A319 bypass pin question

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
Anybody here familiar with the A319?

The other day I pushed out Air Canada, and the Captain wanted the bypass pin removed before disconnecting from the aircraft.:eek: He said something about being able to remove the pin anytime the parking brake is set. I dont know about that though.

It's called a bypass pin for a reason! It bypasses the hydraulic NLG steering so you can manually(towbar+tug) steer the a/c. So anytime the hydraulic systems are on, you need a bypass pin to push back or tow. If not you're going to break something or injur someone. If you've ever taken out the bypass pin when the NLG wheels aren't pointed straight, you'll notice that as soon as the pin is removed the gear will usually swivel by itself as hydraulic power is restored and the CA can now use the tiller to steer.

...as soon as the pin is removed the gear will usually swivel by itself as hydraulic power is restored...

That seems like a bad thing if there is a tug and/or towbar still attached to the kerjigger and you're standing anywhere nearby. :confused:

http://gayviator.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7828

I that this is what happens...

The AA captain on GVA posted these pics!

Nope... different thing entirely. The AA thing looks like they tried to move the aircraft using engine thrust, while it was still connected to the tug. The pin in this instance is the one that connects the towbar to the tug.

The Airbus pin is one that bypasses the hydraulic system so the nosewheel steering (which is hydraulicly powered) doesn't move fight the tug pushing the plane back.

Nope... different thing entirely. The AA thing looks like they tried to move the aircraft using engine thrust, while it was still connected to the tug. The pin in this instance is the one that connects the towbar to the tug.

The Airbus pin is one that bypasses the hydraulic system so the nosewheel steering (which is hydraulicly powered) doesn't move fight the tug pushing the plane back.

Oh, okay...I wasn't sure!

It's called a bypass pin for a reason! It bypasses the hydraulic NLG steering so you can manually(towbar+tug) steer the a/c. So anytime the hydraulic systems are on, you need a bypass pin to push back or tow. If not you're going to break something or injur someone. If you've ever taken out the bypass pin when the NLG wheels aren't pointed straight, you'll notice that as soon as the pin is removed the gear will usually swivel by itself as hydraulic power is restored and the CA can now use the tiller to steer.

In our ops, the YELLOW hyd pumps were OFF and during start, the a/skid and nosewheel steering switch was also OFF. Our manual noted that BEFORE turning ON the A/Skid and Nosewheel steering, verify a 'thumbs up' before.

The answer to the question is what is standard ops for that airline.

Correct. At SJA, on the Boeing types, the hydraulics are on prior to push and the bypass pin is in. After the push is complete, the towbar is detached, and the ramper holds the pin up to show that it has been removed.

In our ops, the YELLOW hyd pumps were OFF and during start, the a/skid and nosewheel steering switch was also OFF. Our manual noted that BEFORE turning ON the A/Skid and Nosewheel steering, verify a 'thumbs up' before.

So if they have the hydraulics to the nose wheel turned off, then the bypass pin can be removed with the tug still attached?

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.

So if they have the hydraulics to the nose wheel turned off, then the bypass pin can be removed with the tug still attached?

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.

Again, it is specific to the airline operating that piece of equipment. Before I repositioned the pin, I would verify the yellow pumps were off, no pressure and the anti-skid and nosewheel steering switch was in the OFF position.

Although it is unlikely for a sys to pressurize with switches off, it has happened.

Safety first... ask the crew and if in doubt, don't do it. Healing and incident boards take longer than asking questions.

That seems like a bad thing if there is a tug and/or towbar still attached to the kerjigger and you're standing anywhere nearby. :confused:
Yet ASA sent us a memo saying they want us to disconnect the steering on their CRJ's only AFTER we've connected the towbar. Steering connected+no tug attached to stop the towbar from smashing your legs into a pulp if the captain happens to move the tiller. We all said screw that and pretty much ignored it.

Yet ASA sent us a memo saying they want us to disconnect the steering on their CRJ's only AFTER we've connected the towbar. Steering connected+no tug attached to stop the towbar from smashing your legs into a pulp if the captain happens to move the tiller. We all said screw that and pretty much ignored it.

Do you mean the NSW Steering switch in the cockpit or the scissors connection behind the nose wheel? if you mean the scissors, why are you disconnecting them unless you are parking the plane in some really strange places.

I'm thinking its just the sequence of events that takes place to connect the tobar prior to push. I'm with you Ethan, when the plane is parked the torque links should be connected. Our station found out the hard way, we had a CRJ that was parked that that they dropped the links on that did a pirouette just like the video of the Tulsa Tornado.

When connecting the bar just prior to push, drop the torque links then connect the towbar.

p.s. A tug on the end of the tow bar will not stop the nose gear from moving. It just adds mass to all that moving crap that is trying to kill you.;)

Back