AA TA?

APA members reject tentative agreement
posted on August 08, 2012 12:39
APA INFORMATION HOTLINE
This is APA Communications Director Gregg Overman with the APA Information Hotline for Wednesday, Aug. 8.
APA MEMBERS REJECT TENTATIVE AGREEMENT: Shortly after voting ended at noon Central Daylight Time today, Ballot Point certified the following results in the tentative agreement vote: 2,935 pilots voted for the tentative agreement, and 4,600 pilots voted against the tentative agreement. Therefore, the tentative agreement isrejected.
We would like to express our appreciation to everyone who exercised their democratic right to cast a ballot in this membership ratification. The APA Board of Directors is now in session at APA headquarters in Fort Worth discussing next steps with the National Officers and other members of the union’s leadership, and we will provide further updates as events warrant.

Meanwhile, at HDQ:

"Good...good..."
Emperor-Palpatine.jpg

I don't think so. I think they were counting on this. I doubt they're going to get the relief from a BK judge that they want in this environment. They don't have the same argument that management had in the mid-'00s about their competition paying far less. If I had to bet on it, I'd say this is ultimately heading towards Doug Parker getting his way.

American Airlines pilots reject contract offer, bankruptcy judge could impose harsh terms

By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, August 8, 10:56 AM

DALLAS — Pilots for American Airlines are expressing their anger with management by overwhelmingly rejecting the company’s final contract offer, but mechanics approved a contract by a razor-thin margin.

American will likely ask a federal bankruptcy judge for permission to break its existing contract with pilots and impose its terms for pay and work rules.

The Allied Pilots Association said Wednesday that the vote against the contract was 4,600 to 2,935.

American offered the pilots pay raises and a 13.5 percent stake in the new company in exchange for more flexibility to shift flying to partner airlines.

The Transport Workers Union said mechanics voted 50.25 percent to 49.75 percent to accept a contract that gives them 3 percent raises.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Good for you APA! There most likely will be tough choices ahead but thank you for taking a stand on what's right!

Just out of curiosity but how did APA take a stand? Didn't APA advocate in favor of ratifying the TA?

Just out of curiosity but how did APA take a stand? Didn't APA advocate in favor of ratifying the TA?

No no no, my friend, that is only how DA... Oh crap, I'll be here all day if I get started.

Reactions: Cav
The union is a collection of all members in good standing. That being said, with a majority of the members saying no the APA said no. That's the way I'm looking at it and maybe I'm way off. It wouldn't be the first time.

The union is a collection of all members in good standing. That being said, with a majority of the members saying no the APA said no. That's the way I'm looking at it and maybe I'm way off. It wouldn't be the first time.

It seems more to me that the pilot group told the company and the union (or perhaps the union leadership) no thanks. But I come from a perspective where I feel my union doesn't necessarily represent my interests.

It seems more to me that the pilot group told the company and the union (or perhaps the union leadership) no thanks. But I come from a perspective where I feel my union doesn't necessarily represent my interests.

How underwhelming was that "raise" in your check? :)

How underwhelming was that "raise" in your check? :)

We got a raise? I thought that was extra beer reimbursement.

Next summer on reserve with ALV+15 is going to be a real peach. But that only cost us 300 potential pilot jobs....or was it 150 after the revised estimate? Translation you ain't gonna get no new hires and the response to our early out stick and carrot was as exciting as a recent M. Night Shyamalan movie.

There is always something that you won't like in an individual contract/pilot work agreement. The idea that over 60% of the pilot group thought this was garbage speaks volumes. As ATN_Pilot said times have changed and labor groups now understand how to push back against the "cost competitive" argument management makes.

Back