A319 bypass pin question

Not the rudder we stole from you guys. I think we put 3 or 4 planes into something during pushback last year. I just took off part of a winglet on the side of a catering truck.
Thats okay we lost a winglet in the wing of a Colgan Saab in LGA. We loose most of our winglets to fuel trucks. When I was at MAG we lost a horizontal stab to a SWA 737 winglet.

Actually, you, as the push crew lead, are responsible for the aircraft's movements while connected to the tug. Not the entire airframe. As a pilot, I've got no problem with that having been pushed back into another airplane once before, I'd just as soon not have the responsibility when moving backwards and I can't see.
Push lead? Hell, where I'm at we're lucky to have a wingwalker and somebody who's even qualified to push. :D

Push lead? Hell, where I'm at we're lucky to have a wingwalker and somebody who's even qualified to push. :D
:yup: We were so short staffed I started out with 2 wing walkers and when I finished the push, they disappeared to wing walk another flight.

:yup: We were so short staffed I started out with 2 wing walkers and when I finished the push, they disappeared to wing walk another flight.
It's so bad here we had one guy trying to load an ERJ himself. He'd put some bags on, climb up, stack, then come back and start it all over again. The next day I saw BOTH pilots out there with their hats on throwing bags up the belt.

It's so bad here we had one guy trying to load an ERJ himself. He'd put some bags on, climb up, stack, then come back and start it all over again. The next day I saw BOTH pilots out there with their hats on throwing bags up the belt.

I can top that. A Delta 737 and NWA 320 came in at the same time. Only four people on the ramp. On Delta we had one guy upload and two people in the pit. One guy off loading the NWA bags, runs the bags, and then uploads the bags. Each plane took a 30 minute hit. Funny thing is that both planes came in early. We been trying to hiring a new sup, but for some reason no one wants to take the job:)

I can top that. A Delta 737 and NWA 320 came in at the same time. Only four people on the ramp. On Delta we had one guy upload and two people in the pit. One guy off loading the NWA bags, runs the bags, and then uploads the bags. Each plane took a 30 minute hit. Funny thing is that both planes came in early. We been trying to hiring a new sup, but for some reason no one wants to take the job:)
haha damn, I thought for sure we had to be the worst. Supposedly about 80% of our flights come in on time and 30% go out on time.

I say over 90 percent come in on time, but only 5 percent goes out on time. We can't even meet Delta requirement of 85 percent on the kiosk. I think we did 30 percent the other day.

haha oh yeah, a few weeks ago a Pinnacle flight was apparently almost ready to take off when ops called them to come back because they realized they loaded it with the bags for another flight.

haha oh yeah, a few weeks ago a Pinnacle flight was apparently almost ready to take off when ops called them to come back because they realized they loaded it with the bags for another flight.

Lol now that is funny, that was my worst nightmare over at Horizon cause we often had the LAX, SAN, SEA, BOI, SMF, and PDX around the same time.

It's gonna start happening a lot more at our station. For whatever reason they decided they needed to change the flight numbers, so now we have 9E 4291 and ASA 4921. It used to be straightforward enough since NW and DL bag tags looked different but now since the merger we get a few random ones that have DL looking tags but are for 9E flights. Considering we have our share of people who don't pay attention I'd say passenger complaints are about to go through the roof. ;)

I have enough stupid stories from the ramp to fill a book.

They managed once to only put one of two carts of bags on a full -700 going to CVG. Nobody noticed that they put 30 bags in the airplane for 70 people. On top of that they wrote that there was 100 bags on the bag slip for the crew because thats what the computer said.

I've done everything (and by everything I mean it) for an inbound RON RJ before. Marshall them in, plug in the gpu, push the stairs up, go back climb on top of the gate check cart, open the bin, chuck the gate checks out, let the people off, lead them in and open the door, once everyone is off, drive the bag cart next to the bin, climb back in and huck the checked bags onto the cart, dump the bags at bag claim, do all the missing bag files, go back out and clean a disgusting airplane.

Usually we'd wait and pair up for the checked bags, but it was VERY common to do everything else solo.

I've done the whole turn (gate and ramp) for a 1900 solo

Some one set the jetway canopy down on a hot pitot tube. Bent it, and put a huge hole in the canopy.

someone at 9E dispatch thought it would be a good idea to send a non-RVSM bird on the worlds longest CRJ flight. Had to make a fuel stop in both directions.

Some MCO based CA and FA both had a stick shoved so far up their asses one morning. Long story short he cancelled the flight because "the plane froze" then next week when he came back he talked about the whole thing in the third person. I SOOOOOO called him out on that, he was beat red in the face, especially when I was the one who took all the heat from him the week prior.

