AA canceled flights

While I believe this is a work action, I think the new work rules would lead to real issues eventually. Now that the work rules are being made up by management as they go along. It would be a matter of time before the extra days, hours or duties take its toll on the pilots in the form of illness, medicine stress, alcohol fatigue or emotion. Maybe the flight crews are just resting up now so they are ready for when it really hits the fan.

Don't forget that AA peeps are OLD. Fatigue sets in much faster on an older person that someone younger.

Don't forget that AA peeps are OLD. Fatigue sets in much faster on an older person that someone younger.
I'm 25 and I like my beauty rest get tired, and think that there's a real, unadressed fatigue problem in aviation too, just sayin'. :)

You have to be a moron not to see that the APA is advocating a 'sickout.'

Pilots are very short-sighted individuals. Airline pilots seem to be more so.

Look at the work ethic of employee's at successful companies; outside aviation as well. There is a mutual understanding of how success works.
Funny how I don't see airlines on here; nor are the top ones Unionized...

Maybe you're short sighted for not asking whether any of the companies on your list have screwed their employees out of money, time with families, retirement, furlough, etc. Brushing a broad stroke about some great companies and saying why can't they be like these guys has nothing to do with the problem at AA. It's just a bit more complex than that.

I'm just saying it is even worse for them.
I'm aware; I've watched how long it takes my dad to recover from a trip throughout his career. It takes him a lot longer in the "out years" than it used to.

It's LONG past time to get real about fatigue; maybe this will help put the spotlight on the problem...but I doubt it.

I'm aware; I've watched how long it takes my dad to recover from a trip throughout his career. It takes him a lot longer in the "out years" than it used to.

It's LONG past time to get real about fatigue; maybe this will help put the spotlight on the problem...but I doubt it.

As you know it will take the blood of passengers to make any major changes. Unfortunately this may happen now with the new rules at AA.

Maybe you're short sighted for not asking whether any of the companies on your list have screwed their employees out of money, time with families, retirement, furlough, etc. Brushing a broad stroke about some great companies and saying why can't they be like these guys has nothing to do with the problem at AA. It's just a bit more complex than that.

Do you think I made up that list, or did I put it under quotes for reason?

I agree with you Mike. But let me ask you this: How can the employees "target" management? Laws are written in their favor, they have a get out of jail card, they never act in good faith, and they've created the rules so that you can't hit them back. This is the only way in my opinion

Get the pax to the destination (barring the plane truly being down) and show up for work, if not legitimately sick, for one. Now, as far as writing planes up for everything and calling management for direction on things due to there being no contract, that I can understand.

This reinforces my personal policy from day one which has been to just do it the way the book says no matter what.

I don't care if the F/A tells me the carpet is torn at some outstation, it's going in the logbook at that moment and if it costs $700 for some contract mechanic to come over and sign it then that's decision the company made years prior when they decided to outsource that.

Skip the BS, something is either broken or it's not, and I don't care if we're in negotiations or they just gave us bonuses, it has zero effect on the logbook procedures and it never will.

This normal way of operating has never delayed a flight yet.

Do you think I made up that list, or did I put it under quotes for reason?
Maybe you didn't make it up, but that list is pure BS. I worked at Wegman's back when it was at the top of that list and it's just as crappy of a job as any supermarket job. Management was always reminding us how proud they were of being the best place to work, especially as they glared at us when we were filling out job satisfaction surveys. So no wonder it's scores are high...

On the first day we watched a bizarre and un-called for anti-union movie. Then I think I remember signing something agreeing to not join a union. After that we watched a movie on how great a place it is to work. The one part I remember from the video is a lady who was ecstatic that her old broom that she loved had broken, and was replaced with a different broom that she didn't particularly care for. After complaining to management, they gave her a replacement like the old broom she loved.

That's how you make a #1 company folks! LMFAO:bounce:

At the same time though, though these laypeople know nothing of the woes at AA, they are a representation of the perception thats out there in the general public; unfortunately.

The way I see it; people are used to seeing the pilot not management executives wandering around airports. They're the easiest target. Now if it was the other way around or at least mandatory that some sort of airline executive has to permanently be stationed at every airport their airline flies to it might be somewhat different. "Yeah, see that gentleman over there. Yes, the balding fella with the Rolex and cuff lings? He'll explain everything"
It seems every one of these articles has this Bruce Hicks clown speaking on AAs behalf. How about someone within the higher ranks over there steps up to explain to the general public the real situation. Seems a little cowardly to send out a "spokesperson" to do the finger pointing.

Yeah, reading comments sections on the internet is the quickest way to lose all faith in humanity.

Indeed. Yes, indeed.

Check out any "reader comments" section on the Arizona Republic website.

Probably not so bad once they started charging for full access however.

Back