadmeter
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Should we have a thread about gear-up landings now?
ooo.gif
[/twilight zone music]

[ QUOTE ]
OK, but only if YOU start it!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know.....there's something to be said for kicking the devil in the ass when his back is turned....

then again.......

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know.....there's something to be said for kicking the devil in the ass when his back is turned....

then again.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you would be heading back from Iraq a lot quicker.

grin.gif

Yesterday morning during a lesson, just after taking off at about 50-75 agl, the power completely died and we were forced to abort. Fortunately, with a 7000 ft runway we had plenty of asphalt available. After aborting, everything looked normal during another runup on the ground. The problem was when it was in a nose high attitude...Turns out the fuel strain valve by the engine had remained stuck open after I had checked the fuel during preflight, although no fuel was coming out in that position. Aparently when the fuel selector valve in the cabin is in the off position, fuel will not flow to this strainer. So, there was just enough fuel in the strainer bowl to check the fuel and then it was stuck open, so that when in the cabin, i turned on the selector, fuel was pouring out without us knowing it. This was a major lesson.

Does anyone remember a flying article (I think it was flying), that presented a method for assessing your takeoff position in a single-engine aircraft.

Something about using the runway length markers and airspeed indicator in a very simple to use, but complex to understand method. Very quickly gave you an indication as to whether you should or could abort.

If anyone does remember if, or know where this is a copy (google isn't helping this morning), I'd be very interested in seeing it again. Are any of you familiar with the technique, is it just something I missed out on in my primary training?

Thanks

Back