AA-1427 737-8 MAX High speed RTO @ SVD

I hate to think what the ARFF resources are like in a lot of those places.

This is one of two ARFF trucks at a Caribbean airport that has 121 mainline service.

1623091928439.jpeg

I no-kidding thought of that pretty regularly in some of former employer’s stations. Allegedly there was fire service everywhere.

Allegedly.
I vaguely remember there being a bulletin for some airport with the gist of “stop arriving early, you’re getting there before ARFF is there.”
I’m sure the block times were insanely off too.

This is one of two ARFF trucks at a Caribbean airport that has 121 mainline service.

View attachment 59521

heartbreaking. But not surprising. Those island airfields, and even coastal ones, really have to do extra preventative maintenance on their trucks. Especially against corrosion and rust from the salt air. For trucks kept outdoors especially, but even ones kept indoors, a freshwater washdown daily is important, along with being very careful with keeping items that needs to be greased and lubed, done so.

At least one of the stations we had at Mesaba was set up with the lone firefighter being the fueler also. I think it was somewhere in Michigan.

I no-kidding thought of that pretty regularly in some of former employer’s stations. Allegedly there was fire service everywhere.

Allegedly.
My former facility had an unmanned ARFF with equipment and everything until a Yak made what appeared to be an uneventful landing and then burnt to the ground. Granted we only had corporate traffic, no 121. After that happened a crew from the local "international" airport rotated in.

My former facility had an unmanned ARFF with equipment and everything until a Yak made what appeared to be an uneventful landing and then burnt to the ground. Granted we only had corporate traffic, no 121. After that happened a crew from the local "international" airport rotated in.

It’s a money thing, especially if it’s not needed at smaller airports during the times when air carrier traffic is not operating. No requirement during those times to have it manned, so a number of airports don’t.

I vaguely remember there being a bulletin for some airport with the gist of “stop arriving early, you’re getting there before ARFF is there.”
I’m sure the block times were insanely off too.
Quincy, Illinois was definitely one at OO

??? Are you even familiar with SVD ? there is no taxiway + they blew two fuse plugs. All mains had to be replaced
Do you know what a High speed RTO can do to a plane ?

Which is why “before 80 knots, we’ll abort for most things, after 80 knots, fire, engine failure wind shear… if we get a thrust not set, we’ll go to TOGA” or something like that.

But I fly an airbus. Everything else (kinda) is going to be inhibited.

Back