AA-1427 737-8 MAX High speed RTO @ SVD

melax

Job well done ! the runway seems wet too. I don't know the passenger load, but with fuel to reach MIA it was not a very light plane , using the ground references from the video they stopped the plane using about 2,000ft with another 1800 to spare. Quick reacting Crew ! the way it should be :biggrin:.
I wonder what the airport authorities are doing about the bird problem ?
Good advertisement for the MAX :cool:

Last edited:
Looked more like training than a real abort. No?

Stopped in runway instead of clearing at a taxiway.

Looked more like training than a real abort. No?

Stopped in runway instead of clearing at a taxiway.

We don’t practice high speed aborts in the airplane… ever.

In a transport category aircraft that is a high risk maneuver, frequently doesn’t end that well, at a minimum puts a huge thermal load on the brakes and wheels, and very May well destroy the brakes and wheels.

That being said, it was about as eventful as one that happens in the sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won’t clear until I’m absolutely certain we aren’t on fire; vehicles have a much easier time on the runway than possibly on a taxiway.

No.

My reject- my runway.

For me it’s an “it depends”. If I know I haven’t blown a tire, I’ll turn off onto the exit or high speed, and stop there. If a blown tire or fire, then sure, stop where I’m stopped and deal with it appropriately. no need to foil a runway unless truly necessary.

Do you guys on the guppy still press the brakes or set it to RTO and let the machine stop for you?

Set RTO, but disengage it with the manual brakes as soon as it’s not needed once it’s doing it’s work.

Have had four RTOs in my time that I can easily remember, one high speed at 160 kts, two right around 110 or so and well below V1 (which was higher than takeoff speed due to the runway length), and one low speed that was insignificant. They can vary from good to bad, depending on a good number of factors.

For me it’s an “it depends”. If I know I haven’t blown a tire, I’ll turn off onto the exit or high speed, and stop there. If a blown tire or fire, then sure, stop where I’m stopped and deal with it appropriately. no need to foil a runway unless truly necessary.

Sure. Until you make that decision though, you own it. I only fly one plane at a time. It’s someone else’s job to worry about the traffic behind me.

Sure. Until you make that decision though, you own it. I only fly one plane at a time. It’s someone else’s job to worry about the traffic behind me.

Yup. It all depends on the SA level I have on what’s going on down there. If it’s insignificant, I’ll clear but just enough to an exit, no further. If it’s anything significant or suspected, ill stop. And that’s for a high speed abort. If it’s a low speed abort, I’m not going to foul the runway for that. Hence “it depends”. agree overall, with you.

Last edited:
Yup. It all depends on the SA level I have on what’s going on down there. If it’s insignificant, I’ll clear but just enough to an exit, no further. If it’s anything significant or suspected, ill stop. And that’s for a high speed abort. If it’s a low speed abort, I’m not going to foul the runway for that. Hence “it depends”.
MikeD There is nowhere to "clear" at SVD, there is no taxiway, you have to do a 180 at the end of the RWY, so they did the right thing. They also blew the main tires. The RWY is 8999ft
Errata, typo in the map legend Should read SVD instead of SVG
1623084390479.png

Attachments

• 1623084137374.png
    1623084137374.png
    2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
MikeD There is nowhere to "clear" at SVD, there is no taxiway, you have to do a 180 at the end of the RWY, so they did the right thing. They also blew the main tires. The RWY is 8999ft

View attachment 59513

oh I know, it was mentioned before and makes complete sense. Obviously, in order to clear the runway if one chooses to, there must be a place to clear to. I wasn’t criticizing what this AA crew did, they did a great job. I was just speaking in general terms with the rest of the conversation regarding the generalities of RTOs

Yup. It all depends on the SA level I have on what’s going on down there. If it’s insignificant, I’ll clear but just enough to an exit, no further. If it’s anything significant or suspected, ill stop. And that’s for a high speed abort. If it’s a low speed abort, I’m not going to foul the runway for that. Hence “it depends”. agree overall, with you.
Oh noooo we sent SkyWest around!

Anyway!

Back