A330 lust

Just landed in Boston. While taxiing in a spiffy Delta A330 was in the flare and I just about taxied into the snow drift watching her land. My baby Boeing seemed so.....well, undersized. I now have Derg envy big time. :fury:

That is a damn good looking plane. Hold out for the 350?

Or the 787-9.

Anything with a 9 in it is gonna be big!!!
Big-Baby-Eating-Food-Reaction.gif

It would've made a great aerial tanker for the USAF too as the KC-46. And was about to, until Boeing cried and had a temper tantrum after losing, then got their way.

Hmmmm... my comment isn't meant to be jingoistic in nature, but I believe solely because it's always been that way that government vehicles should all be American.
The Presidents motorcade is all GM cars. Not BMW or Mercedes. Same thing with Fed vehicles. They roll modded Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans .

All military aircraft, IMO should also exclusively be American.

Hmmmm... my comment isn't meant to be jingoistic in nature, but I believe solely because it's always been that way that government vehicles should all be American.
The Presidents motorcade is all GM cars. Not BMW or Mercedes. Same thing with Fed vehicles. They roll modded Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans .

All military aircraft, IMO should also exclusively be American.

We had British Harriers, the AV-8A/C versions, the F-21A Kfir was Israeli, the USCG HH-65 is a Eurocopter, the US Army UH-72 Lakota is a Eurocopter, as well as a few other examples.

If US made equipment is good enough for other countries to use for their Air Forces, why is it so bad for the USA to use equipment made from other countries?

If US made equipment is good enough for other countries to use for their Air Forces, why is it so bad for the USA to use equipment made from other countries?

We kind of do, in a twisted, bureaucratic way. :)

"According to Pentagon documents reviewed by Reuters, chief U.S. arms buyer Frank Kendall allowed two F-35 suppliers, Northrop Grumman Corp and Honeywell International Inc, to use Chinese magnets for the new warplane's radar system, landing gears and other hardware. Without the waivers, both companies could have faced sanctions for violating federal law and the F-35 program could have faced further delays.

The waivers apply to inexpensive parts, including $2 magnets, installed on 115 F-35 test, training and production aircraft, the last of which are due to be delivered in May 2014. Lawmakers noted that several U.S. companies make similar magnets."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-u-waived-laws-keep-f-35-track-204531422--sector.html

We had British Harriers, the AV-8A/C versions, the F-21A Kfir was Israeli, the USCG HH-65 is a Eurocopter, the US Army UH-72 Lakota is a Eurocopter, as well as a few other examples.

I guess that I got taken to school!

Anyway, like I said. My opinion isn't really based upon any kind of real fact, more like. I like it this way because it's the way it's always been. And it always should be this way. Lol!

Jingoism, maybe?

I guess that I got taken to school!

Anyway, like I said. My opinion isn't really based upon any kind of real fact, more like. I like it this way because it's the way it's always been. And it always should be this way. Lol!

Jingoism, maybe?

No, you're not taken to school; the examples I gave were only examples of a few we've used. We don't use much, I agree with you, but we have used some and still do. Still it's a small amount. Im just playing the devil advocate.

With the A330/KC-46, it would really be just another example of the above; but there is a very rabid sect of people I've run into who don't want anything foreign made in our military; and while they think the A330 is cool at the airlines, the thought of it being in our USAF is unthinkable. I just find that an interesting/amusing thought process..

Truthfully, the destinations and schedules will likely determine my widebody choices in the future. Our 787s go to Lagos, Nigeria. No thanks, I would rather head to Costa Rica or Belize in my 737-900 and just admire the big boys from afar.
Just did my first turn through Lagos.

Good decision. That's just based on the turn.

Back