I'm glad the couch in the breakroom can't talk.

I know why half the wheelchairs are missing the foot rests.

No smoking on the ramp???? HA!!!! like that never happens.

It's gonna start happening a lot more at our station. For whatever reason they decided they needed to change the flight numbers, so now we have 9E 4291 and ASA 4921. It used to be straightforward enough since NW and DL bag tags looked different but now since the merger we get a few random ones that have DL looking tags but are for 9E flights. Considering we have our share of people who don't pay attention I'd say passenger complaints are about to go through the roof. ;)

Easy to tell with ours all Delta and Skywest flight will have: CB, DB, and Hots. While NWA have the terminals codes: C, F, G, and A. So if you messed that up, then I don't know what is wrong with you. I stopped working the counter, I can't stand that stupid bag fee questions.

Easy to tell with ours all Delta and Skywest flight will have: CB, DB, and Hots. While NWA have the terminals codes: C, F, G, and A. So if you messed that up, then I don't know what is wrong with you. I stopped working the counter, I can't stand that stupid bag fee questions.
Hm, they never taught us that. Our training consisted of a day or two listening to somebody read out of Delta's training manual. Don't most airlines send you away for a week or two of training?
Gotta love contract companies...

Hm, they never taught us that. Our training consisted of a day or two listening to somebody read out of Delta's training manual. Don't most airlines send you away for a week or two of training?
Gotta love contract companies...

I had one week of BST in Spokane. Then I got sent out to SLC for two weeks for training on Delta terms. When I got back I got a crash course on Delta and NWA above and below wing all on the computer. The only difference I saw, was when there is a engine fire RUN!!!!!

I have enough stupid stories from the ramp to fill a book.

They managed once to only put one of two carts of bags on a full -700 going to CVG. Nobody noticed that they put 30 bags in the airplane for 70 people. On top of that they wrote that there was 100 bags on the bag slip for the crew because thats what the computer said.
Wow! Duh! The numbers on the load slip needs to match the computer!:rolleyes:

I've done everything (and by everything I mean it) for an inbound RON RJ before. Marshall them in, plug in the gpu, push the stairs up, go back climb on top of the gate check cart, open the bin, chuck the gate checks out, let the people off, lead them in and open the door, once everyone is off, drive the bag cart next to the bin, climb back in and huck the checked bags onto the cart, dump the bags at bag claim, do all the missing bag files, go back out and clean a disgusting airplane.
MCO was almost, but not as bad as that. We had the sides of the hallway divided up into north side ramp and south side ramp. We had about 4-6 people a side (including leads), 4 local bag drivers(2 a side) and 2 transfer bag drivers (both sides). handling 20-30 flights a shift. Delta has that many handling just one DCI flight here in CVG at the gates that Delta ACS handles. Oh and they have one Comair guy who fuels and dumps the lavs!:wtf?: Delta hasn't let any of the CVG gang go; even with the seriously reduced mainline flight schedule.

I'm glad the couch in the breakroom can't talk.
If it did, what stories would it tell?:crazy:

Do you mean the NSW Steering switch in the cockpit or the scissors connection behind the nose wheel? if you mean the scissors, why are you disconnecting them unless you are parking the plane in some really strange places.

Apparently there were problems at one point with rampers turning the nose gear too far on the push and damaging the airplanes.

It also reduces the chances for damage if the captain accidentally bumps the nosewheel steering switch.

My point was more along the lines of unless you are cranking the thing more than 70 (I think) degrees there is no reason to ever disconnect the scissors in the first place. I pretty certain that on the Airways Express side of things they never do it. It's just one less thing that rampers can forget to put back together/close/reattach. I've had to return to field twice because mechanics didn't put the scissors back together after they pushed us out of the hangar (requiring more than a 70 degree turn).

Nice thing about them always being disconnected, they are always reconnected.

You didn't notice the scissors weren't connected when you started trying to taxi?

I know the -200 the torque links need to be un-pinned during push back or tow. I never worked a -700/-900 when I was on the ramp. Justin can chime in since they had those (-700) up in BGR when he was at Comair. Justin, is there a difference between using those electric tugs here in CVG versus a normal tug and towbar?

Are you sure? I've never seen one of ours disconnected during normal pushback with a towbar.

There is no pulling links on the -700s (at least as far as the ramp is concerned) There is a bolt with a crown nut, and a cotter pin that keeps the links together or something like that.

It was SOP to pop the links on all the -200s that we pushed, Comair, ASA, and Pinnacle. Weather or not its 9E's policy to drop em I don't know, we tended to do "the Comair thing" on their airplanes anyways.

It's a requirement for 9E 200 flights that the scissors be disconnected.

Back